The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chink-A-Chink (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Been practicing David Roth's version of the coin trick "Chink-A-Chink." I am enjoying the hell out of practicing this particular trick. It's a great trick. However, are there more advanced and better versions of this trick? Is "Chink-A-Chink" ideal for parlor magic shows? If it is ideal for parlor magic shows, can this tricks be used for different type magic shows as well?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
There are several versions, many of which don't use coins. The original I believe, used sugar cubes. You can find a version of Malini's routine in Stars of Magic and on Johnny Thompson's DVD set. I've also seen it done with bottle caps and dice. It could work in a parlor setting If the audience is in elevated seating to the table your working on.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Tam Vo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Tam Vo
I think Chink-A-Chink works best in Close Up situation, especially if the audience is just inches away. Or what I think is pretty cool is when you do a stage performance, but have a camera zoom in on your hands and it shows up on a projector, it is a lot of fun!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-26 02:15, Tam Vo wrote:
I think Chink-A-Chink works best in Close Up situation, especially if the audience is just inches away. Or what I think is pretty cool is when you do a stage performance, but have a camera zoom in on your hands and it shows up on a projector, it is a lot of fun!

It would seem that it would be best for a close up situation, but it wouldn't be good to do it table hopping or strolling, but sitting at a table in a close up situation. It would seem that this kind of trick would be best done as part of a full fledged close up magic show (I would think in a parlor setting that maybe this could work, not sure though). You can do this trick using coins, or at least David Roth has modified it to use coins. It's a fun trick to practice.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Remotea
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Remotea
My favourite version is this one - By Whit (Pop) Haydn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vQ5H4NY84
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 02:25, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 02:15, Tam Vo wrote:

It would seem that it would be best for a close up situation, but it wouldn't be good to do it table hopping or strolling, but sitting at a table in a close up situation. It would seem that this kind of trick would be best done as part of a full fledged close up magic show (I would think in a parlor setting that maybe this could work, not sure though). You can do this trick using coins, or at least David Roth has modified it to use coins. It's a fun trick to practice.
That's a given and really shouldn't have needed to be asked.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 09:57, Remotea wrote:

Really?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 01:20, General_Magician wrote:
Been practicing David Roth's version of the coin trick "Chink-A-Chink." I am enjoying the hell out of practicing this particular trick. It's a great trick. However, are there more advanced and better versions of this trick? Is "Chink-A-Chink" ideal for parlor magic shows? If it is ideal for parlor magic shows, can this tricks be used for different type magic shows as well?

hmmm where to start on this one? Yes, with the basics - Hi GM, have you ever performed as a "paid guest" at a party with tables? As part of the evening's entertainment for a group of 100+ on a platform or stage?

If you'll go back to the Stars of Magic item (or Sachs Sleight of Hand book) you'll find that the basic barehanded assembly is well suited to situations where you are seated at the same table as your audience. The Roth item is great for when you are eating at a restaurant and would like to engage the staff and want them to clear the table after doing a first trick. Smile "and I'll do one where I don't even touch the coins if you'll make a little room on the table to set them out" and watch them go.

Scaling up micro-magic or table tricks is difficult. First you lose the physical intimacy do you need to draw them in visually (projection video works okay but...) and secondly you need to draw them into the space emotionally which is nontrivial when you are working at a distance.

Have a look at the South Park reference "Cartman's Tea Party" so you can see where you don't want to go.

Getting back to the projection video item - once you have technology in action you may as well get an animation done of the props sprouting legs or wings and mime the trick in parallel to the animation. Doing that as a sort of "exposure" segment might play well for the larger venues.

Best wishes,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Remotea
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Remotea
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 11:12, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 09:57, Remotea wrote:

Really?

Yep. Is it yours too?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Great words of wisdom, Jonathan.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I like Pop's Performance! I really do! Chink a Chink is one of those routines that is not so difficult to do... but difficult to present. Pop did a great job!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
hmmm where to start on this one? Yes, with the basics - Hi GM, have you ever performed as a "paid guest" at a party with tables? As part of the evening's entertainment for a group of 100+ on a platform or stage?

No I have not. My experience right now as far as paid gigs is limited to restaurant table hopping. Honestly, I would prefer to not have to use video to perform Chink-A-Chink. As far as parlor magic goes, is that the same thing as doing a close up performance sitting at a table? What is the difference between a parlor show and a close up show? Is there any real difference? I would assume that a close up show is a paid show for guests just like parlor magic. So what distinguishes them from each other?

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
For me, the parlor setting means the spectators are free to move about rather than trapped behind a table. This can create angle problems -- meaning that you must have a many effects in your satchel and select those appropriate to audience and setting. The chances for spectator participation is greater in parlor, e.g. you could do Whit's ring routine while many card effects would not work. Parlor assumes "no stage" and natural lighting and not mikes -- with effects that everyone in the room can see regardless of how they are seated. "Theater in the round" is close.

During a dinner gig it is possible to do table hopping and stolling "close up" -- ending with a parlor finale. Chink-a-Chink is not a parlor effect unless done on the floor with larger cups/containers ala Turkish Cups.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Sorry, but I don't think a parlor setting is as narrowly defined as what you've described.
Of course, you are free to create what ever definition you choose.
– Karl Germain
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-12-26 11:59, rannie wrote:
I like Pop's Performance! I really do! Chink a Chink is one of those routines that is not so difficult to do... but difficult to present. Pop did a great job!

His showmanship, narration and storytelling is good. I think to improve his presentation some more, adding more misdirection and some comedy to his presentation would help. The comedy could help with misdirection if used properly.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I like Pop. And I liked his routine. Great story. But I felt when the magic finally happed it was too short. Also Chink A Chink with coins seems more impossible to me, as they are FLAT objects.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 21:09, Atom3339 wrote:
I like Pop. And I liked his routine. Great story. But I felt when the magic finally happed it was too short. Also Chink A Chink with coins seems more impossible to me, as they are FLAT objects.

Hi Atom! Yeah it was short... but I can't imagine the actual magic to be any longer. I think it wasdesigned to be a quick routine. Just my opinion of course. Fred Kaps used to do this using sugar cubes. There is a clip floating somewhere. The repetative nature of the routine justifies the shortness of the routine. I have enjoyed this routine for years. Played around with many objects... from coins, candies, bottle caps... even Thumb Tips in magic club meetings (this is the cleanest... hahahaha).

What truly liked about Pop's performance was the way he engaged the audience. Pretty tough to get through a small box in a video.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Chink a Chink is a highly visual effect that is adaptable to many performing situations. You can even do it in spectators' hands! Forgive me that I am not near my magic library - it is 6000 km away from me right now Smile

S. Leo Horowitz's approach in Stars of Magic is excellent. Dean Dill has a killer version in Apocalypse called Swirl Assembly and Backfire. Frank Thompson has a cool approach in Pallbearer's Review that uses bottle caps and you are "two ahead". Ed Marlo has a Dice Matrix effect in Apocalypse that could be adapted to a handling sans cards. There are of course many more. If you have the Hit the Road DVD, watch Dill's Chink a Chink that uses four different objects; it's so beautiful and squeaky clean.

When I get back to the US, I will provide more references. That said, Chink a Chink IMHO packs small and plays HUGE.

Buon Natale,
Vlad
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I love Tom Mullica's version using bottle Caps
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 23:08, rannie wrote:
Hi Atom! Yeah it was short... but I can't imagine the actual magic to be any longer. I think it wasdesigned to be a quick routine. Just my opinion of course. Fred Kaps used to do this using sugar cubes. There is a clip floating somewhere. The repetative nature of the routine justifies the shortness of the routine. I have enjoyed this routine for years. Played around with many objects... from coins, candies, bottle caps... even Thumb Tips in magic club meetings (this is the cleanest... hahahaha).

What truly liked about Pop's performance was the way he engaged the audience. Pretty tough to get through a small box in a video.

Hi Rannie.

It seems that either the magic part is too short or the story is too long. I usually love Pop's stories, but in this case there was too little magic at the very end to support the length of the story.

My opinion, anyway.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chink-A-Chink (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL