The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Caveney's Hand Juggling (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
I'm considering buying Mike Caveney's Hand Juggling routine to add time to my original stuff so I have enough material to enter the college market. $850 is a lot of money for me to lay out right now. I know Caveney is great but I've never seen him perform this routine. Is it funny? Really funny? Worth $850? I think Caveney's character and mine are close enough that I could use material that he uses with only slight modifications but I need to know if this routine is worth some serious financial pain. Can anyone help?
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I haven't heard of Mike Caveney's Hand Juggling routine, but Jason Garfield's Juggling Master 3 video might be a cheaper choice. Dube's site says this: " Juggling Master III is the final installment in the Juggling Master trilogy. Learn to put together the juggling skills you have acquired into a performance. This tape has instruction on: stage movement, posing, choreography, facial expressions and more. Also inlcuded in this video: Jason's routine which won the 2002 IJA championships in Reading, PA; a new section containing juggling tricks harder that the world's hardest juggling tricks; and outtakes."
Philip
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I have had a chance to see Mr. Caveney's Hand Juggling routine. It was great. It is geared more for comedy than for showing your juggling skill, although it does take skill to do.

It is meant for a professional show or at least for someone that is really serious about performing, and that is why there is a high price tag.

K.C.
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
Thanks, K.C.
Everying I perform is geared toward comedy but I have enough skill that that part shouldn't be a problem. It is a LOT of money but if it's really great and would add quality time to my show then it might be worth the considerable investment.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Caveney's routine is a pro routine, and if he gives you all the bits and gags and YOU USE IT... it is worth the price.

The skill level is like simple club juggling, but you can make it more difficult and add moves if you already are good with clubs.

Anybody want to buy a set of original Harry Lind Antique clubs? Real wood. Need redecorating as foil cover is olde and falling off. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
It's been a while since I posted this question so I thought I'd ask again. Does anyone have this? If so, could you review it?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dear Peter
I have always wanted a set of Harry Lind clubs. Can I afford them? I would like to see a picture of them, and hear your asking price. I am a lifetime juggler with not a lot of money. My email address is juggleral@comcast.net
Looking forward to hearing from you
Al Angello

I saw this trick on ebay and I had no idea what he was selling, now I know it was a routine. How long does this routine last for $850? I would think it should be the center piece of your performance for that kind of investment.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I know this is an old routine but I thought I'd add this for those thinking about trying this.

I've seen snippets of Mike doing this routine and it had me in stitches. The video on his site is just some of the highlights and its just hilarious. However, I've also seen someone else perform this routine verbatim and although on the video his audience is laughing, they're not laughing as loudly as they are in the video of Mike.

Mike Caveney is just naturally funny.

When he tells the gags they're side splitting. But when this other guy did the same gags, not really that funny at all.

If the full routine I've seen on youtube (the one not of Mike) is anything to go by this will run about 8-10 minutes. A good routine, but only a handful of performers would be able to pull this off.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
10 years ago Mike sent me the DVD of this. It is a great routine but there is no way I could do it, the humour does not travel that well to the UK and it is just not my style. If it DID work for you it would be money well spent, the routine is well thought out and hilarious in the right hands.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Here is the routine that we are talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-sJGx_68o

Not only does it not give enough bang for the buck, but I couldn't possibly work that slow.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
My advise would be to make something up yourself...
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Mike Caveney (and others) will be in Myrtle Beach, SC, for Magic At The Beach January 12-14, 2012 where amongst other things he will be MC'ing the Champions of Magic show. I would strongly suspect that he will perform the routine while here. http://www.magicatthebeach.org for more info.
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Wow, that routine was FAR too long, bored the pants off me. It's been many years since I saw Caveney's version but I remember it being much snappier.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
The link Al posted isn't of Mike, and proves my point about it needing the right performer in order for this to work.

Many of the gags need Mike to deliver them in order for them to be funny.

Comedy is difficult to copy and get the same reactions. I do comedy shows, but this wouldn't work for me. I don't think it would work for most. There's only one Mike Caveney.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Caveney's Hand Juggling (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL