The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2011 entrée: Bob Cassidy » » The Ethics of Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not at all. I don't know where you got that from. But can we knock it off? Or do I have to report my own thread?

This one is about THE ETHICS OF MENTALISM
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Bob... Can't you use your power (and your PRIDE) to psycho-kinetically disconnect this user's login? Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
Right, right.
As to the ethics of mentalism in regard to the claiming of special powers:
Do you think that the idea that such a claim is for entertainment purposes justifies it?
Do you think that if the people knew that you were deceiving them they would be angry?
If it rests on entertainment value is that to suggest that a boring mentalist would be unethical?
How does something being entertainment justify it?
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
And I NEVER called him PRIDEFUL!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-11-21 18:23, BenjaminMan wrote:
Right, right.
As to the ethics of mentalism in regard to the claiming of special powers:
Do you think that the idea that such a claim is for entertainment purposes justifies it?
Do you think that if the people knew that you were deceiving them they would be angry?
If it rests on entertainment value is that to suggest that a boring mentalist would be unethical?
How does something being entertainment justify it?

Yes to the first question.

No to the second (not in my experience anyway)

As to the third, there is nothing unethical about being boring. It's just not a very effective form of showmanship.

As to the last- it is the same question as the first. Reread my original post.

Good thoughts,

Bob
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
Interesting.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Obviously I don't belong in mentalism. Not right now, anyways.
Not for a long while I expect. (if ever.)

Thanks.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

So what's wrong with just being a magician then? It's an honorable profession.

Your welcome!

Best-

Bob
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Quote:
On 2011-11-21 18:30, BenjaminMan wrote:
Interesting.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Obviously I don't belong in mentalism. Not right now, anyways.

Not for a long while I expect. (if ever.)

No offense meant, so don't take it personally but from all your previous posts it was evident that mentalism was not for you, as you said yourself now.
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
Hence, I clarify I am not a mentalist.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
But as Cassidy said there's nothing wrong with being a good magician.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2011-11-21 18:02, BenjaminMan wrote:
I'm sure you are older than me,
and that I am immature and stupid.
-Benjamin

This was my point, perhaps you are taking things the wrong way. That was not at all how it was intended.

The reason I asked about your age is simply for a point of reference. If you are someone that had been in the business for twenty years, asking the questions you have is a bit different than if you are young or just starting out asking the same questions.

Rather than being defensive, you will find you get get more information, knowledge and assistance if you are open-minded, willing to let us know a bit about yourself, and allow us to have a better understanding of yourself and your interests. We all started somewhere, and the is nothing wrong with being young. It was just a question, not meant to be offensive from those trying to share with you.

Do you realize who you are talking to? Bob Cassidy is one of the all-time greats in Mentalism and not only do you have direct access to him here, he is taking more time with you and to answer and assist you here more than any other single person for the entire week Bob has been the Guest of Honor. I don't think it was asking to much for you to answer a single question after all the assistance and info that's been offered to you and quality answers to your many questions and perception (or misperceptions)
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
But I don't think Bob was the one who asked me the question.
I also don't recall being very defensive. I said I was probably younger than you, and immature.
I just thought it was a bit of a silly question.

I have little to no experience in the mentalist area, and very little in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2011 entrée: Bob Cassidy » » The Ethics of Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL