The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
JR Russell
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JR Russell
I like this pledge AND billmarq's pledge!...I'll do both!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2874 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2012-01-25 02:06, billmarq wrote:
Let's start a new pledge - "I shall practice magic for at least two hours every day before posting anything on the Café."

Does this mean two hours of practice before each individual post? If so I'm in trouble
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
And is it retroactive?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
I know that you realize my previous post was in jest, but here I am sitting in bed, browsing the Café and practicing Charlier cuts in my left hand at the same time. I believe there is enough room in my life for both practice and the Café.

It is funny how the same sorts of people appear on different boards. I am part of a screenwriters board where periodically some well-intentioned person will show up to tell us all that we should be writing and not posting.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2486 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-02-10 04:10, billmarq wrote:
I know that you realize my previous post was in jest, but here I am sitting in bed, browsing the Café and practicing Charlier cuts in my left hand at the same time.

Makes a change from most blokes I spose! Smile
Barry Allen

Chan Canasta - so much achieved, with so very little. A REAL Mentalist.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I always use the left for Charlier cuts...
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
I could never do a Charlier when younger so I never used it. I was recently reading a book in which the author had written, "I presume you can do a Charlier Pass..." as part of the instructions on how to perform one of his card miracles. (Yes, THAT guy.) I felt incompetent and decided to finally learn. It isn't difficult so either my hands are a bit larger now or I simply developed the proper technique.

None of this has anything to do with making pledges, but I am in a mood to gab.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
I learned to do a Charlier cut when I was pretty small...with a half-sized deck of Snoopy cards. I felt like I needed to be able to do it, because my cousin Sally could do one, and she wasn't even a magician. Smile

It was only years later that I learned it was called a Charlier cut.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2486 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Or for anyone that studies Erdnase - The 'Charlie's' Cut (one of only about six errors in the entire book; not bad for the year it was written).
Barry Allen

Chan Canasta - so much achieved, with so very little. A REAL Mentalist.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
The totally useless thing I regularly practice is the one handed faro, for which the Charlie's cut (!) was the springboard.

I like the picture of Michael Skinner executing it perfectly, whilst saying, "Evidence of a misspent youth."

Lovely. But sad too. Hey, that's theatre.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
(thanks, Billmarq, for turning the thread hither.)
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Does a perfect, one-handed faro fall under the heading of Showing Skill? Smile
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
OK now I just want to see if we can get the thread to 15,000 hits.
I was shocked when we passed 10,000

SEY
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2012-02-10 22:46, FrenchDrop wrote:
Does a perfect, one-handed faro fall under the heading of Showing Skill? Smile

I would say....... yes. Indupitably, it does. As long as when 'the heat is on' you show *nothing*, then the odd bit of grace can be rather attractive to the audience.

*cue theme to "Different Strokes"*
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
I'm in!
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
I'm in.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
Masters of your domain, how do you sleep at night?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Tim Roesch
View Profile
New user
Holy Cow! A Whole
50 Posts

Profile of Tim Roesch
I'm in!
Bicycle Rider
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Bicycle Rider
Me too!
Conjurer of cheap tricks
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
There's far too many nice people joining the Café for my liking!

What's happens to all that flaming back stabbing that we have grown to love?

Seasons greetings to one and all. Especially those on the west side of the pond. You've had more than your fair share of crap recently! But on a brighter note, I'm still remembering my holiday in CA earlier this year. Smile (oops - vacation!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL