The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Real Steal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
Sorry to join the discussion late but I echo what several others have already stated. I definitely prefer this to the Extractor for a variety of reasons which have already been stated. The freedom of handling of the deck and the card selection process as well as the fairness in having the spectator return the card anywhere into a fanned deck makes this a better approach for this type of effect. In addition, the removal of the card is absolute simplicity! I think this product provides great value for those magicians looking to perform this type of effect. The possible uses are limited by your creativity. Thanks Tony for offering another gem to the fraternity!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
One other point is that there could be some *very* minor angle issues with using TRS that would not be present with Extractor (unless someone was on the floor lol).

I know it's tempting to compare these two - and the debates here will undoubtedly go for awhile Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 17:46, saysold1 wrote:I know it's tempting to compare these two - and the debates here will undoubtedly go for awhile Smile

I don't know, I just don't see who you can compare these two. I feel the effect you get from both of these are different. one is a magicians doing a trick and one is just magic.

From watching this demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzJ420lzEY0 it just seems so hands off and impossible

then watching this demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QSvKInPJ......embedded is seems like a nice trick

while both have the same ending of the card being located elsewhere, I think these two are completely different.
RIP The Daily Deception
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Ok... last time Chad. Mine was shot straight on with NO allowances for camera angles etcetera. In other words, I tried to conceal NOTHING.

Various people who have used both have told you the advantages of my version.

I wanted a version that did everything but WITHOUT the deck switch. I and others seem to feel I succeeded.

We get it. No matter what anyone else says, you disagree.
Sorry I could not see it the way you do... Now, on with the show.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Not really fair...One seems like a typical Alakazam glossy Hollywood "extravaganza" and the other (TRS) is a basic demo of a cool effect - kinda like watching a friend at the coffee shop.

Hard to compare the two. You have to strip away the gloss to just the basic effects.

I like that Mark Spellman though - how does he get hypnotized so easily Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 19:25, saysold1 wrote:
Not really fair...One seems like a typical Alakazam glossy Hollywood "extravaganza" and the other (TRS) is a basic demo of a cool effect - kinda like watching a friend at the coffee shop.

Hard to compare the two. You have to strip away the gloss to just the basic effects.

I like that Mark Spellman though - how does he get hypnotized so easily Smile

That's a good point, I might just need to see someone else present this in another way. Thanks Saysold1, as much as I hate people putting performances of purchased magic tricks on youtube I might just need to wait till another performance is out to see if I really like this.
RIP The Daily Deception
Chrisssyyy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Chrisssyyy
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 11:58, Doomo wrote:
What it is is a device that allows you to perform all the Extractor functions, with no need for a deck switch and also allows the deck to be fanned etcetera. This has had pretty extensive testing over the last 2 years by myself and others here and abroad.

Tony

This product looked really interesting when I first saw it. Looking at it more closely however, some things have cropped up that have changed my mind.

First off, you said the deck can be fanned, I think a more accurate description is that part of the deck can be fanned.

Second of all, in my mind there seems to be a less sense of freedom of as the selected card has to be put back in very specfically.

Third off, for me there are easier ways for a card to be controlled and stolen from a FULLY fanned deck of cards. And as a bonus the deck is regular.

For me the extractor gives the magician a higher freedom when performing. This trick seems to add more complications when none are needed.
My philosophy is why fix something that is not broken, and in my opinion the extractor is by no means broken.

Cheers
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 20:37, Chrisssyyy wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-30 11:58, Doomo wrote:
What it is is a device that allows you to perform all the Extractor functions, with no need for a deck switch and also allows the deck to be fanned etcetera. This has had pretty extensive testing over the last 2 years by myself and others here and abroad.

Tony

This product looked really interesting when I first saw it. Looking at it more closely however, some things have cropped up that have changed my mind.

First off, you said the deck can be fanned, I think a more accurate description is that part of the deck can be fanned.

Second of all, in my mind there seems to be a less sense of freedom of as the selected card has to be put back in very specfically.

Third off, for me there are easier ways for a card to be controlled and stolen from a FULLY fanned deck of cards. And as a bonus the deck is regular.

For me the extractor gives the magician a higher freedom when performing. This trick seems to add more complications when none are needed.
My philosophy is why fix something that is not broken, and in my opinion the extractor is by no means broken.

Cheers

Jeez!...

Nope, the ENTIRE deck can be fanned. As anyone who has used it will attest.
and..... Why bother...

It does what it does... As has been stated by people who have used it... Wow... Some of you people...

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

www.rfaproductions.com
Chrisssyyy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Chrisssyyy
Tony,
I am entitled to my opinion. This is after all a forum for discussion of an affect. NOT a place for advertisement.
You are placing an item out in the market with such a high diversity of people that not everyone will like your affect, or thinking the method plot is worth the purchase.
I do not appreciate you bashing my comment and acting like you are superior in some way to me.
My comment was concise and in no way bashing you personally, merely pointing out certain things that I believed to be the case in this scenario.
Some people will like this affect and others won’t. Insulting those who have negative opinions about your affect will get you nowhere.
I believe your manner and the way you are conducting yourself is doing you a disservice.
I hope that your actions here don’t make anyone think of you as a lesser person, but from your tone I wouldn’t blame.

All the best
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-12-07 21:39, Doomo wrote:
Jeez!...
Nope, the ENTIRE deck can be fanned. As anyone who has used it will attest.
and..... Why bother...

I do feel the same chris, like I am being attacked a bit for having a different view.

The cards not being able to be fully fanned was told to us by saysold1 whos quote is below. Also you stated in your add copy "The deck can be fanned and spread like a regular deck" and with the way this gimmick works that does not seem to be true. I would love if you could make another demo of someone make a video showing this deck being ribbon spread on the table.

Sorry we are giving our opinion on a forum where other people were giving theirs, but all I have to go off of from this trick is your demo and the original gimmick I own and have used for several years now.

Quote:
On 2011-12-07 17:09, saysold1 wrote:
Good points Chad -
I would say the cards can be fan spread with The Real Steal (TRS), but certainly not a ribbon spread.
RIP The Daily Deception
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I have Tony's TRS deck. In my opinion, comparing it to the Extractor is like comparing an Invisible Deck to a Brainwave Deck. They both accomplish similar things but there are differences in the method, and this allows you to emphasize different aspects of the trick. You could easily imagine the kind of discussion that would take place here if the Invisible Deck and the Brainwave Deck were new!

Anyway, with all the stuff that comes out these days, when I look at a trick, one of my main questions is, "Does it actually work the way it's claimed?" And the answer to this is yes, Tony's deck works exactly as he describes it. His video, shot in his kitchen, shows you everything but the method. You're not required to do it exactly like he does in the video, and I've even told him that I think his handling is a bit too tight, but it shows one way. You could also fan the deck for the selection, put the deck back in the box and have the spectator put the card into the deck, just like the Extractor. The part where you put it back into the fan and close up the fan is optional.

Because no switch is required, this means that the TRS deck works well for strolling. You'd take it out, do one (or more) routines and finish with putting the signed selection in and putting the deck away. It will come out of the same pocket you put it back into - no need to shuffle decks around before the next group.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Yep Jeff, it was designed to work in a strolling environment. Easy repeatability. No deck switching and all that. It does what it is intended to do. Sorry I cant please everyone.

But I do try and at least produce a product that works well. And in that, according to the people who have used it, I have done well.

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I was fortunate enough to be a tester of this fine product, Tony has released. The Real Steal does exactly what Tony says and it can be performed in the same ways as the Extractor. Are there differences? Yes, yet Tony's deck allows you a little more freedom, in my opinion. When I first received it, I immediately started playing around with Curtis Kam's "No Switch" version. In the video, Tony performs his version with the deck face up...I have been using the deck face down for a completely unknown selection. You can finish the effect a la Mr. Miller's method...the selection inside a wallet or any other place you can think of. Or, you can divine the spectator's card and then have it appear in an impossible location. Plus, you will come up with your own ideas which makes this limitless.

Hi Chad, For you...I'd say that if The Extractor works best for you, then you should stick to using it. Tony's deck offers a different method and really, a different option. For the price Tony is charging, his Real Steal is a bargain. I think this is what it boils down to here...those of us on a budget, will be able to afford a great effect akin to the Extractor.

For the rest, I'm glad Tony included me in on the testing phase. I was able to show this to many of my magician friends and they definitely wanted to know where to buy this.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Keith Atkinson
View Profile
Regular user
Wigan, UK
196 Posts

Profile of Keith Atkinson
I have been reading through this thread with an open mind, with a view to maybe buying this. I also have an Extractor.This appeals to me, purley due to pocket managenent, and having to carry a `deck` less.
I have purchased from Tony in the past, and also had contact with him via e mail.
I must admit, in my experience, Tony comes across as a real straight talking guy. He doesn`t tend to talk bulls**t, like others I have dealt with do.He also provides an excellent service. He says it as it is, and to me, it doesn`t sound like he is trying to undermine anyone, why should he?
He has some really good products, no nonsense videos, that are straight to the point, with none of the editing that I see in most other demo`s.
At the end of the day, people will either buy his products, or won`t.
Just my views, from the outside looking in.
Keith.
Pick A Card, Any Card.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Tony? Talk bulls**t?

Never!!

OK - sorry Tony.... only kidding!

Jim
magicPhred
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of magicPhred
My Opinion, and I own neither of these effects... yet... For Christmas I have asked for TRS from my wife...

I am surprised to hear people state that the extractor looks more believable that TRS. To me at least, it doesn't. They both look like great effects, but I believe that TRS looks more fair, and much less fishy. Quite frankly I have never been asked by a magician, to put a card into a full box like is required by the extractor. "Here, take a card, I am going to put all the other cards away in this box, put the box in my pocket, now sign your card, let me get the box from my pocket again and open the flap a bit so that you can jam your card into the box that I am holding, and put the deck in my pocket again." Fair? To me, Fishy.

IMO it is COMPLETELY fair that for TRS the magician fans the cards and the spectator puts the card in the fan. How many tricks have I done that way with ungimmicked cards?? I have NEVER had anyone say, 'that's fishy that you are fanning the deck for me to put the card into'. Many who feel like they know a little magic (some simple sleights..) will assume that the card was already stolen during the fan, and the one poking out isn't theirs. They will be taken back three steps when you show them that it really is theirs.Then, letting them push it the rest of the way in, that's more than fair. Finally ALL the cards TOGETHER, go into the box. That order is more logical than the order of events required for the extractor, regardless of who touches the deck when.

To those that question the ability to freely spread the TRS deck, and think that the Extractor is better because you can handle the cards, or the spectator can handle the cards, I have a solution.... Do a deck switch!! I don't know for sure, (and I am quite certain I will be corrected shortly if I am mistaken...) but I would guess that an almost exact copy of the extractor demo (likely with some negligible differences) can be done with the TRS and a deck switch. I am not sure that you would want to though, as I mentioned before, I believe that it is better that all the cards go into the box together.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 14:13, magicPhred wrote:
My Opinion, and I own neither of these effects... yet... For Christmas I have asked for TRS from my wife...

I am surprised to hear people state that the extractor looks more believable that TRS. To me at least, it doesn't. They both look like great effects, but I believe that TRS looks more fair, and much less fishy. Quite frankly I have never been asked by a magician, to put a card into a full box like is required by the extractor. "Here, take a card, I am going to put all the other cards away in this box, put the box in my pocket, now sign your card, let me get the box from my pocket again and open the flap a bit so that you can jam your card into the box that I am holding, and put the deck in my pocket again." Fair? To me, Fishy.

IMO it is COMPLETELY fair that for TRS the magician fans the cards and the spectator puts the card in the fan. How many tricks have I done that way with ungimmicked cards?? I have NEVER had anyone say, 'that's fishy that you are fanning the deck for me to put the card into'. Many who feel like they know a little magic (some simple sleights..) will assume that the card was already stolen during the fan, and the one poking out isn't theirs. They will be taken back three steps when you show them that it really is theirs.Then, letting them push it the rest of the way in, that's more than fair. Finally ALL the cards TOGETHER, go into the box. That order is more logical than the order of events required for the extractor, regardless of who touches the deck when.

To those that question the ability to freely spread the TRS deck, and think that the Extractor is better because you can handle the cards, or the spectator can handle the cards, I have a solution.... Do a deck switch!! I don't know for sure, (and I am quite certain I will be corrected shortly if I am mistaken...) but I would guess that an almost exact copy of the extractor demo (likely with some negligible differences) can be done with the TRS and a deck switch. I am not sure that you would want to though, as I mentioned before, I believe that it is better that all the cards go into the box together.

Well analyzed...

If Extractor is done correctly with the right misdirection, it should never look fishy when the card is asked to be signed and the Magician retains the boxed cards and makes their move - especially with a jacket opened to remove a Sharpie.

I think that TRS offers some advantages in that a move like that isn't at all necessary, but then again that kind of move should be quick and literally invisible to to the spec.

Whether placing all the cards except the chosen card in the box first seems fishy-er than putting them in a fanned deck is pretty much a wash to me.
Chrisssyyy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Chrisssyyy
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 11:26, Keith Atkinson wrote:
I have been reading through this thread with an open mind, with a view to maybe buying this. I also have an Extractor.This appeals to me, purley due to pocket managenent, and having to carry a `deck` less.
I have purchased from Tony in the past, and also had contact with him via e mail.
I must admit, in my experience, Tony comes across as a real straight talking guy. He doesn`t tend to talk bulls**t, like others I have dealt with do.He also provides an excellent service. He says it as it is, and to me, it doesn`t sound like he is trying to undermine anyone, why should he?
He has some really good products, no nonsense videos, that are straight to the point, with none of the editing that I see in most other demo`s.
At the end of the day, people will either buy his products, or won`t.
Just my views, from the outside looking in.
Keith.

Its great to here another persons view on this product. As for pocket space, this is knida a one effect deck (so I believe) so it doesn't really free up pocket space.

All the best
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Actually Crissy, you can have other effects set up in the deck and close with the Real Steal finish.

www.rfaproductions.com
ChadRees
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, AZ
190 Posts

Profile of ChadRees
Quote:
On 2011-12-08 18:44, Doomo wrote:
Actually Crissy, you can have other effects set up in the deck and close with the Real Steal finish.

I guess if you only do half trick decks or tricks where you don't hand out the deck or table shuffle.

All the effects I do need an entire deck of cards. So that is a bit impractical.
RIP The Daily Deception
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Real Steal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL