The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One more Q: managing our straight and gaffed decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
I use a regular deck, invisible, Svengali, and set of David Regal decks.

If I store them on my person, they're going to take up a lot of room and make nasty bulges, right?

Is my sole recourse using a case (note my previous post)?

ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I use a regular deck and one gaffed deck only. I change the gaff, depending on my mood/client/etc. It don't lose much in my repertoire, but I also don't have to carry a case (note my previous post after your previous post).

Steven
Coram Deo
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
you should cut down on the number of tricks you carry and just have a couple of routines per night. or you could also look at my post on your first post which is coincidently right after steve's post like it is here.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I carry about a dozen effects when I perform walk-around, which isn't a problem in that I have numerous pockets available (pants and suit jacket). I could carry only two effects and perform those all night, but I'd lapse into a boredom-induced coma.

Larry D.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
If you wear jacket you can do as I did and add two small inside card deck size pockets to each side, towards the bottom, under the inside breast pockets. (There may be one there already as "standard equipment" with the jacket.)

This gives me room for the four decks I use with no bulges. They are all red Bikes, I keep each deck in the same pocket all the time. It allows me to switch decks between effects (some card stuff, some coin stuff, some more card stuff with a different deck), with the spectators assuming its always the same deck.

Bill Beach
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Thanks Bill. That makes the most sense to me, so far. How do you handle venues when it's so hot that wearing a jacket is unthinkable?

ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
You may try wearing a fanny pack. I have seen magic store dealers wear these to carry the various props they use.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
When it's too hot for a jacket and the dress is very casual I wear a pair of shorts with "cargo" pockets, actually mine have an extra pair of zippered pockets behind the regular cargo pockets.

For "dressier" casual occasions I wear slacks with cargo pockets or a pair of "mobile" Dockers that are manufactured with hidden extra pockets.

You also might consider a vest, go on down to the topic titled "The Clothes We Wear", there are serveral
threads on different types of vests and where they can be purchased.

Bill Beach
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Thanks Bill. That makes the most sense to me, so far. How do you handle venues when it's so hot that wearing a jacket is unthinkable?

Hi,
To me if I am being payed good money it's never too hot! I think it's down to the performer to get on with it. I have been performing quite a lot (24 times in the last 2 months in a large (for where I live) theatre 750 seater we had a Blazing summer the stage theatre is about 70' long and lit to the hilt I close the show with a straight jacket escape and at the end of the act I was dripping wet but that's all part of performing professionaly. Same with close up as far as I am conserned
Phillip
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Dripping with sweat doesn't sound like the person I want standing next to me performing magic.

I suppose it is different if you are on a stage.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Dripping wet with sweat adds to vs. detracts from a straight jacket escape. You want to convince the audience that it's extremely difficult, and sweat/exhaustion adds to that impression.

Here's a related story. I performed for years at a famous magic dinner theater/bar in the mid-80's, and after the show, one of the performers would go out into the crowd and thank people for coming, BS with everyone, etc., while he was still dripping wet with sweat from performing on stage. I once asked him why he didn't wipe off the sweat before mingling with the crowd, and he explained that he wanted to leave people with the impression that he worked hard. Words of wisdom.

Larry D.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Being a deck junkie, I carry a ton of decks on me. I put in several extra pockets on the inside of my jacket, each one holding a deck. When I put it on, I feel like I'm wearing a bullet-proof vest!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
magical65stang
View Profile
New user
Turlock, CA
73 Posts

Profile of magical65stang
The mobile dockers pants were my solution. I have too many gaffed decks so I only carry one on me with a regular deck at the restraunt. my case is in the back of the house so if I feel I need to change for someone special I can do that too. the pants have so many pockets that you could really carry... at least seven different decks on you and still look normal.
"I'm not a liar, you just don't see the truth."
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just bought 2 pair of these pants.
Turns out you get 2 extra slim pockets on outside thigh and you get a double-pocket on the right pant pocket instead of just a single-pocket.

I have not tried them out yet but I'm hoping I'll like them.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2003-09-14 00:54, Ashkenazi The Pretty Good wrote:
I use a regular deck, invisible, Svengali, and set of David Regal decks.

Ick!

Whilst performing at UCLA on Wednesday I met a young man who wanted to know where I bought my "magic" cards; it seems he's a beginning magician with a host of special decks. I handed him the deck I was using, purchased at Costco because they're cheap there, and asked him to show me something. He fiddled a bit and handed them back. I told him to get "Royal Road" or "Close-Up Card Magic"; he told me that he had a book on card magic: you know the one--black, with the hat on the cover.

I did three hours of walk-around with two regular decks--blue and red--a Card Warp deck, two coin purses, three ropes, five rubberbands and a Sharpie marker, whilst wearing slacks, a shirt with a breast pocket, and a vest: seven pockets total, two of which I didn't use. (I'd wanted to wear a bowler, but couldn't find one in time; I'm not sure it would have given me any additional storage space.) The only reason I had two regular decks was insurance against "losing" a needed card--an ace, for example.

Methinks this thread belongs under the rubric of "Where to put it all..."

Those Dockers sound intriguing, however.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
One word here, don't you think a spectator will get curious as to why you are carrying around fifty decks on you in special made pockets in your jacket. I have seen a magician do this and I have one or two added pockets in my jackets, but keep your jacket closed, because it does not look good if they see a whole bunch of cards in your jacket. But I just say away from trick decks all together, except for my shows and that's only a stacked deck. It is just easier to use a normal deck and do a few good trick with it.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
David Stone was selling a type of pouch that he uses for restuarant magic that holds alot of stuff. I e-mailed him a few months ago asking if I could buy one through the web, but he said they were all out. So if you see him on tour he might have some that he only wants to sell at lectures.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
"I use a regular deck, invisible, Svengali, and set of David Regal decks. "

1.Cut the Regal decks, Svengali, and invisible.

2.Corner short the regular deck.
3.Buy Kollassal Killer.
4.Buy one of the new german made shim cards, and an m-5 or cheaper for a no strings rising card.(as well as PK)
5.Buy the Euro reader deck and stack per instructions.

There. Plenty going on with two decks. One in each pocket. This will give you 2-3 effects on one deck, and 2-3 on the other. Every other table gets the right or left pocket. This gives the specs something to talk about since they all saw something different. The more they talk the bigger the 'miracles' become.

The corner short deck gives you a key card and still lets you do Chicago Surprise or other well known classics, as well as a killer no strings rising card that can work under any lighting.(takes practice!)

The effects of a marked and stacked deck are some of the most amazing out there. If a spec kills your order you still have a marked deck to work from.

Use KK for your out.

Two decks.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-09-14 21:16, Ashkenazi The Pretty Good wrote:
How do you handle venues when it's so hot that wearing a jacket is unthinkable?

I wear a vest.

When it comes to doing strolling card magic, I may carry two decks on me at the most. I usually carry an old incomplete deck for signed card effects and a full deck for other effects. I prefer to learn handlings that allow me to do the same basic effect as a gaffed deck.

But, gaffed decks can be used for sit-down performances, behind the bar and in parlor shows, because a prop case can be used.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One more Q: managing our straight and gaffed decks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL