The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
What is the best Marked Deck out on the market right now?

Greg
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
This is such a broad subject to answer, do a search first and when you find one you might be interested in, search the reviews for that particular deck/system. There are so many reasons one may be more appropriate than another based on how you plan on its use. That being said, I prsonally like the deck I prepare myself. Check out PM Marking system. Jeff
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Greg,

Think of it as a readability to disguise ratio. In general, the easier and quicker it is for you to read it, the easier and quicker it will be for a savvy spectator to detect the markings. So the question you need to answer is "Who is my audience?"

If you are performing on the street or at a picnic for laypeople who wouldn't generally suspect marked cards and/or you need to get the glimpse in the time it takes for them to pick a card out of the spread then you would probably want something that is easier to read, i.e. a non-symbolic marked deck.

However, if you're performing for a sharper group then you will want something harder to detect, with the understanding that it may take you a split second longer to read the marks.

In fast company, you will likely need something like juice or luminous decks which are the hardest to read initially but when you master the technique you can read them from across the room. They are also the most difficult to detect, even by those in the know.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
The best marked deck for me is Boris Wild's. I didn't see the marks when I took it out of the box, and it took me less than a second to discern the identity of the card after I had read the instructions. Spreading the cards from left to right, I can discern them all, yet the marks are invisible to everyone else.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Once again the best and classiest out there is the ULTIMATE MARKED DECK. It is a Bike deck - perfect markings - easy to read - and the decks will no longer be made again as USPCC does not allow changes to the backs anymore. Grab one before they disappear. They were created by Magic Dream in France.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1470

The David Blaine "Mind Reading" decks are also nice (split spade design) -and cheap too for the quality. Markings are more obvious but you still need to know what to look for.

There are many other threads on this same question - search for them.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
I agree with saysold. The ULTIMATE MARKED DECK is a very good choice, easy to read and hard for someone to detect if he does not know what to look for.

Joe
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I what to thanks everyone for their input. I want to be able to get a glimpse in the time it takes me to put the other cards back into the card box.
Quote:
On 2011-12-12 14:50, Joemv wrote:
I agree with saysold. The ULTIMATE MARKED DECK is a very good choice, easy to read and hard for someone to detect if he does not know what to look for.

Joe

Joe and saysold.
I going to try these first.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
I also agree with Saysold. The UMD is excellent!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
The "GT Speed Reader Marked Deck" is also good. Here's a link to a WPR episode where the deck is discussed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJctx9SKk8&t=8m22s

Works well in conjunction with spectator peeks. Printed with Mandolin backs BTW.

Marty
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On 2011-12-12 14:22, saysold1 wrote:
Once again the best and classiest out there is the ULTIMATE MARKED DECK. It is a Bike deck - perfect markings - easy to read - and the decks will no longer be made again as USPCC does not allow changes to the backs anymore. Grab one before they disappear. They were created by Magic Dream in France.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1470

The David Blaine "Mind Reading" decks are also nice (split spade design) -and cheap too for the quality. Markings are more obvious but you still need to know what to look for.

There are many other threads on this same question - search for them.

I agree. The fact they they are Bicycle cards tips the scale for me.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
GT Speed isn't the one in Mandolin back?

UMD is one of the best, then Boris Wild's. I haven't used my Boris Wild because I'm always afraid they're gonna spot the markers. Of course, this is me thinking as the performer.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Thanks guys for your help.
Merlin Wolfstone
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Merlin Wolfstone
Boris Wild's mark deck is fabulous.

However, I much prefer blockout work on a bee pack for an undetectable unbeatable sure fire marking system - Outstanding. And its home made.

Best regards,

MW
magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
I'm of the opinion that making your own marked deck is generally easier to use and harder to detect than any bought deck.

I personally use blackout work on tally hos/mandolins/bikes when I need to.

-Raahul
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Hello Raahul

What do you mean with 'blackout work' and how is it applied to a Bicycle deck?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I have Boris' deck, but not the Ultimate Marked Deck. Nor have I seen it. For those of you that have both, which ones markings are better disguised? I had know that the Phoenix decks were marked and as soon as I saw one, I immediately saw the marks. For me they were just too obvious.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Well I have both, but because we know where and what to look, for me Boris Wild is more obvious especially for cards with 10 value and higher.

But I know that I don't speak for everyone, there are people here in this forum that are very confident using Boris Wild Deck.

For me, UMD is much more hidden as they are not printed across the frame line on the design. I hope I don't reveal too much. I would suggest you to get both and see which one is more comfortable for you. Even in terms of the price, UMD will cost you a little bit more than Boris'.

Hope it helps.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I already use Boris' deck and like it. In my opinion not as obvious as the Phoenix deck. I'll have to check the UMD just to compare.

Thanks, it does.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

I love UMD not because Boris' is obvious, but for me, UMD is more hidden so it gives more confidence I guess.

I'm just curious as once I saw a marked deck for $45. I will find the link. I'm just curious why it is so expensive just for a marked deck.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
$45 for a good marked deck is cheap depending upon who your audience is....

For most magicians, less expensive marked cards are fine since the audience does know what to look for, nor are they likely motivated enough to spend the time to catch you.

On the other hand, professionals who want the most deceptive marked cards have been known to spend $75 - $175 per marked deck which is designed to fool people who are "in the know".

These expensive marked cards are overkill for most readers of this forum.
Long Island,

New York
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Marked Deck (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL