The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Definition? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
Hello everybody,
I'm wondering how you would define the word "mentalist" to a lay person.

In an every day chat, if somebody ask me what I do for a living and I aswer "mentalist", he will look at me with a look saying what is he talking about?

When you say to some one that you are a magician they can see what you are talking about (whatever your specialty in magic is)but when you say mentalist they don't have a clue of what you are talking.

So I'm looking forward to see what is your general definition of a mentalist.
Smile
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
Hi Alex,

Without really answering your question and at the same time referring to my previous post regarding presentation of abilities (re Psychokinetic Silverware), I think lay people's almost universal ignorance of the term 'mentalism' can be used to advantage. That is, when people ask how you perform your miracles, your simple response is 'mentalism' - they can then form their own definitions, or go away and find out for themselves. There - no lies necessary about 'psychic' powers!

bb Smile
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
170 Posts

Profile of Millard123
A mentalist presents his effects using only the power of his mind. He uses no props at all.

So mentalism is a demonstration of mental powers.

That includes any mental skill such as mathematical, scientific, psychological, paranormal, etc.
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
290 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Although my definition sounds a bit "academic," I explain that "mentalism is that branch of magic that focuses on the mind. The illusion is not visual, it is mental."
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Alex,

While I am known as a Mentalist, I am known by the general public as a psychic entertainer. I have sometimes told people that "I am a mentalist, a psychic entertainer, a thought reader...take your pick". Seems to work for moi.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Quote:
On 2002-05-06 05:11, Alex Reeve wrote:
Hello everybody,
I'm wondering how you would define the word "mentalist" to a lay person.

In an every day chat, if somebody ask me what I do for a living and I aswer "mentalist", he will look at me with a look saying what is he talking about?

When you say to some one that you are a magician they can see what you are talking about (whatever your specialty in magic is)but when you say mentalist they don't have a clue of what you are talking.

So I'm looking forward to see what is your general definition of a mentalist.
Smile
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Quote:
On 2002-05-06 10:02, Millard123 wrote:
A mentalist presents his effects using only the power of his mind. He uses no props at all.

Not quite no props at all. We tend to use paper, pencils, envelopes etc. quite a lot!

Anyway, another definition of mentalism would be "the art of simulating psychic phenomena".
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
290 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Paul,

I like your use of multiple terms to describe what you are. That's great verbal misdirection. You're claiming everything and you are claiming nothing all in one breath. The bottom line is that you are setting them up to see some really cool stuff, which is what we're all about.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
From the "Who is Andrew Lewis?" page of my website, I explain it as, "In simple terms, a mentalist is an entertainer who displays unusual abilities of the mind, such as predicting the future, reading people's thoughts, and causing objects to move just by concentrating on them."
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, the use of the word "mentalism" to describe what we do is really a secondary definition of the word. The primary definition offers interesting presentational possibilities.

Here is a list of definitions I compiled from several on line dictionaries:

mentalism: the belief that the world can be explained as aspect of the mind

MENTALISM
The belief that mental processes are autonomous (see autonomy), can explain but not be explained by an organism's behavior. Mentalism is opposed to behaviorism. N. Chomsky is its most recent advocate. (Krippendorff)
mentalism
<metaphysics, psychology, philosophy of mind> the view according to which only mind or spirit really exists, or that mind or spirit is the fundamental substance in the universe. Mentalism is sometimes called immaterialism, and is usually held to be similar to or equivalent to idealism.

1. mentalism n A doctrine that mind the true reality and that objects exist only as aspects of the mind's awareness.

mentalism -- a doctrine that mind is the true reality and that objects exist only as aspects of the mind's awareness.

I use the last definition when asked what mentalism is. It also answers the ancient question, "If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one around to hear it fall, does it make a noise?"

A mentalist would answer "No." If there is no mind aware of the phenomenon, it doesn't exist in the sense that it can be quantified or measured, a view that is supported by quantum physics and demonstrated by Heisenberg's uncertainty principal.

If you explain it this way to people they will be effectively deterred from asking further questions.

Best Regards-

Bob Cassidy
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
Thank you all for your input.
Mr Cassidy I like your last definition.
Very interesting!!
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Here is the definition I use on my web site when you roll over the word "Mentalism" with your mouse. Essentially the same thing Mr. Cassidy wrote.

"The process of mental action.The theory that the physical world exists,and is explicable only as an aspect of the mind, -idealism (philosophy)"

E-Leoni.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Definition? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL