The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New doves... question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I'm doing the finishing touches on my cage, and I'm going to pick up birds from the local bird farm here very soon. My question is, Can someone give me some very good IN DETAIL, step by step, with time frames of what to do with the doves when I first get them, the books and videos don't really go into that much detail.

I'm looking for something along the lines of.

1-10 days, leave in cage, just let them adjust
11-20 days, let them perch on your finger
30-40 start training by throwing them out and catching them.

lol don't take the example literally... Im just looking for some fool proof guidance on how to exactly handle, train and the right times to do such things. I like to know EXACTLY what to do when dealing with new animals.

Thanks guys.
-Derek
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Derek,

What I like about what see here is that is a plan at all. Fool proof scheduling is not something I have mastered. (And I'm the guy who started and wrote Dove Hotline long, long ago!)

A concrete suggestion I will give you is that you need a dowel or yardstick and a room (I used the smallest bathroom in the house) where you can work with them. The room should be a safe place for the doves to fly but one in which, with your stick, you can keep them flying until they land (at first anywhere) on you. That is to become their "safe place". They get to stay there as long as they will. Later (usually in two weeks or less) the available "safe places" can be limited to what is acceptable to you. (Hand or shoulder are what I'll ultimately accept.)

Perching on your finger can start on the first day. When moving them from hand to hand, make them step up rather than down. Progress here comes very quickly.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
If you don't know Bob. He is the man that can tell you everything about doves.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Quote:
On 2011-12-20 23:27, windrunner wrote:
If you don't know Bob. He is the man that can tell you everything about doves.

Awesome! Do they really taste like chicken?

I used to work with doves and the most important lesson I learned was to send your wife to the pet shop if you like birds. Two doves quickly became four doves, then a sun conure followed by a goldcap, two more doves, a few more conures, three African Greys and one day we had 22 birds and three rabbits. Don't get me started on the rabbits.

One trick that worked for me was keeping a tape player near their cage (yeah, it was that long ago). Every time I put them in their cage, I played the last 16 bars of the dove act. It got to the point where they would return to their roost as soon as they heard the music. This even worked in a few clubs where they decided to go exploring a bit. You also need to get them used to balloon pops or other noises in your act. Hope that helps a little.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New doves... question. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL