The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Splice by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1694 Posts

Profile of alexhui
The technique looks too good on trailer ( http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d....../splice/ ). But one reviewer pointed out that the trailer has fake element with evidence ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/fakeqy.jpg/ ). Then I watched the trailer several times and found that the signature of the top card is indeed different. Quite disappointed indeed by such practice...

I wonder if the technique is that good and would like to hear what you think. Review is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Alex Hui
The Real Way of Magic is to touch the soul of our audience, but not to touch the ego of our soul
ijohan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of ijohan
Already got 1 customer review, have a read.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1694 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Interesting that the video was pulled off totally.

I am surprised that some magicians still released fake trailer nowadays.

Alex Hui
The Real Way of Magic is to touch the soul of our audience, but not to touch the ego of our soul
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22122 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Read all about it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&46

Shin Lim says it was the guy who photoshoped the video's fault. No duplicate, just re-positioning during the photoshop work. Right!

The trailer may be off, but Shin Lim has it on his web site according to the reference.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1694 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Wmhegbli,

Thanks. I read the thread.

Btw, Shin Lim said the guy photoshoped the video's fault but there's definitely duplicate in use. No doubt about it if you have watched the video. And it is shame on Mr. Lim that he said the guy did the 'dirty' work, but actually it is he who did it.

Alex Hui
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22122 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Alexhui, that is what I thought you would note when reading the other forum. Photoshop is for still pictures, so why would they use Photoshop to edit a movie file.

If you read the rest of the forum, everyone agrees with you.

I believe the whole trick is a scam, because if the creator cannot even do the moves straight through with out ending it, then who can.

The copy says if you master the moves, well has anyone ever mastered the moves would be my next question. Shin Lim did not master it yet!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
I noticed two things

on the first switch,follow the orientation of the signature,if I understand this move correctly (I probably don't),shouldn t the signature face the same way? but its up side down

the other thing though is the second switch..how does he do that with a duplicate? he switches king of spades for ace of diamonds.

I would find it really silly if this was really faked
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 06:49, Matze wrote:
I noticed two things

on the first switch,follow the orientation of the signature,if I understand this move correctly (I probably don't),shouldn t the signature face the same way? but its up side down

the other thing though is the second switch..how does he do that with a duplicate? he switches king of spades for ace of diamonds.

I would find it really silly if this was really faked

The first performance with the signature is a dupe. The second performance is legitimate. If you watch his hand closely and compare the performances then you can see him do something during the legitimate performance that he doesn't do in the first one. The first one looks too good and it is because he is using dupes. The move is a good move and there is no reason why he should have fakes it the first time. But he did and then lied about it. He would have been much better off just giving an apology and moving on.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
As the entire thread discussing Shin Lim using a duplicate card in the demo for Splice has been deleted, I'll post a link to the proof here.

These are images taken off the 1080p version of the demo before it was removed from YouTube.

http://i.imgur.com/R9OFk.jpg
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
184 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 21:34, alexhui wrote:
Wmhegbli,

Btw, Shin Lim said the guy photoshoped the video's fault but there's definitely duplicate in use. No doubt about it if you have watched the video. And it is shame on Mr. Lim that he said the guy did the 'dirty' work, but actually it is he who did it.

Alex Hui

Yes, not only did Shin Lim try to deceive the magic community, but when he was faced with evidence he accused them of being the faker. Then he changed his story to the computer make the error in why the signatures looked different. Shin lim thinks the magic community are full of idiots and refuses to appoligise for his accusations and lies.
Chad Rees
Editor in Chief
The Daily Deception
Online Magic Newspaper
Chrisssyyy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Chrisssyyy
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 12:20, ChadRees wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-25 21:34, alexhui wrote:
Wmhegbli,

Alex Hui

Yes, not only did Shin Lim try to deceive the magic community, but when he was faced with evidence he accused them of being the faker. Then he changed his story to the computer make the error in why the signatures looked different. Shin lim thinks the magic community are full of idiots and refuses to appoligise for his accusations and lies.

His lies will never be forgot.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1623 Posts

Profile of Ross W
So who the heck deleted the original thread and why?

I know the mods seldom explain their actions, but so far as I could tell there was a robust exchange of views, backed by some convincing evidence, of an issue that's pretty fundamental to magic today. That is, the marketing of effects and the lengths some people will go to to make an effect look good for a demo.

I simply cannot conceive of a reason why the whole thread should have been wiped.

It was most definitely generally - but not exclusively - uncomplimentary to Shin Lim. But since when has being critical of someone been a reason to delete a discussion? I honestly think an explanation is owed.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
184 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 14:28, ross welford wrote:

I know the mods seldom explain their actions, but so far as I could tell there was a robust exchange of views, backed by some convincing evidence, of an issue that's pretty fundamental to magic today. That is, the marketing of effects and the lengths some people will go to to make an effect look good for a demo.

I simply cannot conceive of a reason why the whole thread should have been wiped.

It was most definitely generally - but not exclusively - uncomplimentary to Shin Lim. But since when has being critical of someone been a reason to delete a discussion? I honestly think an explanation is owed.
Chad Rees
Editor in Chief
The Daily Deception
Online Magic Newspaper
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 14:28, ross welford wrote:

Well don't hold your breath !!!!

I felt that there was a bit of a blood in the water feeding frenzy going on in that thread ---it reached 7 pages when the points made were probably all made by page 4.

However in deleting the thread then the mods have thrown everything out -- the valid points around the naughty demo ---the pseudo apology and the free giveaway --Joshua Jays brilliant response --even some defenders of Shim.

I don't think it makes any sense, if things were getting out of hand then just lock the darn thread.

Buts that the Café for you, for better or worse
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
OMG!! C'mon people!!

You got your money back, the product is no longer on the market, you have tared and feathered Shin, life sucks for him now... let it go!

If you people spent as much time working on your own card sleights, as you have on bashing Shin, you wouldn't need to buy his stuff in the first place.

I beg you.. let it go.
There is more to life than this.

And don't tell me how you are hurt by his lies.
You people never lied before?

Just let it go.
It's not worth it.
Shinlimmagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Shinlimmagic
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't been so quick as to respond to your concerns and questions. I've been really busy and have been working on my competition routine for a performance I'm about to do in Vegas, and could only recently see the amount of questions and concerns piling up about Splice. So to get to the point, yes, I did use a dupe, and yes, I forged a signature, but replicated the movements necessary to execute the move in order to make sure no one could reverse engineer the effect; in other words, I was scared, and didn't want anyone else figuring out how to do the move.
Another question to answer is yes, I can do the move as you see it on the trailer LIVE, however, the only reason why I cheated was again, to make sure no one could reverse engineer the move. But as you should be able to see in the tutorial, it is very much possible to perform this move as it is seen on the trailer. Again, I apologize for this measure I have taken, and the only reason that I did so was to make sure the effect could not be figured out. Again, I am young and immature. In my few years of magic I had seen major magic companies, some which I will not name, have cut and spliced up footage to make the trailer look almost impossible. So I thought to myself, companies do this all the time, why can't I? Little did I know that such a mistake would lead to such a massive uproar. I'm sorry, and I hope that the magic community can forgive me for being young and immature. I am human, and have flaws, and apologize for that.
I am sorry for those that I denied any accusations that you had. As a new “artist” in the magic community, there is a constant risk of criticism, and I felt that I was in a Catch 22. I had the option of either admitting I used a duplicate card and receive the massive criticism from the magic community, or denying that it ever happened and avoid getting a bad reputation. I honestly thought that the fact I used a dupe was the main issue, and that it would blow over quickly. Recently, the issue changed from the “card” and is now about the fact that I denied it. I now know that while using duplicate cards in promo videos is frowned upon, It’s a lot worse and unacceptable to lie to my peers. This whole fiasco has caused a lot of stress, and I feel horrible. In my attempts to protect my rep, I ended up making it all worse.
I also want to make a sincere apology to Vanishing Inc, and all of the trouble that I had put them through. Josh Jay and Andi Gladwin are one of the finest magicians around, and also one of the nicest people I will ever meet. Giving them a bad name was not at all my intention. My intention was to make it look as flawless as possible on their website.
Lastly, all I want to say is that this whole debate was a good lesson for me. I've made plenty of mistakes in the past, and this is one big one. But I also know that I will learn from these mistakes, and become a better magician and a better human being as I mature. I'm not perfect, and never will be. But I know I can improve, and this whole experience has been a real eye opener. The magic community can be hostile, but I hope that, while this will not be forgotten, we can blow this over our shoulders and give me a chance to redeem myself.

From now on, I am going to do more extensive crediting research and get all permission necessary to put out an effect. I’ve only been in the product market for a short amount of time, and I hope that you will soon see that I have made changes for the better.
Again, I am sorry for making a misleading trailer but I was young and scared, and worried that others were going to find out the secret; so I cheated. I am sorry I denied it too; that was the big mistake. My constant fear of ridicule put me at a standstill, and it took me a while to realize that the best thing to do was to fact the consequences of my actions and man up. Everyone concluded I used a dupe, I just needed to accept that, if I want to continue being a part of the community and have a chance to gain back your respect, I couldn’t keep denying it. Sorry I haven't answered everyone's questions and concerns, but I have to go now and practice my act A LOT for the next couple of days and get my routine down perfect before I'm off to Vegas. If any of you have any questions about anything to me personally feel free to either hit me up on facebook or email me at shinlimmagic@yahoo.com and I'll answer any of your questions that you have.
Thank you for teaching me a valuable lesson, and I promise I will make the necessary changes to gain back your trust.
Shin Lim
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Well, there's what a grownup does. Late, but better late than never. Now the matter can rest.

It's a shame the original thread was deleted, though, for one reason: Vanishing, Inc.'s response to the matter was very quick and impressive, and now that's lost forever, as are the many positive posts people made in response to it. If I was Josh Jay, I'd be pretty ticked off about that.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
184 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-11-29 16:17, Shinlimmagic wrote:
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't been so quick as to respond to your concerns and questions. I've been really busy and have been working on my competition routine for a performance I'm about to do in Vegas, and could only recently see the amount of questions and concerns piling up about Splice. So to get to the point, yes, I did use a dupe, and yes, I forged a signature, but replicated the movements necessary to execute the move in order to make sure no one could reverse engineer the effect; in other words, I was scared, and didn't want anyone else figuring out how to do the move.
Another question to answer is yes, I can do the move as you see it on the trailer LIVE, however, the only reason why I cheated was again, to make sure no one could reverse engineer the move. But as you should be able to see in the tutorial, it is very much possible to perform this move as it is seen on the trailer. Again, I apologize for this measure I have taken, and the only reason that I did so was to make sure the effect could not be figured out. Again, I am young and immature. In my few years of magic I had seen major magic companies, some which I will not name, have cut and spliced up footage to make the trailer look almost impossible. So I thought to myself, companies do this all the time, why can't I? Little did I know that such a mistake would lead to such a massive uproar. I'm sorry, and I hope that the magic community can forgive me for being young and immature. I am human, and have flaws, and apologize for that.
I am sorry for those that I denied any accusations that you had. As a new “artist” in the magic community, there is a constant risk of criticism, and I felt that I was in a Catch 22. I had the option of either admitting I used a duplicate card and receive the massive criticism from the magic community, or denying that it ever happened and avoid getting a bad reputation. I honestly thought that the fact I used a dupe was the main issue, and that it would blow over quickly. Recently, the issue changed from the “card” and is now about the fact that I denied it. I now know that while using duplicate cards in promo videos is frowned upon, It’s a lot worse and unacceptable to lie to my peers. This whole fiasco has caused a lot of stress, and I feel horrible. In my attempts to protect my rep, I ended up making it all worse.
I also want to make a sincere apology to Vanishing Inc, and all of the trouble that I had put them through. Josh Jay and Andi Gladwin are one of the finest magicians around, and also one of the nicest people I will ever meet. Giving them a bad name was not at all my intention. My intention was to make it look as flawless as possible on their website.
Lastly, all I want to say is that this whole debate was a good lesson for me. I've made plenty of mistakes in the past, and this is one big one. But I also know that I will learn from these mistakes, and become a better magician and a better human being as I mature. I'm not perfect, and never will be. But I know I can improve, and this whole experience has been a real eye opener. The magic community can be hostile, but I hope that, while this will not be forgotten, we can blow this over our shoulders and give me a chance to redeem myself.

From now on, I am going to do more extensive crediting research and get all permission necessary to put out an effect. I’ve only been in the product market for a short amount of time, and I hope that you will soon see that I have made changes for the better.
Again, I am sorry for making a misleading trailer but I was young and scared, and worried that others were going to find out the secret; so I cheated. I am sorry I denied it too; that was the big mistake. My constant fear of ridicule put me at a standstill, and it took me a while to realize that the best thing to do was to fact the consequences of my actions and man up. Everyone concluded I used a dupe, I just needed to accept that, if I want to continue being a part of the community and have a chance to gain back your respect, I couldn’t keep denying it. Sorry I haven't answered everyone's questions and concerns, but I have to go now and practice my act A LOT for the next couple of days and get my routine down perfect before I'm off to Vegas. If any of you have any questions about anything to me personally feel free to either hit me up on facebook or email me at shinlimmagic@yahoo.com and I'll answer any of your questions that you have.
Thank you for teaching me a valuable lesson, and I promise I will make the necessary changes to gain back your trust.
Shin Lim

thank you for addressing this.
Chad Rees
Editor in Chief
The Daily Deception
Online Magic Newspaper
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
613 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
I admire how you admitted to the mistake made. I personly forgive you! Hope all goes well for you in Vegas!
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I also forgive you, thanks for admitting! Smile
I've also made mistakes in magic, so let's try and both learn from our ones Smile

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Splice by Shin Lim » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL