The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » One liners after I borrow a finger ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Here is a line that might work for you, but you have to set it up right. Place your wedding ring on your right index finger. When you receive her ring, compliment her on it. Then proceed to show her your wedding ring and ask her what she thinks. More often then not they will comment that it is on the wrong finger. As you place it on the correct finger you can deliver the line "That's because I married the wrong woman." It works because its not like you are delivering a standard line, you are actually replying to a correction she made.
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 14:27, magicgeorge wrote:
Hey, I thought obnoxious overalls was funny. Sorry you didn't get my joke, I'll try harder next time.

Admittedly, jokes and humor are harder to convey and are often lost when in text form.
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
Henny Youngman, Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, Jeff Ross, Andrew Dice Clay, Lisa Lampanelli are but a few who have all used insult humor very successfully. When an insult is used in an obviously funny or sarcastic way it can be very powerful particularly if followed by hesitation and a comment such as "but seriously....
Northern California
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
Your ring is actually french,did you know that? ya it says right here JC panay (penny). I got it from a Doc Eason lecture (i thought it was funny.) =)
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
JC panay - great line !
Northern California
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
LOL....you could say it's from Target....pronouncing it tarjey
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes some comics in comedy clubs use stock lines. It is usually more done by the MC. Using stock lines can get you work. Using other people's material can get you labeled...and in my days of stand up a good talking to by other comedians.

Using material geared to you and your audience ..is priceless.

Side question...

What would you do or say if someone removed their sandle or shoe and gave you their toe ring to use?

Regarding Target...I actually did have a young lady in an audience whose first name was pronounced TargAy.

Placement of jokes is as important as the type of joke used. If they "like you", they are more likely to give you more leeway anyplace in your act. Some jokes work better say 8 minutes or 37 minutes into your act.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2012-01-08 18:56, hbwolkov wrote:
Henny Youngman, Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, Jeff Ross, Andrew Dice Clay, Lisa Lampanelli are but a few who have all used insult humor very successfully.

Alain Roberts scales the world's tallest buildings without a rope but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for any of us to do it.

I agree that insult humour can be great if done well. I don't think parroting generic ring lines is doing it well. I don't even like them in a strolling situation but I can see how it might work for some. When I have seen it done I've always thought that such lines get a mixed reaction.

In a comedy clubs I think these lines are inappropriate firstly because they're unoriginal but secondly it's a very unique situation. You're asking a member of the crowd to help you out, they oblige and give you something that may well have a lot of emotional value aswell as actual value then you diss it and them. It seems to be more the actions of an unempathetic performer rather than a master if insult humour.

I like the French versions of the line a lot better, the pun takes a lot of the sting out of the situation.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Everyone did a great job on answering the original question.... Wait, I don't think the poster asked IF you should use insult lines. Good thing this isn't a real Café, can you imagine? Customer: "I'd like a coffee". Cashier: "Why? It's not good for you in my opinion". If you want to argue, start a thread called "Should I insult a borrowed ring?"

As for the poster:

Ooh, there's a place for a diamond here. (As if the set is missing.)
The inscription says to Steve. Are you sure your husband is telling you everything?
In a loud clear voice so everyone knows it's a real ring, did you just give me this ring? He/She says yes Thanks, and pocket it.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing what material is appropriate to use in what situations. If the original poster just wanted a list of gags he could've googled them or (shock horror) written some himself.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
726 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
If that was the case, we wouldn't use the magic Café at all. And there is something wrong with it, because it starts an argument and ignores the question asked. Besides, if you google it you'll get Café posts, which are full of arguing and not answering.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Are you arguing that we shouldn't argue? Good luck with that!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Gregory Wilson included (not sure if he still does) a paper insert in his Ring Leader DVD which contains many terrific lines to use when borrowing a ring. Most of them I've heard nowhere else. Many are complimentary, rather than insulting.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
This reminds me of the engagement ring I bought my fiancé... except that this one looks like it won't turn your skin green.... and the stone looks real...
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » One liners after I borrow a finger ring (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL