The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Deceptive Ads,Video Demos edited.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
In another thread a trick was being reviewed and one topic raised was "the demo video is an incomplete performance" Some stated that they didn't care for this as a way to promote a trick, after all go to a B&M shop you will almost always be able to see a live demo before you buy it. Now, I too get a bit annoyed and suspect when a performance video is heavily edited. Unless you need to worry about repeated viewings tipping the method. If so then just state openly "Yes this is an edited performance for the fact it could be reverse egineered from repeated viewings" I can excuse that and be less skeptical.
But if you want to sell me a trick put up a full demo. If I am going to lay out $40-$100 and up for an effect, especially through the mail, I want o see what it is I am buying, and there just not enough B&M shops anymore to visit.
Thoughts? Wouldn't you prefer as coplete as possible demo? Or the knowledge of worry over reverse engineering tehsolution? If you are a seller/creator what are other valid reasons you decide not to give us a full demo?
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
100% agree with you.
Magic is a vanishing art.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
A complete demo, and one in front of a real audience is the very best. I rarely buy when I see an edited video in front of two phony spectators on the street, although sometimes they are very stylized and at times fun to watch online they don'y get mt money.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I have discussed this with various performers and many of them think it's ok to edit a demo. The reasons are varied but they really have no problem with it. To omit, cut, or downright fake the effect for the sake of the sale all boils down to bad magic and greed (usually).
Official Thread Killer
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6011 Posts

Profile of motown
While I don't need to see the magic performed for a live audience, I do want to see the effect performed straight through without editing.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Deceptive Ads,Video Demos edited.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL