The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Handshake Induction (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tehmagic1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tehmagic1
I just got into hypnotism after watching a lecture on it at a convention I went to. I tried some inductions on my friends at a party and surprisingly, it worked! I even tried some simple suggestions! One thing the lecturer mentioned and I saw in a dvd was the "Handshake Induction". (No, not that "ZAP" thing.) Whenever you go to shake someone's hand you immediately take their hand and bring it to their face and say "sleepy" words (I'm not sure of technical terms I just started lol) But I do know what to say and the tone of voice to speak with. So I started trying it, and It never worked once. :/ Two things happen: They either resist and say "what are you doing?" and give me a strange look. Or I bring their hand to their face, I say my spiel, nothing happens then its just really awkward lol. I understand it probably just takes practice, but anybody who has used this induction have any tips? Variations? Also, what could I possibly say to be as little awkward as possible lol. Thanks in advance!

Andy
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
I am inducing you to split your post into readable paragraphs. I like your message and want to enjoy reading it.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9424 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is scary...

..."surprisingly, it worked"

That's it, try hypnosis on actual people after only attending a lecture.
tehmagic1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tehmagic1
Quote:
On 2011-12-06 20:47, johncesta wrote:
I am inducing you to split your post into readable paragraphs. I like your message and want to enjoy reading it.

I just got into hypnotism after watching a lecture on it at a convention I went to. I tried some inductions on my friends at a party and surprisingly, it worked! I even tried some simple suggestions! One thing the lecturer mentioned and I saw in a dvd was the "Handshake Induction". (No, not that "ZAP" thing.) Whenever you go to shake someone's hand you immediately take their hand and bring it to their face and say "sleepy" words (I'm not sure of technical terms I just started lol) But I do know what to say and the tone of voice to speak with.

So I started trying it, and It never worked once. :/ Two things happen: They either resist and say "what are you doing?" and give me a strange look. Or I bring their hand to their face, I say my spiel, nothing happens then its just really awkward lol.

I understand it probably just takes practice, but anybody who has used this induction have any tips? Variations? Also, what could I possibly say to be as little awkward as possible lol. Thanks in advance!

Andy

There, that's better, sorry I was rushing my typing a bit Smile
My friend also had a set of DVD's I borrowed from him that were very helpful. (I forget what they were though, Plus I was reading whatever seemed legit online as well. Anybody recommend any good books to get started?
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Hey man, you should attend this webinar with Igor Ledochowski tomorrow. Igor is one of the greatest hypnotists out there with some great information, here is a link if you are interested man:
http://simplengine.com/t/tracker/?pid=707884&uid=5047179

-Jake
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9424 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
So I started trying it, and It never worked once. :/ Two things happen: They either resist and say "what are you doing?" and give me a strange look. Or I bring their hand to their face, I say my spiel, nothing happens then its just really awkward lol.

This is simple...it's because you are not trained and do not know what you are doing. Hypnosis is not an effect you get from reading book, attending a lecture or watching a dvd. Based on just the brief description you offered it screams of a plethora of obvious mistakes common with someone uneducated or not trained.

To answer your question, if you are interested in performing hypnosis, learn hypnosis first, get the proper training. Don't worry about a Handshake induction. That has nothing to do with anything that is your problem.

In reality, how can you (or anyone) truly expect any kind of results when you do not know what you are doing? Just because you witness hypnosis doesn't mean you can somehow perform or execute hypnosis yourself.

If you are interested, seek the proper training and most if not all of your questions will answer themselves. BTW - don't even attempt to try to hypnotize your family, friends or friends of friends.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
You can learn this from a book. I recommend Anthony Jacquin's Reality is Plastic, and Eddie Bourke's Secrets of Professional Stage and Cabaret Hypnosis.
horganpaul
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of horganpaul
2 Vital things I learned -

1) Hypnotic contract.

2) The Hypnotist's intent.

I read all the books mentioned here , but it was only when I did live one on one training (and furthered it with a hypnotherapy course) that I really learned the value of those 2 concepts.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1308 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
The induction you are talking about is a pseudo induction; you are struggling for the simple fact you haven't learnt proper technique and/ or subject management. Forget about learning the fastest induction, work on your character and how you come across to your participants. There are some fantastic minds on this forum; that I am sure will 'guide' you down the right paths.
steerange
View Profile
New user
West Country, UK
10 Posts

Profile of steerange
Nicely put Peter. I admit to being mostly a lurker but there are some great things on this whole site, let alone this section to browse over and absorb. Looking forward to the day when I can make significant contributions and be berated for my opinion... Or at least disagreed with politely Smile
Change Your Mind, Change Your Life
Have a SteeRange experience
tehmagic1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tehmagic1
Yeah I will get real training sometime, like pretty much everyone around the forum is suggesting. The DVD I have is a 4 DVD set of a whole workshop (with a bit of editing of course). All my questions were answered and I'm a pretty fast learner. So from watching that, I got pretty much everything they taught from that lesson.
What would be the advantages of actually being there in person? (Like, I understand what everyone is saying; but I'm just not sure if I want to pay for a professional lesson right now) Plus, a lot was taught at this lecture I went to too (which was kind of like a mini lesson). But thanks for everyone's comments so far Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9424 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I don't believe you truly do understand what everyone is saying, by your above post. Re-read your post, "you will get some training sometime", "I'm not sure if I want to pay for professional training", etc. You are hearing what is being said but you are not understanding it. You trying to convince yourself that you are a fast learner, and that from the lecture and DVDs you think you can somehow become a hypnotist.

My advice is to give it a rest until you are able to fully understand it, and are willing to be committed enough to learn hypnosis properly and safely, by getting the proper training and proper hands-on, supervised practice experience.
Hypnojc
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Hypnojc
You said that some of them resisted and said "What are you doing?". This either implies that a) you were trying to hypnotize them without their consent, or that your structure was not fluid and clear enough for them. And either ways, it's a clear signal that you didn't have rapport. And trying to do hypnosis without rapport is like a frog asking to be kissed by a beautiful princess. Not impossible, but very unlikely. Smile

Also remember that the "spiel" you say when you get their hand in the air is not only words that you say, they need to be backed by a strong intention, confidence and I would add an emotion of talking TO that person, not AT that person. And they must feel you really care for them in the process, that they are safe with you. If you are merely reciting a script, it's like someone from a call center calling to sell you something and reciting their script to you on the phone. It's just really irritating and rapport-breaking.

On the other hand, if you mean and feel every word that you say, with respect and confidence, the impact will be totally different. And if you have a good 30 sec - 1 min pre-talk, you should never get a "strange look" or a "what are you doing?" response. This is feedback that what you are doing is not fluidly melting with their reality, and they don't like it. From what I read from you, lack of rapport was what I felt might be the biggest part of the problem you experienced.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Hello everyone! This is my first post here! Smile
daxi
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of daxi
Am I missing something here. Or is this about the Erickson (interrupt) Handshake?
If so tehmagic1, this is done whilst momentarily interrupting the pattern of a normal interaction, thus causing a few seconds confusion. Thus allowing you to in plant a suggestion. And if this is what you are talking about, then it is the equivalent of a tight rope act whilst you just learning to walk.
The whole concept of this technique tehmagic1 is to be able to plant a post hypnotic suggestion quickly & without even onlookers realising what has happened. So it requires a lot of self confidence to get it to work, even as an experienced individual. It also requires a lot of skill in misdirection & a clear idea of what is to be achieved. As the chance to implant that idea for post hypnotic suggestion is only a few words long.
I understand Darren Brown uses this method & how many people spot him doing that?
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
You're missing plenty.
Erickson had no interest in disguising to onlookers what he was doing.
Once again on a thread, this one about a single induction, confusion reigns, highlighting the importance of decent training.
daxi
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of daxi
OK. Maybe it could have been worded better. The handshake induction is a very small part of a group of similar inductions, be that pattern interrupt or more direct confusion techniques, that are also sometimes called gypsy hypnosis.
Whilst Erickson himself may not have said it was a technique that was aimed at fooling onlookers. As the handshake induction works upon the subconscious anyone using it in a public place would clearly not wish for it to be interrupted or for any form of distraction to take place.
Look at the handshake ..Shake Hands Normally. Upon Letting Loose, linger with Little Finger & brushing with Middle Finger. Once attention is given to Middle Finger. Shift to a touch with Little Finger. Once Little Finger is noticed switch to Middle Finger. Once Middle Finger is noticed Shift back to Thumb Brushing. To ensure separate Neuro-Recognition. Touch underside of hand Gently. Severe contact very gently, almost Unnoticeably. If Detraction is necessary utilize appropriate conversational eye contact.
That is not an overt act of hypnosis. It is subtle & anything but obvious.So maybe what I should have said was that in most magical applications where it is used. It is the chosen method as even those looking on will not notice it being done.
And certainly the street practitioners of Gypsy hypnosis, who are normally reported to talk very fast & who often include robbery in their act do not want others to be aware of what is happening.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Here is a rather old and pretty raw video of me demonstrating and using two kinds of handshake Elman style and Erickson style, once in class and once in performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpD9bkMv9nw

This link is another handshake, Bandler style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h0EaLK09zs in class and here in performance, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STzta20HR......BECD2815

Take your pic.

Focusing on the 'pattern interrupt' of such things is what prevented me from using them for a long time. It is not the important element.

Any questions between the three let me know.

The Bandler style handshake is the first induction I teach to beginners, a) because it gets it out of the way and b)because it is one of the easiest to execute.

All three are taught and demonstrated properly on The Trilby Connection DVD. The few First edition copies that are left are available on Amazon UK with a 20% discount throughout December.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
tehmagic1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tehmagic1
So training is pretty important but I am actually only 16 and don't have my own car yet and of course with school, it's kind of hard to get around. I don't think there are any teachers anywhere near I live either. So in a few years if I want to go into that as a career or maybe add hypnotism as part of my magic act, I'll look into training; but right now I was thinking of hypnosis as a hobby or something I could just try with my friends at a party or something. I'm still fascinated by the art it's so interesting!
Anyways thanks for the responses! Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9424 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's just like saying I'll be a plumber, race car driver, or a brain surgeon as a hobby or something until I can the get proper eduction and training. Perhaps your perceptions of hypnosis is only as on the surface without any real concept of the principals, techniques, skills, education and process involved. I was 14 when I started studying hypnosis. The "reasons" you stated above (age, transportation, etc.) are just excuses in reality. Like anything in life, if you are serious, you will make it happen, perhaps in time, but it will hapen if you are serious and legitimate.

Hypnosis is a skilled profession just like any other skilled profession. Your views of it reflect you age and demean the art, science and profession of those you are communicating with here. Rather than being so eager to jump in and participate, you may want to direct your efforts and energy into studying and planning out your actual path to training and education (goals) if you are serious. Hypnosis is much more than just doing what appear to be "quick, cool tricks."

This may not be what you want to hear, but it is sound advice. Ten or fifteen years from now you will hopefully be able to look back at his and see how many here offered you good advice and how your perceptions and expectations were a bit unrealistic and juvenile.

Your best bet is to take the information you've acquired here as part of your initial research. As said, you should not really being to attempt it until you are willing to make the necessary commitment and begin your education. In the mean time just continue to study independently yourself and learn. Listen and don't talk so much. You can learn if you are always talking. All my best.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I wish I´d known of a hypnotist in my home town when I was doing "work experience" (like shadowing) about 16 years ago.
;)
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Handshake Induction (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL