The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..14~15~16 [Next]
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
This is the first forum in 15yrs where I've seen a PLEDGE to not argue needed. LMAOAYSA

my observation...grow up people.

Why take the bait from a bunch of lowly trolls?

Just don't answer, nuff said on this subject.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1752 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I find this thread naive. In any case the Café has an etiquette we all implicitly agree to when we join and it says among other things:

"However, like a real Café, we do expect you to act like ladies and gentlemen and show good manners and courtesy while visiting. Thank you."

That surely should be enough to diffuse most issues. Taking another pledge is not going to make any difference - I bet.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
My Grandparents were Methodists, and both took the pledge.

The shock and horror when a sherry was taken at Christmas....

I think the meaning of this is spot on, but pledging things gives me the willies.

Too much of an iconoclast, I suppose.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 12:23, Claudio wrote:
I find this thread naive. In any case the Café has an etiquette we all implicitly agree to when we join and it says among other things:

"However, like a real Café, we do expect you to act like ladies and gentlemen and show good manners and courtesy while visiting. Thank you."

That surely should be enough to diffuse most issues. Taking another pledge is not going to make any difference - I bet.

Yes, the Café already has a very long list of rules, scattered across multiple sticky posts in multiple forums. I won't speak for Steven, but I frankly think it's a lack of enforcement from the management that makes this pledge necessary. An agreement among members to voluntarily follow a handful of very basic rules of courtesy in the absence of oversight by the board's moderators seems like a noble idea to me. I don't know if it'll work or not. If it does work; I don't know how long it will last. But I don't see what good comes from members predicting its failure when it's still trying to get off the ground.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Incidentally...in case anyone else is having the same problem I had: If you want to put the "I took the Pledge" thing in your signature (or anything else), it's necessary to go into "Edit Preferences" in your profile and make sure "Always show signature" is set to "Yes."

Now I have a sig. w00t!
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
MVFAN
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
I'm in.

Pete
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Historians opening up new threads in the right place, with a spirit of academic debate, would solve this problem without anyone having to take a pledge.

It's called 'For the Record'. But it doesn't get the same level of readership as the workers.

There's tumbleweed in them thar hills.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Many years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Steve while working in Nevada, in a venue outside of magic. He came into our place with some friends, and they proceed to shoot up the place. Someone found out Steve was a magician, and when I came into work, that information was passed to me, as I was primarily in charge of game protection. I introduced myself to Steve as both a fellow magician, and the boss of the joint. Steve promptly went to his car, got a copy of his most recent lecture notes, came back in, and gave the copy to me, and then promptly returned to shooting up the house.

I don't know if he remembers, but I sure the hell do. This act of generosity and professionalism makes him one of the good guys, in my book. I always try to follow and associate with the good guys.

Count me in, Steve. It's good to see you're still a very cool cat.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 15:24, tomsk192 wrote:
There's tumbleweed in them thar hills.

When I was in Boy Scouts we had a pair of brothers from Scandanavia who used to scour maps looking for hills known as the "Demdars", because of all of the references in old Westerns to . . . well . . . you get the idea.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Har!

I picked up something interesting in my college book-larnin' days: Did you know that the phrase "There's gold in them thar hills!" -- while generally associated today with the California Gold Rush -- was actually spoken in reference to hills in the state of Georgia and a gold find that was made there some 20 years earlier?

I remember a few other things from college, too. I totally got my money's worth. Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3354 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Patrick Differ, What the heck does "Shoot up the place" mean?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
S2000magician & FrenchDrop:

:-D
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Smilerobably learning the difference between 80 and 86 proof..
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 15:59, Steve Friedberg wrote:
:Probably learning the difference between 80 and 86 proof..

That's simple, it's, erm, TWELVETY!!

(is this correct?)
MagicDr
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
111 Posts

Profile of MagicDr
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 15:58, MeetMagicMike wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I was imagining some kind of pistolero revolutionary in a sombrero with a revolver in each hand, literally "shooting up the place", but somehow I figured that would be inaccurate Smile
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 15:58, MeetMagicMike wrote:

I suspect that he intended it to mean that they had a rollicking good time.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 15:34, Patrick Differ wrote:
I don't know if he remembers, but I sure the hell do. This act of generosity and professionalism makes him one of the good guys, in my book.

Holy Crap! I've kept that memory forever! How COOL IS IT that we meet here! However, you may want to define "shoot up the place" a little more so people don't think I carry guns...?

SEY
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 17:32, Steven Youell wrote:
Holy Crap! I've kept that memory forever! How COOL IS IT that we meet here! However, you may want to define "shoot up the place" a little more so people don't think I carry guns...?

I thought it might just mean you were winning an inordinate amount of money from the House. Smile
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-12-21 17:35, FrenchDrop wrote:
I thought it might just mean you were winning an inordinate amount of money from the House. Smile

I can neither confirm nor deny any rumors of my gambling or owning a gun... Smile

SEY
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Quote:
I suspect that he intended it to mean that they had a rollicking good time.

That is exactly how I remember it.

And I'm glad to say that place is no longer in existence, which signifies a massive lack of evidence that could either confirm or deny anything regarding anything. All I can say is that there my initials were carved into the bar when it came down, and those chandeliers took a real beating that night.

Happy New Year, everyone. Don't lose your cool.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "The Workers" Pledge (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL