The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » True Lies iPhone App Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
True Lies iPhone App Review
The December 2011 MUM magazine / The Society of American Magicians
Tech Tricks Column by Bruce Kalver

A Lie Detector based on your voice

We've reached a point in magic apps where most f the methods are now known. A swipe, a secret touch, or a look in the right spot is usually the secret. For now, the surprise method is no surprise. The thing that makes a magic app stand out for me is the routine. Will it be entertaining or will it be an obvious puzzle that has no real entertainment value? The new Carl Andrews/Gregory Wilson app, True Lies, falls under the entertainment category.

The spectator writes down the name of a card. The app then asks three questions to which the spectator can lie or tell the truth. The app correctly identifies the lies as they come up and ultimately comes up with the card.

I have shown this around to a group of computer geeks and they actually believed that this app can tell if they are telling the truth by their voice. They actually went into a long discussion about the involuntary inflections in a person's voice and how that can be a "tell" to the app. I then asked them if they wanted to pay a game of cards with me and they all yelled no and left the room. The method is super simple so you can concentrate on the presentation. The graphics look cool and realistic as they chart the spectator's voice patterns. This one goes on my iPhone's home screen. True Lies is available in the iTunes App Store for $4.99

http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Been having fun with this one. It works extremely easy and you will read it once and be ready to do this. You do need a very good presentation for this so when I say read it once and be ready, I'm referring to the actual methodology, the ease of use for the app itself. I like the entire idea, the voice stress pattern, similar to a lie detecting machine premise but using voice. Any card freely selected or named or written down etc and the spectator answers 3 simple questions and the stress level in their voice determines truth or lie. The machine reads true or buzzes and says lie. At the end the freely selected or named card appears on the screen. Reasonably priced and delivers as advertised.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Thanks Rizzo! It is easy to do and you can focus on the presentation as you suggest. Like Bruce said in his review, I also can attest that the spectators are convinced that the lie detector is real. It's really quite amazing and fun to do. I appreciate your support!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Can anyone tell me if this app works on the I Pad as well, and are there any other routines possible with the app, like an old comedy style Lie Detector.
Also, below are other app’s, I found, I have not tried yet.
Alex Ramon, A Vegas magician has a lie detector routine with an I pad, but I have not found any info on it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lie-detec......562?mt=8

http://www.appbrain.com/app/advanced-lie......liarliar
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Dave it will work on your iPad although it is an iPhone App. It does one thing and does it convincingly. The premise it that it will help you tell if someone is bluffing or not at the card table, etc.
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
This is a fabulous effect...and down-right genius in construction. Plus, it's just plain fun to perform!!

I highly recommend this app.

A.J.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Thanks A.J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » True Lies iPhone App Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL