The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Alonzo Moore information (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SJMiller
View Profile
New user
East Tennessee
61 Posts

Profile of SJMiller
For those of you interested in African American magicians of the past, I have recently come across the following information concerning Alonzo Moore, the Black Hermann. According to death records of the state of Illinois, Alonzo Moore, magician, age 46,born in Tipton, Missouri, died in Norwood Park, Illinois on April 13, 1930. His residence was given as Chicago (Norwood Park is a section of Chicago). The records go onto state that Moore was buried on the same date of his death and the cemetery is listed as "Central Plant". This was the term used for bodies that were buried or cremated on hospital grounds.

No family information, such as spouse and parents, is listed in the records.

The records gave the estimated year of birth as 1884. Moore's draft registration card of Sept. 12, 1918 listed his date of birth as April 13, 1878. This year has, to me, always seemed suspect due to the fact that Alonzo is not listed in the 1880 census record of the family of Ersaphine Moore of Tipton, Missouri who Moore listed on his draft card as next of kin. In parentheses on the form by next of kin is "mother".

Moore also does not appear in the 1900 census records of Ersaphine Moore, although three new names are present, Bessie, born 1884, Nadine, 1886, and Lilia 1887. According to the census records, Ersaphine Moore had ten children, nine of which lived. It would seem logical to deduce that the missing child not listed in either census was born before the oldest listed child, Sallie, who was born in 1864. That leaves only one possibility and that is Alonzo Moore was listed on the 1880 census by another name. Two boys are listed in the 1880 census, Louis born in 1876, and Willie, born in 1879. The 1910 census lists Alonzo Moore, occupation traveling magician, as being 34 years old. This would make the year of his birth 1876 and thus coincide with the 1880 census. Apparently Moore's real name was either Alonzo Louis Moore or Louis Alonzo Moore and he would have been 54 at the time of his death.

If any one goes on to use this information in published form, I would ask that they please give credit to me in either the acknowledgements or sources sections. Lot of work and personal time went into finding this info and I don't think a little credit is to much to ask for.

Sammy J Miller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Alonzo Moore information (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL