We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Milson Worth Chinese Flame Clock (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Conjurer213
View Profile
New user
Ashland, OR
21 Posts

Profile of Conjurer213
An older friend has a what he thinks is a Milson Worth Chinese Flame Clock. I have seen it and it is in beautiful condition.

He is interested in selling it. Anyone know what he should get and how he should go about finding a buyer?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5321 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Depending on condition, this could auction at between $200 - $600. Of course a lot depends on the current market and demand.
Here's a couple on KTMagic's site:
http://www.ktmagic.com/auction/APSearch.asp
You can check out Martinka as well, but you need to be a member to access prices.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
189 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
The one on KT Magic sold for $675 back in 2007. However, Prices of magic collectables have fallen a little since then.

regards

Scott
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Please check and see if a MW prop or the original by Massey. MW has a high gloss finish with decals, Massey is a bit more rustic and blades are thin metal.

Todays market Massey $300, MW $250
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
532 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I consider myself somewhat of an expert on Edward Massey and his offerings. His Chinese Flame Clock was one of the better constructed and more famous of his tricks. His models are typified by the brass corner edging. They were painted in typical Massey Red and Black. He never used decals. AThe blades were simitar shaped.
mrmagician
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of mrmagician
Hi Rhett I have a few examples of Masseys orginal flame clock. Funny, none of them are exact. He must of built them when he took a hankering. Apparently, he did not know what a stencil was. While I think the Chinese Flame Clock is a good illusion, I think most of his items were a little archaic in manufacture. I have one of the MW Flame Clocks also. There is no comparison in quality of craftsman or paint job.

I also have one of the Massey Cut and Restored Cigarette. One of the neatest close up magic items I have ever purchased. The craftsmanship is excellent on this piece.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Mrmagician... I have several of the Massey cigarette tricks. I built a base for one of them with cabriole legs which makes the prop look like a thin model sawing effect. Pretty neat looking.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I agree with the quality assessments for the MW flame clock... It is probably the highest standard for construction and finish of any of the models that have ever been made (and I have 8 different models!)
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Rhett
I've inherited a lot of the Massey stuff including prototypes and parts made by Jim Swoger for Ed. I believe I have either an early flame Clock or the prototype. There are visible screws holding the panels together. I also have Ed's personal notebook with his all his directions. But I have a lot of stuff like that, I have Sherms personal notebook and thousands of those tiny little unreadable directions from his business and I have a book of Grant's letters, orders and correspondence when Swoger and Grant were doing a lot of business in the early 40s.

jay
Call me if you want, typing takes me forever.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
FYI, Jim Riser made a one of kind Mini Flame Clock and it's a beauty
Conjurer213
View Profile
New user
Ashland, OR
21 Posts

Profile of Conjurer213
Here we are a couple years later, and he still has not found a home for the MW Flame Clock. I looked at it again yesterday, and it is the Milson Worth Flame Clock, the original instructions are with it and had Milson Worth in the description, instructions.

So he wants to sell this, would he do best going to Ebay or should he try a dealer and if so, who?

Thanks
dking66
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of dking66
Sent you a PM, you have yet to open.
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Here's one that I have. Bought it a number of years ago when I was collating Milson Worth props.

http://s881.photobucket.com/user/quailcr......20Candle
Regards,
Silverthorne
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5321 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That's beautiful QuailCreek. Nice find.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Milson Worth Chinese Flame Clock (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL