The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Things every bar magician should know (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
I thought I'd start a thread where all the experianced bar magicians could share their information . Any and all advice on bar magic would be appreciated!
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
i have never done any bar magic but if you are looking for some advice there is some good stuff on the doc eason tapes.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Bar Magic is good. The spectators are alwyas a little drunk (that will make it easier for you to fool them) and they will leave you some tips at the end of your routine. I recomend that you do a Bar act if you've never have.

Mistro
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Know that if you are actually responsible for tending bar you have to make that cash register ring.
Keep your effects short and sweet. In a busy bar you are not going to have time for a multi-phase routine.
Perform the longer effects/routines during the slow times.
Get the people to know you and your personality.
As been said many times before, if they like you they will generally like your magic.
Most bars are set up so that any side of the bar can be converted to a giant servante. Take advantage of it.
Be on time for work. Look sharp. Get a manicure on a regular basis. Good personal hygeine is going to help sell you just as much as anything else.
Develop a running gag throughout the night.
Make sure everyone is having fun. Not always possible but most people are there because they want to forget their troubles and are willing to be entertained.

I can go on and on. I've been doing bar magic for over 23 years both public and private.
If anyone would like any additional information you can PM me. Just remember that after all this time I am still learning too.

Take Care,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
One decision needs to be maede before you step behind the bar as a magic bartender - will you pour drinks or not?

If so, first thing is to make sure you are a competent bartender! Smile If not, no biggie on that issue.

Next, select a series of tricks that drunk people can understand. Honestly, this is critical. Trying to do a mathematical force on someone who's had 5 tequila shots in an hour is simply NOT going to happen! Nor will it be understood. Confusion is NOT magic! Smile

Work up FAST, direct and funny presentations for each and every trick. Make them stand alone routines, as opposed to an act. If you are pouring, you will often have to step away and take care of the paying customers.

Learn to check your ego at the door, too. Insults from patrons should NOT effect you or your work. It is highly unprofessional to get ticked off at a customer.

Call a bouncer if you need one for an abusive guest, but do not get into it with them. Trust me.

Make sure your effects are essentially waterproof, too. Bars tend to be soggy places to work and trying to do a Marlo tabled multiple shift on top of a slick second deal with a deck of gin soaked pasteboards is asking for trouble.

Heba Haba Al once told me that a bar magician needs three things for doing card work behind the bar - a peek, a pass and a force. Nothing else other than a hundred endings to the tricks - see J.G. Thompson's "The Living End" for those!

But make *** sure (note use of profanity for emphasis!) that they are absolutely iron-clad perfect and that they can be done with less-than-perfect cards, when you are tired, dazed, distracted and sick.

Play to the entire audience, too. Don't just suck up to the hottie at the end of the bar, or the big tipper by the tap. If you get everybody going, great - and keep the register ringing!

Also, know when to step back FROM the bar to let your fellow bartenders work. Ringing the cash register is critical. Fail in that and you will be out of work - fast.

Above all else, be polite, be funny and be amazing.

Hope this extremely broad overview helps.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Use the space!

Bar magic is one of thise rare occassions where you are performing in the same place over and over again. Load cards under stools, coins under coasters etc.

Also, don't get it in the way of the REAL bartenders.

And don't EVER do what a guests asks you you to do. Drunks tend to make all sorts of demands and you should NEVER do what they ask otherwise you'll get caught with them!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Don't stay long periods of time at one table. The spectator may get bored if though you are doing a good job. It is better to come back a second time with a different three minute act instead of performing a straight six minute act.

When approaching a table with a male and female, start off talking to the male first, so he won't misunderstand you are trying to take away his female.

Don't walk next to where there are speakers (if loud music is playing) unless you have a loud voice. Because there could be a lot of misunderstanding.

Always know where all the exits are incase a fight breaks out with drunken guys.

Always stall a little time before approaching a female by herself at a table. She probably entered with a man who might be in the bathroom. He won't feel happy to see you talking to his woman not knowing what the conversation is about.

If you use a spectators item, always hand it to them after you finish with it. Because if you leave it on the table or with someone else, they may loose it thinking you stole it.

Have the DJ announce you are the magician so others will feel comfortable knowing who you are.

If doing a trick with a spectator's bill, let them know what he/she handed to you so there will be no confusion when you hand it back.

If a drunken spectator tries to challenge you, just go to another table ending the trick in a polite manner.
Jason K.
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Jason K.
Great stuff guys! Thanks a billion! Keep the good stuff flowing. . .
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Learn how to mix drinks!!!
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
I am not sure if I shouldn't start a new thread with this one.... What is the best way to get yourself into working as a bar magician?

And, I already work a regular restaurant. With that I do patrol the bar area too. But I'm in the restaurant in the manager's point of view for the families.

I would like to have a separate venue that is just bar magic. I don't know how to kick start that I guess.

I'd like to get into a bar situation without having to be seen as the "family night guy" Where I have to also do magic for the kids. (and I'm torn by this one because I make a good living doing schools,and children's parties).

Hmmm? Smile
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
If they are really drunk.....don't bother with them.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
How to make a good drink would be first. After that make sure the people enjoy themselves.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
One thing that hasn't been mentioned that is very, very important if you are going to actually be bartending: know the laws concerning the serving of alcohol in your state and the consequenses of overserving a patron as well as your liability if one of your customers gets a DUI or worse, gets killed driving home or kills someone else. Doing magic behind a bar can be fun but there is a lot of responsibility that goes along with pouring alcohol for a living. I got a citation once and was fined here in Oregon after a pair of undercover agents from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission charged me with serving a drink to a "visibly intoxicated" patron. My boss didn't pay the fine, I had to.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
l'v only been working as a bartender for about a year now, as earlier mentioned the most important thing is to know your bar, laws, and your drink mixing, it is also very important to "sell yourself" while you are working, if they like you and the way you work, it is the best icebreaker.
I work in a American bar in Norway, were we do mixing shows when we have some time to spend, that is when the bar is not to crowded.
Everyone who comes to our bar knows about the shows we do, so that makes it easy to continue with some magic,
l keep it fast and simple, in my experience the later at night it is- the easier the routine has to be, cause drunk people can't keep up with the more complex card or cointricks.
My routine consists of basic mindreading, acouple of card transformations, some billchanges and TT effects.
l have learned that the importance of feeling confident with your routine is very important, smile and have a great time while doing it - cause when you are working, you are basicly selling yourself and the place you work in, so if the guests like you they will be back in your bar again for sure.. Smile
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Ditto to everything already mentioned!

Also, in most behind the bar situations, you will be working with mirrors behind you. Don't get hung up on this. I have performed card and cigarette manipulation behind the bar (in front of the mirrors) and the fact that the patrons had full view of what was really happening, completely escaped them.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Bill switch, Lit Cigarette vanish, Card Transposition, Card under drink, jiggernaut, maybe sponge balls, and a solid in the hands coin routine ending with a jumbo.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Jiggernaut, as performed on penguine magic, didn't seem all that great to me... maybe its because I know what to look when Oz loads them? But as with many things, what I think reactions will be and what they turn out to be are usually worlds apart.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Chessmess,

Oz's doesn't perform it the way they tell you to. In fact the routine and patter included with the trick is way better than that of Oz's routine in my opinion. Its a great trick and you could do many variations.
Sorry for getting off topic but I don't think you should pass up this effect.
TJ
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-09-12 10:29, Mistro wrote:
Bar Magic is good. The spectators are alwyas a little drunk (that will make it easier for you to fool them) and they will leave you some tips at the end of your routine. I recomend that you do a Bar act if you've never have.

Mistro

You've got to be really [really] good to work with people who are a "little drunk." Depressed inhibitions mean not only are is it harder to hold their attention, but they're more likely to start trouble or just walk away.

Smile

Quote:
On 2003-09-16 02:16, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned that is very, very important if you are going to actually be bartending: know the laws concerning the serving of alcohol in your state and the consequenses of overserving a patron as well as your liability if one of your customers gets a DUI or worse, gets killed driving home or kills someone else. Doing magic behind a bar can be fun but there is a lot of responsibility that goes along with pouring alcohol for a living. I got a citation once and was fined here in Oregon after a pair of undercover agents from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission charged me with serving a drink to a "visibly intoxicated" patron. My boss didn't pay the fine, I had to.

wow. Smile Good point, I don't think anybody else thought of of that! Not that I have too much chance of working as a bartender, but thanks for the heads up dude!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
In Illinois, each bartender has to take a course and pass an exam on alcohol awareness. The Alcohol Awareness Program (WAP) is mandated by the Dram Shop laws in the State.

Also, several municipalities have separate licenses for individual bartenders, including Schaumburg, where Medieval Times is located (where I did 7 years as a strolling magician and still do special event work).

Many states have also mandated a bartender's liability clause to the Dram Shop laws that make it a bartender's responsibility should someone be injured or killed after leaving the bar on their way home.

Thanks to MADD for that little kicker.

One has to wonder how a bartender can tell how many drinks a "functional alcoholic" has had before they come into their bar for one last drink... then, on the way home, if they kill someone in a car wreck and the bartender who sold him ONE drink is somehow liable...

Doesn't seem logical. Especially if the guy doesn't appear outwardly inebriated.

Sorry, that was a little OT.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Things every bar magician should know (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL