The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best torn and restored cigarette paper I ever saw (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Does anyone know who this is and what version is he doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi7OdLQAWf0
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
Gary,

I believe it's Leipzig's from Vernon's tribute book to him.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
That is David Ben performing the trick.
Eschew obfuscation
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Thank you.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Damian
Wow. What a craftsman.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2642 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
At a time when there are probably about 50 'new'(?) tricks released onto the market each week; countless new ways of doing ACAAN; a multitude of one-trick DVD's; download clips of questionable 'non-faked' card moves, etc. I finally watch such a faultless performance of a classic - and within a 50 second clip, my love affair with magic is once again fully restored.

Thanks for posting this Gary - it's the first trick (despite it's age) that I've watched, for about the last two months, that actually looks and FEELS like REAL MAGIC.

I seriously can't thank you enough.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
You'll find a lot of great magic like the torn & restored cigarette paper in Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig. That effect is also taught be Vernon in Stars of Magic as Leipzig's Tear-Up. And you can watch and learn Mike Skinner presentation on Vol. 1 of his DVD set.

You can't beat the classics.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2642 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 17:53, motown wrote:

I really couldn't agree more with that statement Motown.

What a shame that we are witnessing such an overwhelming amount of new(?) material coming onto the market these days; a great deal of which is absolute garbage.

For example, let's compare THIS trick with other 'torn & restored' effects from 2011. To the best of my knowledge, ALL have related to just playing cards Smile ALL depend upon a gimmick or set-up, some aren't even a full T&R (e.g. you just tear a corner from a card!) and yet NONE look as clean, or as magical, as this version of the T&R using a simple Cigarette Paper.

Classics are indeed classics for a reason. They have stood the test of time - whilst the current myriad of material (especially on one-trick DVD's) will be long forgotten a year or so down the line.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On 2011-12-06 11:49, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 17:53, motown wrote:

I really couldn't agree more with that statement Motown.

What a shame that we are witnessing such an overwhelming amount of new(?) material coming onto the market these days; a great deal of which is absolute garbage.

For example, let's compare THIS trick with other 'torn & restored' effects from 2011. To the best of my knowledge, ALL have related to just playing cards Smile ALL depend upon a gimmick or set-up, some aren't even a full T&R (e.g. you just tear a corner from a card!) and yet NONE look as clean, or as magical, as this version of the T&R using a simple Cigarette Paper.

Classics are indeed classics for a reason. They have stood the test of time - whilst the current myriad of material (especially on one-trick DVD's) will be long forgotten a year or so down the line.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you. But, could it only seem this way right now because we see all the forgetable stuff. I wasn't around in 1956 to see if the forgetable stuff was made and it has just been forgotten.

I buy older manuscripts whenever I see them so I have a pretty good collection of them at this point. I see unusable "stuff" in a lot of these.

Granted, its obviously easier for the forgetable stuff to be circulated nowadays.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
The internet allows us to see so much more of what's coming to market, good or bad.
I think, it's also allowed far more material to be marketed, that in the past would have ended up
as a submission to a magazine or periodical.
– Karl Germain
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

This performance I posted is obviously done very differently than the 'Classic' Leipzig method described by Vernon and Skinner.
That is why it is so amazing!
If it is proprietary I can see why.
It must remain as such.
I'll keep on walking.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
Gary,

Have you looked at Stars of Magic, The Leipzig book or Skinner's performance?
I think you'll find it's pretty much same.

I know David has a real appreciation for the classics and mentions it.
– Karl Germain
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-06 21:31, motown wrote:
Gary,

Have you looked at Stars of Magic, The Leipzig book or Skinner's performance?
I think you'll find it's pretty much same.

I know David has a real appreciation for the classics and mentions it.

Michael taught me the trick.
It is not the same.
That is why I was curious.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
Gary,

I looked yesterday at the video again and Stars of Magic. They looked pretty much the same to me. Can't comment on the version you learned from Skinner. What part is different?

Craig
– Karl Germain
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Craig,
The best way for you to see the difference is to actually learn and perform Leipzig's version from Stars of Magic and then try to make it look like that fellow's version in the video.
I think you will have a new found respect for this 50 seconds of pure eyecandy.
I don't call this thread 'Best' for nothing.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
Gary,

I sent David an email, here's his reply.

Craig

It is amazing what one can find on YouTube. Yes, they are my hands, and yes, this is basically the Leipzig handling as described with minor variations.

Best wishes,

David

So, I think if you want to learn T & R Cigarette, Stars of Magic is a good place to start. Good Luck.
– Karl Germain
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10706 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
What about Martin Lewi's Tand R cig paper effect
this is also excellent
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Ross W
What a beautiful performance! But wow! What a lousy description in Stars Of Magic! I've just taken it off my shelf, inspired by that wonderful YouTube clip, and tried to go through the steps with a packet of cigarette papers. It's impossible! OK, I'll try again...

[pause]

Nope. It's a poor description all right. Indeed, in para.4 it exhorts the performer "never...to let the spectators lose sight of the paper ball," when there isn't even a paper ball in play yet (apart from the secret one!) Are there better descriptions of this effect anywhere?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5882 Posts

Profile of motown
Ross,

I didn't find the the Stars of Magic write up difficult to understand, but if you want another source,
get Mike Skinner's DVD: PROFESSIONAL CLOSE-UP MAGIC - VOLUME ONE.
– Karl Germain
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I agree with Gary, what you see on the clip is not what is described in Stars of Magic. The timing on the switch is different, and closer to the way it's described by Edward Victor. I believe that was the original G.W. Hunter handling. Mr. Ben is being modest when he describes his changes as "minor".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best torn and restored cigarette paper I ever saw (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL