The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » LEARNED PIG EMAIL PROBLEM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
smileymcsmiley
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of smileymcsmiley
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the best place to post but just a heads up if you are on the learned pig's mailing list. Please do not reply to the confusing email as it looks as though someone has hacked the email address and replying to the email will just send an email out to everyone on the mailing list which has been happening now for the last two hours.

:) Smile
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
This is p!ssing me off big time! Flooding my email box. Anyone got a fix for it? I can't block them, because they are all coming from a different email addresses.

Lloyd
smileymcsmiley
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of smileymcsmiley
Nothing can be done I am afraid. You just have to wait for it. I would suggest if you can set your junk mail filter to strict and anything not on your address book should be sent straight to junk. I cannot do this though as I used my work email address Smile
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
295 Posts

Profile of Kingman
The only way to block it is to create a filter on the keyword "message". The users just need to quit replying, its crazy. Although it is the most activity on the mailing list I have ever seen. Nice to know there are so many members. Smile

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
The issue is a mis-configured mailing list.

If you reply, it makes it worse!!!

SEY
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4010 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
^
^
^ That is just what I was thinking. That, and hitting "Reply to All"! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
I am a complete idiot. Let me say it again: I am a complete idiot.

Due to the weird nature of my email program-- the button that normally is reply, converts to "reply to list" when you're emailed something from a list. (Thunderbird)

I spammed everyone with a ad I had prepared for The Classic Force Monograph. It was designed to go to MY customers, not the Learned Pig List.

I am ashamed.

and I'm sorry.

SEY
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
First, I cannot believe in this day in age, people being so ignorant that they reply to an email like that.
Just freaking ridiculous.

Second, you CAN do something about it if you can filter your emails (a la Gmail). If you want to stop seeing the emails in your inbox,
create a filter to do whatever you want with emails that are addressed to: ezine@thelearnedpig.com.pa

I have them removed from my inbox and Gmail does a fine job.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 00:55, Frank Starsini wrote:
First, I cannot believe in this day in age, people being so ignorant that they reply to an email like that.

I already said I was an idiot.
I looked again, the button doesn't change, a new one show up.

Did I mention I feel pretty dumb and sheepish right now?

SEY
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Steve,
If you're set up that filter it should work great. I'm not getting anything right now. I have to search my email for "ezine" to find them.
Are you a Gmail user? If so, you can test the filter before you apply it.

p.s. I forgive you.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
657 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
This is hilarious watching everyone tell everyone else to shut up and stop replying. Priceless.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-15 01:47, Eric Evans wrote:
This is hilarious watching everyone tell everyone else to shut up and stop replying. Priceless.

That's the only reason I'm not deleting them yet. The comedy factor and watching people get furious over it is worth keeping them archived for now.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
It's funny that everyone who is saying "stop replying!" is not reading the messages that everyone else is sending saying "stop replying!"

An easy way to stop it is to create a filter in your mail program to automatically delete any messages that are sent to "ezine@thelearnedpig.com.pa" Much more effective and thorough than subject blocks.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2670 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Personally, I'm just happy to receive emails for once that aren't trying to sell me little blue tablets or a Russian Bride! Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
paullong
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of paullong
It's been a really funny morning, I've actually quite enjoyed it.

A simple blank email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line sent to the learned pig email address does the trick.

Someone is sending out "blue waffle" photos now. Nice!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Classy, eh? I've implemented the filter...but I do miss all the replies. (It's what passes for entertainment in my world.)
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As spam problems go, this one is pretty minor (so far).

But I do miss the EXCELLENT newsletter. In fact, I bought Marko's Best of the TLP ezine and it is a terrific magic book and generally fun read.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2565 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Looks like as of this morning the Learned Pig has been shut down over this...There goes another excellent resource.

http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I am off to The Netherlands for three weeks. When I get back I may have a solution. I will e-mail Marko in January when I get back and keep you folks informed. I will propose to host the files. There won't be a newsletter or any of that stuff, but we'll see if Marko allows it.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2565 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I've already asked him if I could host the files as well. This is too good a resource to shut down.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » LEARNED PIG EMAIL PROBLEM (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL