We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chink-A-Chink (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
I agree with Jim. I try to add an interesting and entertaining patter for my effects, so I applaud him on his patter. But I do feel like it was too long for the shortness of the routine. The routine was good though.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
What book/dvd would simply explain how to do this? I can't figure out the technique behind just picking up the coins.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Sandusky, OH
996 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
As mentioned above, it can be found in Apocalypse Vol. 1, no. 1 (which is published together with the first five years as "Apocalypse 1-5"). If you would prefer a DVD, it is taught on David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy DVD set (3 DVDs). Those are probably the "simplest" places to learn it, although there are others if you read the above posts.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @PsychicCPA
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 11:12, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 09:57, Remotea wrote:
My favourite version is this one - By Whit (Pop) Haydn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vQ5H4NY84

Really?

I would second this 'really?' Lots of talking, almost no routine....
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Remotea
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Remotea
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 00:23, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 11:12, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 09:57, Remotea wrote:
My favourite version is this one - By Whit (Pop) Haydn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vQ5H4NY84

Really?

I would second this 'really?' Lots of talking, almost no routine....

Reconsider the concept of routine and you will see routine.
That is to say, Pop's routine.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Some like red wine.... some like white. The great thing is... we can all get drunk (not silly drunk) and be merry either way! Unless we want to copy Pop's routine word for word and move for move, we all don't have to agree or disagree about our preference. Audiences... even magicians, have different tastes.
It is great though to share why you like it or dislike it. After al this the topic is not abot which is best.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It's not that I don't appreciate the concept of it. I just prefer less patter and more visual magic.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Rannie,

I love most of Pop Hadyn's routines, though in most there is some magic happening all along while he patters in that fantastic drawl of his. I just don’t particlarly like the long story and very short bit of magic in his Chink-a Chink. Heck, he even did it twice at the end and it still was too little too late IMO.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Michael Ammar's take on Chink-a Chink: Shadow Coins, where he brings Chink-a-Chink to the floor and moves the coins with a bit more flair. It's a great version IMO.

Thank you.

Jim
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 11:07, Andrew Zuber wrote:
It's not that I don't appreciate the concept of it. I just prefer less patter and more visual magic.

I know Andrew! I/WE appreciate your opinions and contributions. Thanks!

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 11:32, J-Mac wrote:
Rannie,

I love most of Pop Hadyn's routines, though in most there is some magic happening all along while he patters in that fantastic drawl of his. I just don’t particlarly like the long story and very short bit of magic in his Chink-a Chink. Heck, he even did it twice at the end and it still was too little too late IMO.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Michael Ammar's take on Chink-a Chink: Shadow Coins, where he brings Chink-a-Chink to the floor and moves the coins with a bit more flair. It's a great version IMO.

Thank you.

I hear ya buddy! Cheers!
Jim

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Remotea
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Remotea
Once you have been exposed to the method for Chink-a-Chink, it's nice to have an entertaining story that can accompany it - in this regard I think Pop gets it right.

Otherwise the method can become simply routine, in the negative sense of the word.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
I feel this routine is best when it's part of a set and has a lead in by another routine, like how Roth does it. Done by itself it's not as strong IMHO. I also feel a lot of routines that claim is "better" then the original by Roth have just made too many moves, and have way too much hand crossing within the "better" versions. simple is better in this case, (really in most cases) I'm talking non gaff versions.
If done in a parlor act a big screen is a must otherwise close-up is the way to go.
Here is an example of how I perform the routine. This is just Chink a Chink no lead in routine. Notice how my hands really look to be hovering over the coins, not covering the coins. Routine is much stronger if you give the impression hovering not covering.
Just my two cents.
Tim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIbGRtajho0
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I know I have told you this before, Tim... I just love that complete turnover to palms up right before the last move! That alone sells the whole routine.

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8784 Posts

Profile of funsway
'tis our sense of awe and wonder that hovers above the coins.

This should be offered to all of those thinking of spending a lot of cash for a coin gaff.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That looks great Tim!
Kozmo opens his street act with something similar.
Surprising how quickly this gets attention.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8692 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Your 2 cents is worth a million bucks here Tim my friend. Smile.

Though I can appreciate other takes on this classic effect, for my money the way you do it is how it's done, with or without patter. The magic is so evident, not hidden or pushed way off to the side somewhere perhaps hidden beneath the reputation of a big name that can do no wrong. It's just you and the coins and truly it don't get no better than that for me. Your as good as any of them, the best of them, to me. Smile

Wonderfully done and as mentioned here your little enhancement on the effect would make Roth proud as with it you have made what he did even better IMHO. And I know David Roth is a real hero of yours...I know he would be absolutely proud to see what you do with this fine work. Smile

Anyone would be doing themselves a real service to learn this from you.

Happy New Years to all. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
My goodness that looks insanely good Tim. I watched it three times and enjoyed it more each time.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Tim,
I've seen many great magicians at Chink A Chink (including Whit Haydn, David Roth, Michael Ammar) but I disagree with you on the need for a lead into the effect. If you watch Al Schneider's take on the effect, you may change your mind in that respect.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very nice performence tim
todd
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Music was GREAT with this, Tim. I think Mr. Schneider would approve of your floating. A feel good bit of magic.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chink-A-Chink (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL