The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Who Benefits Most-Where To Buy Your Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Certainly no right or wrong here, but a question that has popped into my head a couple of times when contemplating purchases.

Having worked in retail in the past for a number of years, I know of no other industry that consumers and developers are more closely grouped than magic. Having said that, if you desire to purchase an effect/routine/prop, and you have the choice of 1) your local brick and mortar shop, 2) an online dealer, particularly during a sale, or 3) directly from the inventor, who is easily available through, say, the Magic Café? Who benefits most? And if you choose the straight-from-the-inventor route, does he/she still benefit more even if matching the on-line price? Keep in mind I am speaking of originals, not ripoff products.

Obviously any of the choices trickle down, but I believe the current economic climate directs us to do the most good with our financial support. So, in the spirit of Bo Diddley, "who do you love?"

I know there are a lot of inventors and dealers here, so if nothing else it should make for a good roundtable discussion. Talk amongst yourselves...
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I would think directly from the inventor would benefit the inventor most.

If the inventor wholesale price does not allow retail outlets to at least compete with the inventor price then the inventor's product would not be attractive to the retailers to sell. So I think buying directly from the inventor would allow the inventor a higher profit margin.

Probably more people benefit from the brick and mortar store, since the profits are essentially being divided up between store owner, inventor, demo guy, shipping guy, sales tax, etc.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Like you say, no right or wrong, just "how do you do it?"

We have a favourite brick and mortar shop that we have developed a relationship with over the past 25 years. We almost always start our search for anything we want to purchase there. The shop is Morrissey Magic in Toronto and we have been friends first with Herb and Richard and now with Danny and Pheobe. Always enjoy visiting when we have the opportunity but a quick phone call will also get an order placed and mailed.

If they do not have it, then we go looking at other brick and mortar shops in the area, or on-line shops, or to the inventors.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Would love to have a B&M around...unfortunately the only thing close (LaRocks) moved out of the area a couple of years ago, and even then they concentrated on balloons and their mail order/internet business.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
As an inventor/manufacturer... I'd say send money directly to the inventor... then again.. if you don't patronize the banner ad guys on the site.. both the banner guys and the Café vanish too..

Fortunately.. I have a banner AND I'm the inventor/manufacturer...

so buy from ME!! I ONLY sell stuff I make. I have no conflict of interest.

http://www.wack-o-magic.com
HCM
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of HCM
I sell my products to dealers and directly to retail customers. Of course, the manufacturer benefits the most immediately from direct retail sales, because we get more money! When we sell to a dealer, we take a significant hit on our profits. However, our products in the magic shop keep the B&M stores alive, and that keeps magic alive. So, over time, it is in our best interest to sell to magic shops and keep them in business. I am happy to sell direct to retail customers, but I won't hesitate to recommend a local shop to purchase my line from if they have one nearby.

Some manufacturers only do direct sales, and others only sell through dealers. I like our customers to have the option of where they buy our products, so that's why we do both. I enjoy dealing directly with customers, and wouldn't want to cut that off. So, as a manufacturer, I would say I don't mind where you buy my products from. I prefer you to have the choice and am fine with whatever you choose.

Also, I don't mind if you want to ask me questions, then buy the product somewhere else. We support our customers the same whether they buy directly from us or not. That is part of the customer service I provide because I want people to make educated decisions when they buy one of our products, regardless of where they buy it.
Joel Broock
High Caliber Magic, LLC
www.highcalibermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Who Benefits Most-Where To Buy Your Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL