The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Routine for 20th century (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I would like to do the trick, since it's visual and the 'trick' can is very easy to understand, but I'm having trouble coming up with a premise for 'why' I would take one silk, make it vanish and have it tied between the other 2.

I've done a couple of searches, but I have only come up with 1 routine or premise for the 20th century silks. Its very funny, but involves the 'shorts' trick and implies that I'm going to pull a woman's bra out. It would not be at all appropriate to even imply this for the venue that I am working.

David Ginn had a very clever version, with a Star Wars premise (the odd silk was put into a 'torture' box from which it vanished and ended up between Darth Vadar and Princess Leah), but I need a premise which would be appropriate for adults.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

David
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think there is an overemphasis on "justification" in magic. What "justification" is there for using a handkerchief to produce a dove? There is none. What justification is there for making cards or balls appear at the finger tips? There is none. What justification is there for cutting a rope and then putting it back together? There is none. What justification is there for making a bottle and a glass switch places under tubes and then have the bottles multiply out of control? There is none. What justification is there for making balls appear and disappear under metal cups? There is none. What justification is there for making metal rings link and unlink? There is none.

To paraphrase Keats--"Magic is its own excuse for being!"

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
There are a couple of recent threads on the 20th Century Silks.

Amado has made some good point. Just to give you a little more specific information: one really good suggestion is from Bob Sanders: use it in conjunction with silk to egg.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Making the result an "unexpected surprise" takes away the need for a reason. These are just things that seem to happen to you ever since you started doing magic. Here's an example: You hand someone four separate handkerchiefs to hold, for example red, green, blue and yellow. You have the person hand you two of the handkerchiefs and keep two for himself. You attempt to teach him how to tie two handkerchiefs together, but while he succeeds, it doesn't work for you... nothing ever does since you started messing around with magic. His red and green silks are tied together, but your blue and yellow silks change into one large blue and yellow striped silk. Now you try to show him how to untie his two handkerchiefs into a loop, as you tie the diagonal ends of your one handkerchief into a loop. It works for him, but in the process, your handkerchief disappears. More unexpected bad luck blamed on your messing around with magic. Now you take his handkerchiefs and try to make them disappear, but instead the yellow and blue striped handkerchief appears tied between the red and green handkerchiefs. You can't seem to do anything right!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
David,
Drop me a regular email and I will send you a couple of ideas by email.

Don't worry about justifying things. That is the magician in you talking. Entertain and they will not care what you do with what.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Wow...this could be the start of real tangent...but I'll try to be more specific.

Somehow, I think if I could relate the silks to something the audience knows, and feels, then the 'trick' will be more powerful than me simply displaying extraordinary powers, or lack thereof (the spectator does something I can't, etc)

By the way, the show that I'm putting this together for is mainly seniors at retirement communities, if that is any help.

Thanks for the comments so far.

David
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
How about the story of a magician vanishing, only to re-appear between his two lovely assistants?

Perhaps his magical feat could have been something he was challenged to do, perhaps by a competitor, or a skeptical newspaper reporter?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My "I Don't Do Blue Material" routine uses a 20th Century Silk with the Blue silk in the middle.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-12-20 17:10, Anatole wrote:
I think there is an overemphasis on "justification" in magic. What "justification" is there for using a handkerchief to produce a dove? There is none. What justification is there for making cards or balls appear at the finger tips? There is none. What justification is there for cutting a rope and then putting it back together? There is none. What justification is there for making a bottle and a glass switch places under tubes and then have the bottles multiply out of control? There is none. What justification is there for making balls appear and disappear under metal cups? There is none. What justification is there for making metal rings link and unlink? There is none.

To paraphrase Keats--"Magic is its own excuse for being!"

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

And this is one of the reasons magic is where it's at today.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The justification is simple. I bought the trick at the magic store and you are darn well going to sit there and watch me attempt to do it. And if that's where magic is at today, it's not my fault. Now sit there and watch me! I'm good! I know I'm good because I've been doing this for sixty years and no one has yet locked me up because I wasn't good. You like that trick? I have a drawerful more just like that one at home. Wait and I'll get them and show them all to you.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Magic_engineer
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
66 Posts

Profile of Magic_engineer
David
I do mostly kid magic. My routine for the 20th century silks starts by asking which children have younger siblings. The two like silks become the older sibling trying to play with their friends. The third silk is the younger sibling, who should be napping, doing homework or chores, etc. But the younger sibling isn't where he/she should be (vanishes), he/she is with the older the sibling and their friend (appears between them). This seems to be an universal experience and kids respond well to it.

Hope this helps
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Is the 20th Century Silks strong enough to stand on its own as an effect. Just a thought

I've used this as an opener from a firebowl etc to music occasionally and its played ok but I often wonder if its really a strong effect?

Seeing Whit Hayden's routines for example-I'm sure he probably wouldn't use it as an individual effect as it's not strong enough etc. Maybe I'm wrong -appreciate advice etc!!!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It depends entirely how you frame the routine. It can be an interlude or a showpiece. It's strength (or weakness) lies only at the performers talent and creativity. When I perform it, it definately stands on its own. But, then my version is a little different than most.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Justification my Aunt Fannie. God, I am SO sick of hearing this trope lately.

Look, magic at it's BASE LEVEL HAS NO REAL WORLD JUSTIFICATION.

The audience doesn't care, they want to be entertained, not bored to death with "justification" for why you're pulling a rabbit from a hat, multiplying sponge balls, making silks appear/disappear, making bills float...

I'm with Amado and Payne.

THIS specious reasoning is exactly why magic is stagnating. If I have to "justify" or put a "real world reason" forth for my effects, then I'm a ****-poor entertainer and should just hang up my top hat and take up accounting.

/rant off
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-12-20 15:59, drosenbe0813 wrote:
I would like to do the trick, since it's visual and the 'trick' can is very easy to understand, but I'm having trouble coming up with a premise for 'why' I would take one silk, make it vanish and have it tied between the other 2.

The premise is becasue you are a magician and you can do this feat!

I've done a couple of searches, but I have only come up with 1 routine or premise for the 20th century silks. Its very funny, but involves the 'shorts' trick and implies that I'm going to pull a woman's bra out. It would not be at all appropriate to even imply this for the venue that I am working.

I use to do the 20th Century Shorts trick, in the Army it won a talent contest for me. Abbott's use to sell a nice version where the silk ended up on the childs back.

If you don't want to the Bra presentation then don't, the premise is that the silk should end up between the silks, not the shorts.

David Ginn had a very clever version, with a Star Wars premise (the odd silk was put into a 'torture' box from which it vanished and ended up between Darth Vadar and Princess Leah), but I need a premise which would be appropriate for adults.

All adults were once kids, they even went to see Star Wars, remind them of their childhood - or not.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

David
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-01-04 10:54, Ekuth wrote:

I'm with Amado and Payne.

What? Wait! I'm definitely securely entrenched in the Justification Camp. One should always have a reason for doing what one is doing. Sometimes that justification is as simple as "Here, let me show you something neat" or it can be as complex and involved as a three act play. The important part is that one continually seeks out the potential meaning behind a trick or presentation. After all we are supposed to be artists, not mechanics.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Ah, upon re-reading your post, I see my mistake. Apologies. Too little coffee or liquor. Or both, perhaps.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Class never goes out of style!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
I'm going to weigh in on the side of justifications being required.

Henning Nelms (I think) wrote that making a ham sandwich appear in someone's coat pocket would be pretty neat...BUT...making it appear after the person says that they're really hungry makes it a miracle.

Why? The trick had justification.

And even a manipulation act can have justification. I think that part of Cardini's appeal was that these things were happening to him and that was because he was slightly tipsy. So, normalacy and sobriety flew out the window together.

I also think for most magic, justification is pretty simple. Rather than hold up a red ball and make it disappear, perhaps a discussion of "stealth technology" is in order. Or a Klingon cloaking shield.

Or mind control...ala The Shadow. Or hypnosis...or temporary color blindness.

But, that's just me...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-01-07 18:40, brody wrote:
Rather than hold up a red ball and make it disappear, perhaps a discussion of "stealth technology" is in order. Or a Klingon cloaking shield.

That would require research and hours of work. Are you kidding, reearch for a magic trick to make an enlightening and entertaining routine. Never happen! Unless it is on YouTube, why think for yourself and be creative, when you don't really have to with the Internet.

Eddie Joseph wrote a routine for his Coins and Silver Balls routine, building it around the reaction of different metals. No one ever has bothered to learn those big words in the script. Oh, and it is not YouTube, so don't bother to look.

I have never even heard anyone justify the Ball and Vase props. Just do the trick, it is shorter that way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Routine for 20th century (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL