We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Do you keep a count of you tricks? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
So many excellent tips in this thread ! I need to keep up with my inventory as well, it is about time Smile
I Love You God Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2011, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Notice! The very worst thing a magician can do is separate the instructions from the prop. Keeping the instructions in a 3 ring binder is not a good idea at all.

I have been to a number of Estate auctions, and if the instructions are not with the props or props, then they do not include them in the sale. What I have seen is, the last item to auction off is the binder of instructions. So the persons that just bought the props are without the benefit of how to work the trick.

Card tricks are just all thrown in a box and sold for next to nothing, again if not packaged with the instructions, are gone for good. Now most everything is going on DVD, so that makes it yet another sale of separate DVDs.

I suggest you put a trick with it's instructions in a plastic bag and write the name of the trick on the bag. That way they will be kept together.

Why, because guys that obtain Estate magic, do not go through and match up the instructions with the props. It is just to big a job. Plus they can tell the widow, that it is not worth much as is, so you are taking away from your wife or relatives. I have seen a number of widows get ripped off by knowing magician who take advantage of them.

I cannot believe this question has not been responded to by the word, TAXES. If you do shows, even as a side job, the magic purchase for the year can be taken off your "Hobby" earnings, thus lowering the taxes you must pay for additional income from a side business or hobby.

And the proper word for is "Inventory"! Depreciation is another word, if you don't take all the value the 1st year.

Yes!!!!!Bill has given you some of the BEST advice that I've seen in any forum in the Café!

I have helped a number of widows' of old friends, dispose of props, books, etc. NONE of my old friends were "organized"! I vividly recall a situation in Ohio. I didn't know the deceased magician. A dealer, whom I did know, suggested I stop and see the widow. I did. EVERYTHING the deceased had owned was SCATTERED all over the basement! --Even parts of props were not "together". Fortunately, she was not financially "stressed", I was on the road and had no time to sort and organize, I gave her the best advice that I could, but, it would have been so easy, if the deceased and spent less time PLAYING with his "toys", and just a few days getting his "collection" of FLOTSAM & JETSAM (!!!) ORGANIZED!!!!!

Go back and read Bill Hegbli's comment above,AGAIN!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Much good advice, and "thinking" in this thread~! If you love your wife and family, read, and heed!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
I have a crappy notebook with chaotic writing. I admire the cataloguing I have read about in various posts in this thread, and will try to do better.
The Wacky Wizard
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of The Wacky Wizard
I am in the process of cataloguing all my tricks instructions in notebooks. I am also making a spread sheet in Excel. I started this when I went to sell a trick and couldn't find the directions.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
246 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Back when I owned a retail magic shop I photocopied the instructions into a set of 3-ring binders (alpha sorted by effect title) to be absolutely certain that the instructions were available to the purchaser of the item in case they were ever separated.

For those of us with large accumulations, do your significant other a favor right now and print out a list of names and phone numbers of whom to contact in case the unthinkable should happen. Your contacts should be informed, trusted folks who will see to it that your props and books are listed and sold with care. Store the list in the family Bible, photo album or other place where it won't get misplaced.

When Seattle dealer Syd Brockman passed in 1984, his friend Deane Uyeda spent hundreds of hours selling Syd's stock to local performers. Deane and his wife, Barbara, were so gracious to accommodate this task for their friend!
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Can't count them. Way too much work. I found it easier just to have my wife sell the things I don't use on ebay. If I were to sell them it'll be very difficult... but my wife has no emotional attachment...
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I always know exactly how many "tricks" I know...it hasn't changed for the last 18 years.

I know 3 tricks...

A rope trick and a money trick!

...and I juggle three knives.

I guess I only know 2 tricks.

However, I do them very well indeed, because I've made an extremely comfortable living from them for 18 years : )
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1158 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2014, jay leslie wrote:

Today I have 8,000 to 10,000 tricks in addition to the items we make, mostly because I love this stuff so much.

Wow!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I kep a spreadsheet, with separate worksheets for different categories (instructional videos, books, booklets, props, periodicals, etc.). Sometimes it saves me from acquiring something I already own.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Do you keep a count of you tricks? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL