The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..14~15~16 [Next]
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 10:49, Merc Man wrote:
I'm In Steve.............on the proviso that I NEVER have to use a close-up mat! Smile

Close=up mats are not people... lol

SEY
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 11:02, TJ Halford wrote:
I also have no clue as to whether Mr Youell does either.

I have no authority here. None.

And TJ? Everyone who responded to your post understood exactly what you meant.
Most of them are trying to provoke a response in a thread that is trying to get people not to respond to them...

SEY
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 10:47, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I think that NOT taking this pledge is akin to saying, "I reserve the right to be rude and argumentative if I so choose," which is too bad.

BS Andrew. I'm not rude etc.
What you say is just plain WRONG!
maybe for people like you and those who post "I took the Pledge" you need some sort of proof you are BETTER than others...what ever.
Don't go calling people names...ie rude argumentative etc because that the way you and the others behave...you just fell into your own trap.
You people need some self control.

When you all joined this site the TOA you agreed to say's it all...
that's the last I'll post on this subject.
1tepa1
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 11:30, Duaut wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 10:47, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I think that NOT taking this pledge is akin to saying, "I reserve the right to be rude and argumentative if I so choose," which is too bad.

BS Andrew. I'm not rude etc.
What you say is just plain WRONG!
maybe for people like you and those who post "I took the Pledge" you need some sort of proof you are BETTER than others...what ever.
Don't go calling people names...ie rude argumentative etc because that the way you and the others behave...you just fell into your own trap.
You people need some self control.

When you all joined this site the TOA you agreed to say's it all...
that's the last I'll post on this subject.


Have you not seen where this forum has come? I know there is "rules" that you need to agree to when you register, but the fact is that this place isn't about "magicians helping magicians" anymore. I hope this thread can remind people that we can infact argue and disagree respectfully, or at least without being rude.

And I actually like to think that is has helped some people, myself included. This way when we are about to post something not so nice we will remember that " dammn I took the pledge, let's try to keep the promise".
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1216 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 11:15, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 11:02, TJ Halford wrote:
I also have no clue as to whether Mr Youell does either.

I have no authority here. None.

And TJ? Everyone who responded to your post understood exactly what you meant.
Most of them are trying to provoke a response in a thread that is trying to get people not to respond to them...

SEY


What’s wrong with “provoking a response” or “starting a debate”?
Whenever you start a thread you are explicitly provoking responses, why else do you start a thread or add a comment?

And yes, we all understood T.J.: he thought that the pledge should be mandatory. I thought the mandatory part amusing; I wasn’t offended in the least.
Fact is I think pledges, freely entered into, are great! According to divorce statistics they work just about half the time! I wish they kept statistics on shotgun marriages so we could determine the efficacy of mandatory pledges.

If anyone has read Dan Ariely’s book, Predictably Irrational, you know that being reminded of codes of conduct etc. before an exam did apparently reduce cheating – would this also work here in regards to polite behavior, I don’t know? Would it work long term – I doubt it.

A.

Ps.: Could anyone help me with scripture for WWJD when the green light turns amber?
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
*Metaphorically passes everyone here their favorite beverage*

Folks, much of the passion that sometimes manifests itself in nastiness - and I am guilty of that nastiness too - comes from our love of magic and that we have a very cool virtual convention here at The Café. I like Steven's idea but what I see happening is that some people are misinterpreting it as some sort of Nazi ritual. I cannot speak for Steven but I sense that the pledge in spirit is a mechanism in which we work as a community to minimize a good deal of the plain meanness we see here.

To quote a very VERY famous rabbi from 2 millenia ago, it is the not the letter of law but the spirit of it that is important. Let's be honest folks: there are times when threads have become just plain ugly with character assassinations, ad hominem argument, and puerile pettiness. I do not read anywhere in Steven's pledge where we cannot correct a member who may have made an erroneous argument. If that was the case then we might as well pack it all in and go do spring flowers. But I think at least it is the HOW we address certain issues. Many of us have never met and there is the problem that text cannot convey conversational language in ways that are as easily interpreted as physical presence. I cannot see your body language, your eyes, nor hear your voice and vice-versa. So to me the pledge is to try to bear that in mind and go gently.

Ahimsa (that word means a lot and I still struggle to attain its lofty meaning),

Vlad
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2496 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 11:09, Steven Youell wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 10:49, Merc Man wrote:
I'm In Steve.............on the proviso that I NEVER have to use a close-up mat! Smile

Close=up mats are not people... lol

SEY

Agreed mate.......but that don't stop some people on here trying to convince me that their lives depend on the bloody things! Smile
Barry Allen

14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 11:15, Steven Youell wrote:

Most of them are trying to provoke a response in a thread that is trying to get people not to respond to them...

SEY

From someone requiring no "war/flame/troll" on this forum, I find this one delightful...
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1216 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 12:32, Vlad_77 wrote:
*Metaphorically passes everyone here their favorite beverage*

I like Steven's idea but what I see happening is that some people are misinterpreting it as some sort of Nazi ritual.

Vlad


Misinterpreting it as some sort of Nazi ritual! No! Absolutely not!

Silly, self-important, drivel! Maybe. (sipping Ardbeg)

A.

btw. Wore out my close-up mat Tebowing last weekend.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 10:47, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I think that NOT taking this pledge is akin to saying, "I reserve the right to be rude and argumentative if I so choose," which is too bad.


Well, you can think that; it is both combative and coercive. I'll stick to my own moral outlook, whilst trying to stay within the rules of this forum.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I think this thread -- and the whole Café in general -- could do with a great deal more benefit-of-the-doubt from a lot of people on both sides. Part of the reason so many threads descend into bickering is that too many members tend to go straight to Defcon 1 the instant they read anything that can remotely be perceived as offensive to their sensibilities...or even as a slight.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
People who don't want to participate don't have to do so.
And they certainly don't have to belittle those who do want to participate.

People who do, aren't better than those who don't.
People who don't, aren't better than those who do.

It's just an idea to help the people who want to avoid participating in flame wars and letting others provoke them.

That's all.

SEY
smileymcsmiley
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of smileymcsmiley
It's such a shame that a good natured well meant topic has drawn fire from people. I agree that this should not be needed but other topics have shown otherwise people get angry too quickly. If a great deal of the topics descend into name calling then it becomes difficult for everyone when using searches to find what they need when they have to trawl through post after post that goes off tangent from the original question of a topic about who said what and blah blah blah.
Take the pledge or don't take it but don't sit there and b***h about it. Its not some kind of conspiracy to force everyone to be nice to people, now that would be plain dangerous!
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
IN
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2904 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 16:00, Steven Youell wrote:
People who don't want to participate don't have to do so.
And they certainly don't have to belittle those who do want to participate.

People who do, aren't better than those who don't.
People who don't, aren't better than those who do.

It's just an idea to help the people who want to avoid participating in flame wars and letting others provoke them.

That's all.

SEY

Absolutely. Thank you again for starting this. Seems as though no one was specifically pointing fingers at some of the people who suddenly became defensive about the subject. Interesting to see how different people react. At least it helps me to better understand who truly wants to contribute something meaningful to this board, and who it's best to simply ignore. I don't care what words of wisdom some people have; if they can't be kind in their delivery and act like adults, it's not worth my time to listen to what they have to say.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1216 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
"Seems as though no one was specifically pointing fingers at some of the people who suddenly became defensive about the subject."

WTF?

A.

btw: I'll be kind and act like an adult: GO TO BED!
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 21:39, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 16:00, Steven Youell wrote:
People who don't want to participate don't have to do so.
And they certainly don't have to belittle those who do want to participate.

People who do, aren't better than those who don't.
People who don't, aren't better than those who do.

It's just an idea to help the people who want to avoid participating in flame wars and letting others provoke them.

That's all.

SEY

Absolutely. Thank you again for starting this. Seems as though no one was specifically pointing fingers at some of the people who suddenly became defensive about the subject. Interesting to see how different people react. At least it helps me to better understand who truly wants to contribute something meaningful to this board, and who it's best to simply ignore. I don't care what words of wisdom some people have; if they can't be kind in their delivery and act like adults, it's not worth my time to listen to what they have to say.


You really are passive agressive aren't you? When you're not just being agressive. With such a shining example of rudeness, it further confirms the meaninglessness of this pledge. Why did you take it Andrew? If anything, your posts have got nastier....

It 'interests' me to see the lines being drawn in the sand here. As I wrote, pages ago, it is all a bit "us and them". I understand Steven's motivation, and support it. However, those acting as his Gestapo really are the limit.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
In like a mothertrucker.

Down with the Gestapo.

Vive la revolution.

Workers of the world unite. You have nothing to lose but the trolls.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again


- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2904 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Never mind guys. Bowing out. I'll add this to the ever growing list of threads I just won't participate in because they all seem to end up as arguments. It ain't worth my time. Enjoy your bickering.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL