The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Routine for 20th century (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Justifications for the Ball and Vase: (black ball) I just won a bowling trophy. It's kind of cute. It's a little cup with a little bowling ball inside.
(red ball) I found something special under the Christmas tree last Christmas. No, it's not this little container... that's just what I keep it in because it is so precious. Look! Rudolph's Nose!
(blue ball) *** censored *** something about a divorce *** you figure it out ***

Adds no time at all, invites interest, provides "some" justification.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Divorce....hilarious. Lovely idea. May just work with this idea. (Almost said "play with this idea")
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
“To justify, or not to justify: That is the question.” The ultimate determinant of the intrinsic value of any magic routine or performance is the response of the audience. On numerous occasions I have performed my four minute silent act (the dancing cane and card manipulations) in venues where most of the crowd is more interested in drinking or scoring than in watching a magic act. Nevertheless, from the moment I stepped out onto the stage, I had the audience in the palm of my hand with a short silent, manipulative act--and there was no “justification” inherent in any of the effects. The performance engendered in the audience a sense of wonder that they rarely encountered elsewhere. They took pleasure in suspending their disbelief for the few minutes that I was onstage, and expressed that pleasure in genuine, enthusiastic applause and vocal exclamations of wonder. (Personally, I don't think most audiences give a d--n about whether a magician's tricks are "justified." The only thing they really care about is being entertained.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

P.S. I see nothing wrong in using the word "trick" when presenting a routine. The word "trick" does not in any way diminish the audience's enjoyment of a magician's performance. In the real world, non-magicians speak about "the Indian Rope Trick" and it does not diminish the awe of just thinking about that _trick_. I still say that magicians themselves invent things to obsess over that the lay audience could care less about.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Learning to develop and deliver patter that builds a routine with justification is just one of the differences between an entertaining magician and an magic trick mechanic.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Ok now I am confused. I am not sure if I am an entertainer or a mechanic. And that is not meant as a joke. This really makes me take a second look at what I am doing in my routines. This thread is helping me.

Steven
Magic_engineer
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, MA
66 Posts

Profile of Magic_engineer
Steven, this is the real issue with magic (and all of life). Those that are natural entertainers tend to need to work on their mechanics. The mechanics need to work on entertaining. Performance requires both. To be a professional, you need to add business sense, marketing, etc. This is what makes magic wonderful. The same could be said for any profession that someone takes seriously. Because we are all human, we tend to spend some time on mechanics, then entertainment, back to mechanics, etc.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Did you ever believe that we would change the name to 21st Century Silks? In the 60s that seemed forever away.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Did someone say 20th Century Silks???

http://youtu.be/EUCLMDFxkI4
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-04-27 00:48, Scott Alexander wrote:
Did someone say 20th Century Silks???

http://youtu.be/EUCLMDFxkI4

Very visual and nice combinatons.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Thanks Bill

Rice is nice!!!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Scott, I recognized many of the Rice routines, except the silk toss, are you marketing that idea, or is it in the books.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

It is indeed in Rice's but not workable as printed. Puck and I retooled the "Prisoner's Silk" concept so it was a practical working piece. We are in the process of putting this routine out as an entire stage routine with all the necessary silks. Should hit the magic shops by May's end.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure it will be a winner, I like the sequence of effects, so much better then vanish and then appear between. Is that the old Marconic Prisoner Silk your were referring to?

Have you looked at Peter Scarlett's Silk routine in his lecture and notes. It is sort of a Prisoner Silk effect, very visual in that the silk flies from severat feet and appears between his silks. It looks very magicial as well. He sells it on his lecture notes and lecture CD.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Yes, Bill overlooked because of impracticality but this handling is really simple.

Haven't seen Scarletts routine. Sounds neat.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I enjoy my routine with 20th Century Silk for "I Don't Do Blue Material". The Blue center silk is not available to all. Fortunately that is no problem for me. It is also a good 18" pure silk set that allows all silks to be shown full square.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Bob, I just received a set of your 20th Century Silks, and the quality is great. What you say about being able to show full-square is important; my old set of silks was done on the diagonal ala Tarbell, but your setup is much stronger. Also just got the DoveLite Silk to Egg Walkaround version. Beautiful. Thanks!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Two possible themes not mentioned yet are:

A Christian one based on "Whenever two or more are gathered in My name, so also will I be there."

and "emergence" -- "We can only hold two thoughts in mind at once -- to compare, contrast or order. Yet, the result of such pondering is often a new idea having elemnts of both -- or neither. It's elemental magic wihin each of us."

I most profound 20th Century presentation I have ever worked on -- (crafted rather than performed) is to have the single silk slowly disolve to nothingness in your hand as it gradually appears between the hands of two gently tugging spectators. I think such an effect would need no justification beyond, "Watch as these two witnesses perform a miracle."

Sadly, the person for whom I developed the methods of execution never told me of the audience reaction to this effect. Since it has been years -- perhaps any idea of "proprietorship" is gone and I can write it up. Is it his effect or mine? His email addy no longer works. From his idea and my methods a new "silk" could emerge into the 21st Century.

Maybe I should work it up and perform at "The Ranch" if I ever get back there.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 08:52, funsway wrote:

I most profound 20th Century presentation I have ever worked on -- (crafted rather than performed) is to have the single silk slowly disolve to nothingness in your hand as it gradually appears between the hands of two gently tugging spectators. I think such an effect would need no justification beyond, "Watch as these two witnesses perform a miracle."

Sadly, the person for whom I developed the methods of execution never told me of the audience reaction to this effect. Since it has been years -- perhaps any idea of "proprietorship" is gone and I can write it up. Is it his effect or mine? His email addy no longer works. From his idea and my methods a new "silk" could emerge into the 21st Century.

Maybe I should work it up and perform at "The Ranch" if I ever get back there.

funsway,

Our feelings would be hurt if you did not come!

You are invited to attend and take part. October 5 & 6, 2012

http://magicvalleymagic.com/

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=420#5

Bob Sanders (205) 755-6882 or Bob@MagicBySander.com
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Routine for 20th century (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL