The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8555 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oooh, thanks for mentioning SPECIAL EFFECTS and the opportunity for a plug. Thanks so much. No, for those who've asked, it is NOT on my magic website. Go to my personal email address (with the word "earthlink" in it) and we can talk. You can also learn about other stuff of mine that's currently available. Just saying... (PS: You're not referring to quotes like the one on the rear of the dustjacket, are you, Magiman? "Lorayne is a god!! Pure and simple. There is no need to get "used" to his writing style {unless you are accustomed to 3rd rate juvenile publications}. He speaks with a magician's voice and covers all as succinctly as a surgeon. His Afterthoughts not only filet each piece but represent a style of authorship that has yet to be improved upon. Buy anything and everything with Harry Lorayne's name on it because you can be assured of its value." (Magiguy; The Magic Café) I realize how upsetting this must be to you, Magiman. So sorry.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8555 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
For those who care - this is what I mean when I say that I never start these things, I only respond. Please note - nobody else mentioned my name (unless he means Hector Loring) until just above mine above. I just believe that remarks like that should be responded to. I do appreciate that he puts me in the "extensive knowledge of magic and great skill" category, but insulting it still is. (That's what I mean, Opine.)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-12-23 22:30, Magiman wrote:
If you are referring to HL, definitely. The people who put up with it most, and then put down other members of this board in HL's defense can be recognized inside and around the slipcover of his new book "Special Effects."

I was referring to several people, none of which I will name.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would not post antagonistic posts in this thread. About anyone.

SEY
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 00:12, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I just believe that remarks like that should be responded to.

Harry: you're wrong.This is not the real world. It's the internet. Communications work differently.
I have about 25 years of experience on forums. (I think-- when did Windows 3.1 come out?)

Every single time you respond, you make it worse. Not only that, every time you respond in anger or call names, you make it exponentially worse. A few times, you've started things by not understanding how communications on the internet work. You did, however, apologize when the situation was explained. But for the most case, other people do start it. You know what? At that point, only YOU can stop the exchange.

Pointing out a troll's low IQ won't stop them.
Citing facts and proving you're right won't stop them.
Arguing with them won't stop them.
Calling them names won't stop them.

In the decades I've been on these things, I've only seen ONE tactic that works: starving them of attention. Not only that, by ignoring them you win. Because when you ignore them, they don't get what they want.

It's your choice-- if you want them to be happy and feel good about themselves, then respond. That's what they want. So feed them if you want. Or you could starve them to death... of attention.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I'd consider it a personal favor if you would not respond to them in this thread.

Please.

SEY
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10874 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Harry listen to Steve
you are too well respected in the magic community
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Lest someone else mention this-- for a very long time I was a complete online jerk.
I wasn't a troll and didn't call names. But you know that phrase "doesn't tolerate fools gladly"?
I took that expression to such an extreme that thinking about it now makes me ashamed.
I've learned and I've changed but sometimes it's still hard not to slice and dice someone I feel is using bad logic, incorrect facts, etc. So my hands are not bloodless. However the stains are starting to come off. Smile

SEY

P.S. BOY did that sound literary pretentious. But it's true.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3354 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Well said Steven Youell,

Let me just add....well I can't think of anything to add.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Where can all the trolls and idiots post tho...(although,who cares!!) ;-)
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1752 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Indeed...
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8555 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Okay. You're right, of course. I myself have said it soooo many times - responding makes those "small" people feel "bigger." I will try my darndest; promise.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
One member here, a total stranger, actually took the time to PM me and tell me that my avatar photo resembles a corpse. How is that for Internet communication? It's all in good fun. You really cannot take any of this stuff seriously. Face to face most of would get along fine with each other.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10874 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
This si something to think about

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable."

- Robert Fripp
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I thought it strange when I heard that great boxers (in fact, world champions) need bodyguards! This is simply because there are fellows out there who would want to provoke the champ. Perhaps they could get their name in the paper, or perhaps they could even get a lawsuit going if a punch was thrown by a man with registered fists. Or perhaps they're drunk, like the occasional guy who climbs into the lion's cage after the zoo's closing time thinking he can win that fight. One of my previous posts complained about the 'vendettas v vips; so, I am grateful for this topic and pledge, Steven. Happy Holidays to all & don't drink too much egg nog, Lynn
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 09:32, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Okay. You're right, of course. I myself have said it soooo many times - responding makes those "small" people feel "bigger." I will try my darndest; promise.

You've got my sympathy and help Harry-- I know from experience it ain't easy. That 10 minute rule was even modified. The guy who taught me told me AN HOUR! But it works even if you have to adjust the time. Thinking about how a message will throw gasoline on a fire is very helpful.

SEY
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2011-12-23 21:24, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-22 17:22, tomsk192 wrote:
My worry is concerned with the potential to alienate certain members who often contribute excellent information; I am thinking in particular of the more bookish people. It would be all of our loss if those people stopped contributing.

Could you clarify this? Are you saying that if someone has extensive knowledge of magic and great skill we should tolerate their bad behavior?

SEY


I'm all for toleration. Fussing and fighting is unpleasant, and if it puts people off contributing then it is also deplorable.

Happy Christmas to you and all.

Tom
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 20:29, tomsk192 wrote:
Fussing and fighting is unpleasant, and if it puts people off contributing then it is also deplorable.

Similarly for boorish rudeness.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 21:01, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 20:29, tomsk192 wrote:
Fussing and fighting is unpleasant, and if it puts people off contributing then it is also deplorable.

Similarly for boorish rudeness.


It is good to hear from the polite side of magic. Did you have a good Christmas, old chap?
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Best solution for all may be to emulate Harry Truman. Truman often received critical letters while he was in the White House. He'd read them, and respond in letters filled with sarcasm and vitriol. And then, once he'd written the letters...he'd crumple up the letters and throw them out. The Internet makes it too easy for us to disseminate our thoughts without really thinking whether it would make sense for those thoughts will benefit us by being out there.

Food for thought.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
smileymcsmiley
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of smileymcsmiley
I don't really contribute that much but will be happy to say I am in for this too.

I used to troll people a lot when I was much younger. Why? Because it was fun to get any reaction at the time. I am not sixteen anymore though. that's why anyone who reacts is known as Troll Bait. Its always good to remember that. As people have said before if you respond in anyway shape or form you are making their day. Alternatively someone has mistaken what you have said. Either way I always take to heart what my dad told me when I started secondary school. Is what someone said about you true? Yes. Then don't worry about it. Is what they said about you false? Yes? Then don't worry about it, its not true so it shouldn't affect you.
Ignore the keyboard warriors and the trolls and they will eventually go away Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 20:00, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 21:01, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-24 20:29, tomsk192 wrote:
Fussing and fighting is unpleasant, and if it puts people off contributing then it is also deplorable.

Similarly for boorish rudeness.

It is good to hear from the polite side of magic. Did you have a good Christmas, old chap?

I am home from Charlotte for Christmas and New Year's, and our daughter flew down from Seattle for four days: it was fabulous!

How about yours?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL