The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Multiple Okito Box routine, survey (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
As several of my friends here know, I contend that there is no such a thing in real life as a coin box, irrespective of the fact that it would be an Okito, a Boston, a Slot box...
My work at the boxes was to make the box credible as a pill box (put a few tic tacs in it beforehand and empty it at the beginning of your performance). This is how I came with the Okito box concept where the lid is hinged to the box itself (presented at the FFFF in 2003)

Now this acknowledges that to show something empty, the best way is to empty it but it also suppose that the coins need to become related to the box (this makes it difficult to start with a magical "out" rather than a magical "in")

Once the reality of the box is established, many of Rannie's, Tim Feher's, Milton Kort, David Roth's, Mike Gallo's, David Neighbors' ideas, effects or moves can be considered...

Now have you ever realized that, to make it look different, the box could be rectangular rather than round and in cardboard rather than metal...? What would it be then? Your guess is as good as mine...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Since it seems Okito Box routines are rarely seen, Okito Boxes are rare to see. Their uniqueness is compelling in its own way. In my circles, the only Okito Box I've seen in the last 15 years is the one I own. The average person is intrigue and fascinated by it. Just as I showed a young lady in her twenties a Kennedy Half Dollar a few days ago and she stared at it for a few minutes then took it in her hand and examined it for a few more minutes to be sure it was real. These are props we use every day that are uncommon to the general public. The magic starts before we do!

And thanks, Tim, for posting your routines. I like how you incorporate old fashioned sleights and handling with your own style. Nice way to do a S*****r V****h. Never seen it done like that before. Thanks, Feher!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4842 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
And That thay are Rare is in some what ODD! As it came from the real world! Okito's Parther ( As I hear it! ) Had a bad stomach And took pills for it!And He left his Pill box In the Office When he went to lunch.
and Okito found It( And back then it was was a cardboard box.) And was playing with it while his Parter was at Lunch! And found out that the top fit on botn sides of the box! So when his parther came back he fooled hin with it, by makeing the pills vanish from the box! He then showed him the handleing and One of them said we should get these made up in metal, and sell them as a pocket trick! So the okito coin box was born! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
A sweet discoverie.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2011-12-30 01:24, David Neighbors wrote:
And That thay are Rare is in some what ODD! As it came from the real world! Okito's Parther ( As I hear it! ) Had a bad stomach And took pills for it!And He left his Pill box In the Office When he went to lunch.
and Okito found It( And back then it was was a cardboard box.) And was playing with it while his Parter was at Lunch! And found out that the top fit on botn sides of the box! So when his parther came back he fooled hin with it, by makeing the pills vanish from the box! He then showed him the handleing and One of them said we should get these made up in metal, and sell them as a pocket trick! So the okito coin box was born! Smile

That's pretty much what I say as people inspect the box and coins. They seem to enjoy those old stories with a steam punk flavor.

I only perform with the boxes when seated so I don't get to do it as often as I would like.
Roth's "Out, In, Out with Five", and Coins through hand and Box through Hand. This uses a slot and Boston ending with a plug on the table.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4842 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea It's so cool that sometime You can just tell the truth and it sound like a great story! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8959 Posts

Profile of funsway
I find that a collapsible cup (Vest Pocket CUp for a century ago) is a great companion to the Okito Box. If you were to carry pills with you in a container you would also want a way to take them. The Cup itself can be a Chop Cup, gaffed or not. A modern version in stainless is called a Biker's Cup and hangs on a key chain clip. The inside diameter is exactly that of a Kennedy half or English Penney.

So, it can count as a "multiple Okito Box" in a sense since the Cup can be an alternative container for many effects. -- and together they "make sense" in as story. The more one thinks of a container like an Okito Box as a "Substitute hand" the more creative one can be. David has many effects using another object (purse, handkerchief, etc) as an additonal "hand" in conjunction with the Okito Box.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Excellent tie in idea with the pill cup.

Thanks to all who stir up my creativity.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
CDKconjurations
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, TN
34 Posts

Profile of CDKconjurations
Nice routines, feher! Guess I am just a little "late to the party," so to speak, since these posts are about nine years old. Anyway, just wanted to say, "cheers!," because your two posted videos really are nice workers.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I do Chad Long's Okito Reversembly, but I present it as an experiment in time travel. The Okito (Boston) box is the "Time Portal". At the climax, when the "time traveling coins" have returned to their starting place, I use the moment to swap the Boston box for a solid box, slap the lid on, slide it forward and ask someone to put the travelers back in "before the portal closes." Got 'em again.

Douglas M
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I combine a box with Kam’s The Goblet.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Multiple Okito Box routine, survey (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL