The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Question I've been pondering about Randi and Geller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
merlyn2001sh
View Profile
New user
Poconos, PA
5 Posts

Profile of merlyn2001sh
Hi,

Here is something I've been thinking about and I'm curious to know others' thoughts on the great Randi/Geller feud of the 1970s. More specifically, having a background in magic, professional wrestling and the carnival, I'm somewhat skeptical about taking anything at face value at my age. It occurs to me that before Geller and Randi feuded neither were well-known, but afterwards well, their careers speak for themselves. I have often wondered if the feud was genuine or a remarkable piece of misdirection, smoke and mirrors. Probably no one will ever say for sure, but based on some of the ploys done for publicity in the past by many great showmen, I think the question is worth posing at least. I don't expect either party to admit to anything if it was a game, but it is something interesting to ponder. If it was a game, I think it was masterfully played.

Just curious about others' thoughts...

D
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I think you are absolutely right. Uri and James got together a couple of weeks in advance, and came up with a plan that would make both of them famous (and Uri very rich). It worked. Everybody is now happy. Just read the Pennies forum, and you'll see how happy everyone is.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2513 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
This is a REALLY interesting hypothesis. It would be a great story but my own personal feeling is that more than anything, this is a clash of two massive egos. It is curious that without this collision neither one of the players would have been as well known as this conflagration spawned more PR than destruction.

Yet another case of that oh so rare lightning in a bottle.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
merlyn2001sh
View Profile
New user
Poconos, PA
5 Posts

Profile of merlyn2001sh
Thanks, stoneunhinged. I wasn't sure what forum that discussion would be in but I located parts of it earlier this evening. Very interesting reading.

@Ray: I thought so. It's something that's been bugging me because both of them benefited from the push tremendously although it cost Randi a fortune in legal fees supposedly. I don't know for sure, but neither of them seemed destitute now. Just some food for thought.

Curious about others thoughts? Could it be a scam? We are all tricksters after all..who can tell?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Criss Angel and David Blaine animosity in the beginning.

Fixed. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
In the beginning of the Randi/Geller thing, Uri was rapidly becoming a worldwide phenomenon and Randi was a relatively obscure magician (though, to be fair, he was known in the children's television market in the New York area where he regularly appeared on the Sunday morning kid show "Wonderama").

It was through his skeptical attacks on Geller that Randi became well known nationally. I put no credence in the idea that they were in collusion.

Geller just had long coattails.

Good thoughts,

Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Stoneunhinged-

Relatively speaking, everyone seems to be pretty happy in the Penny forum. We're just passionate.

:eek:

Best-

Bob
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Bob, I wouldn't know. I haven't even bothered to stick my head in that wind tunnel for two or three years. Passion is good. Having my head blown off goes against my interest in aerodynamic research.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Well, yes, that's a good point. But at least we don't get political! Smile

Best-

Bob
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3254 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
There is actually an episode to the TV show "Columbo" that I think is based on Randi/Geller. Halfway through the episode you learn that faker and the skeptic are in cahoots and were once prisoners of war togethor and there is a suggestive line about "what we meant to each other".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
braabesflaben
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of braabesflaben
I don't think they set it up together.
Because one of the first confrontations between Geller and Randi was during a show "of which I don't remember the name" (try youtube)
where Randi set up a test that Geller couldn't pass. Geller could only reply with "feeling to weak" to perform. In my opinion the only
miracle Geller performed was retaining his populairity afterwards.
That happened quite early in the career of Geller and it would not have been logical for him to take such a risk at that
point.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3254 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
To be clear. I don't have any reason or inclination to believe Randi and Geller conspired togethor. In fact, I think it's pretty ridiculous idea. It's just that when the idea came up it reminded me of the Columbo episode. I think the Columbo writers were inspired by Randi/Geller but needed to add a twist to it for Columbo to solve.

The Randi/Geller confrontation you mention was on the Johnny Carson show. Johnny consulted with Randi about preventing fraud. Johnny Carson was a magician and would never interfere with a magician's performance but Geller was a fraud.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Randi went after several people during his years of debunking. I have read his books Flim Flam and Faith Healers. I have met and talked with Bob Steiner, who also aided Randi in his expose' of faith healers. Randi and Geller were not friends as some would suggest from what I have been told.

I remember the Carson interview with Randi years ago. You are correct, Carson was a magician as well. I loved seeing fraud exposed in any form.

Glenn
sacramentohypnosis
View Profile
New user
America
78 Posts

Profile of sacramentohypnosis
I think it was, as Bob has intimated, merely a case of Randi jumping onto Uri's coat-tails,

Opportunistic Publicity Seeking at its best that has done no harm to either of them.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2012-01-16 23:27, Police Magician wrote:
Randi went after several people during his years of debunking. I have read his books Flim Flam and Faith Healers. I have met and talked with Bob Steiner, who also aided Randi in his expose' of faith healers. Randi and Geller were not friends as some would suggest from what I have been told.

I remember the Carson interview with Randi years ago. You are correct, Carson was a magician as well. I loved seeing fraud exposed in any form.

Glenn
I don't think Randi and Geller were in "cahoots" but I think randi and Davy Penna were. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw9A1pR0......it?pli=1
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The irony is that if Randi had not gone after Geller, the general public might have forgotten BOTH long before now.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The "general public" had no idea who randi was ... Geller was all over the TV etc.(As I recall) it's interesting to wonder how far Geller would have went without the distraction.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Hard to say. He was the 'flavor of the day' in psi circles.
Without the "war publicity" he might have continued to grab media attention, or he might just as easily have gone the way of Ted Serios and others from that era.

But we'll never know.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Full disclosure:

Uri is a close, personal friend of mine.

I mean, we are Facebook friends. Same thing, right?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I have to agree with Steve. I think it was a symbiotic relationship that sustained both of their careers, though in the beginning it was Randi who latched himself onto Geller's rising star.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Question I've been pondering about Randi and Geller (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL