The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..14~15~16 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I look at my magic bookshelf and all the stuff I need to read. I look at my practice table and think about how little time there is to perfect the art. I look at my idea book and think about how little time there is in my life to create my own astonishing effects.

And you guys waste time doing this.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2486 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
You know the really strange thing about the Café?

I spend most of my time reading/contributing within the coin sections of this forum. Posts between guys are generally very helpful and respectful. The same can be said for the various threads covering classic magic and books.

Where do I see most bickering? Undoubtedly within the card magic and 'new tricks released' sections. Maybe it's purely a coincidence but I wonder where most new(er) magicians spend most of their time on here?

I wonder how many are those same annoying know-alls we see at conventions and magic club lectures; forever sitting there juggling and showing off with inane card flourishes when their time would be better spent LISTENING to the performer? They are the type of person that will always tell you how they have perfected every insignificant card move with the most recent deck of skull-backed playing cards but, in reality, have never performed magic for anyone other than their parents or internet girlfriend. They will wax lyrical over the most recent one trick DVD or pdf; without realising that the trick/move has been around since the 1940's. But what's the point of READING old books?

I could go on...........but I'm sure that some posters on here will be able to associate with my aforementioned words. Smile
Barry Allen

Chan Canasta - so much achieved, with so very little. A REAL Mentalist.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 04:12, tomsk192 wrote:
I understand Steven's motivation, and support it. However, [b]those acting as his Gestapo[b] really are the limit.

Godwin's law.

Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.

There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself) than others. For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1216 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2012-01-19 12:32, Vlad_77 wrote:
I like Steven's idea but what I see happening is that some people are misinterpreting it as some sort of Nazi ritual.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
prg
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of prg
I wonder what kind of false shuffle Hitler preferred.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 13:08, Merc Man wrote:
... annoying know-alls we see at conventions and magic club lectures; forever sitting there juggling and showing off with inane card flourishes when their time would be better spent LISTENING to the performer?
I could go on...........but I'm sure that some posters on here will be able to associate with my aforementioned words. Smile

I certainly associate with it and the very reason I stopped going to my magic club. I always seemed to end up sitting by the bell who would incessantly cut cards throughout a lecture! Jeesh!

But going back to something else you said Bal: You wanna pop into "Penny" for a good old heated row occasionally. When the self proclaimed, real-deal, psychics drop by - the discussions there make the ones you refer to in the "Workers" section akin to an episode of "Watch With Mother"!

Back on topic now - I've been visiting this thread for a while now and have decided that it's not for me either - but recognise a well-intentioned gesture by Steven. But I cringe at those who feel that the ones that opt out are, by inference, allowing for the right to occasionally abuse!

The rules for this place are plain to see elsewhere.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 10:56, BillMcCloskey wrote:
I look at my magic bookshelf and all the stuff I need to read. I look at my practice table and think about how little time there is to perfect the art. I look at my idea book and think about how little time there is in my life to create my own astonishing effects.

I look at one of the largest resources for magic on the web and see magicians calling each other idiots over a particular finger position and think... oh never mind what I think.

I can tell you this: I know of at least 6 top flight, world famous magicians who no longer post here because of the nonsense that goes on here.

That's what we lost.
Despite the Terms of Service.

I also know that it takes self-discipline to keep from responding to trolls. That was my intention-- to help people like me who WANT to ignore trolls, but sometimes just can't resist it.

My intentions were good but I apparently did not have the foresight to see it would result in a few people referring to me as a Self-Serving Nazi. Should have seen that one coming, I guess. Smile

So argue on, folks-- but I don't think you'll resolve anything. So I'll move on and hope others will as well...

SEY
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
I'm going to come down firmly on Steven's side. I signed up early for the pledge, under the theory that it takes two to argue...and I'm not going to be one of them. This has nothing to do with being a Nazi or anything of the sort. This has everything to do with people agreeing to be civil online. You don't need to publicly state that you're taking the pledge...it doesn't matter...but for goodness' sake, let's try restoring a little civility in the discussion here. Even if you disagree with someone else, you can express that disagreement in an honest, yet respectful, way. Name calling and insults serve absolutely no purpose.

I'm a member of several fora in addition to this one. It is not by accident that a number of members of the other boards regularly laugh at the kind of stuff that goes on here. Let's see if we can get back to the original purpose of this board, and to keep it from regularly turning into "Magicians Insulting Magicians."

So, yes. I'm proud to stand with Steven and his pledge.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
OmniHumpty
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of OmniHumpty
I'm in!
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-01-20 10:56, BillMcCloskey wrote:

Here's what I think about that:

If discussing magic with other magicians is not a waste of time (and I don't think it is), then trying to make our discussions more productive is not a waste of time.

But hey -- I have strange ideas about what is and isn't a waste of time. Personally, I think popping into a thread just to tell all of its participants that they're wasting their time is a waste of time. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10874 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
FORM THE GODFATHER

http://youtu.be/oFVFkVyQGNQ

BILLY SAYS IT ALL
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
" Personally, I think popping into a thread just to tell all of its participants that they're wasting their time is a waste of time."
right you are. the reason I don't pop in here very often anymore.

6 pages to argue about a pledge. jees.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 15:09, BillMcCloskey wrote:
" Personally, I think popping into a thread just to tell all of its participants that they're wasting their time is a waste of time."
right you are. the reason I don't pop in here very often anymore.

And yet.... Smile
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1216 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 01:45, prg wrote:

Pretty sure Hitler was a coin guy.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3157 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 15:58, Alewishus wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 01:45, prg wrote:

Pretty sure Hitler was a coin guy.

A.

Hey, easy now, no need to insult Hitler like that.

RELAX EVERYBODY, I'M KIDDING!

(I'm not really kidding.)
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"And yet.... "

And yet, you've been able to squeeze out 548 posts in the 3 months you've been a member and I've been able to squeeze out 436 posts in the 11 years I've been a member. You win! You obviously know more and use your time more wisely than myself. I bow to the superior person.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-01-21 18:29, BillMcCloskey wrote:
"And yet.... "

And yet, you've been able to squeeze out 548 posts in the 3 months you've been a member and I've been able to squeeze out 436 posts in the 11 years I've been a member. You win! You obviously know more and use your time more wisely than myself. I bow to the superior person.

What?! When did I say I know more than you or that I'm a superior person? Smile

I will say this: I don't regret a minute of the time I've spent on the Café. I've learned a lot I didn't know about magic in general and card magic in particular. I think it's really accelerated the pace at which I've gotten back into magic.

I don't consider it a waste of time at all. Those who do, well...I'd *expect* them to post here less than I do. I've never been a post-counter, and I certainly wouldn't assume anyone who has fewer posts than me knows less than I do -- which is why I never have and never will even imply that.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Two ears. One mouth.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Okay, Bill.

I'm going to let it go. I don't want to force you to make any more posts in a thread you consider a waste of time. Smile
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I was once asked to write the by-laws for an organization. I ended up with:

Article I: Don't be stupid.

Article II: Don't be a jerk.

Article II: Gentlemen can agree to disagree.

It was pretty much agreed that with these in place, everything else should work itself out.

I'm in, Steven!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL