The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Worst thing about being a young magician at Xmas! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of luvisi
I've had that experience a couple of times over the years. It saddened me a little the time when it was an item that's over $30, but I usually take the time to learn the trick well enough to show it once to the person who gave it to me, which keeps me entertained for a while, and they always enjoy it. It's hard to find an audience more on your side than one who bought you a trick and hopes you like it.

Sometimes I know enough to give a passable performance upon opening it, and that's always very well received. It almost ends up feeling like working with borrowed items, even though they knew they were giving me gaffs. They also know I haven't practiced it, so they're prepared to accept patter that's not up to my usual standards. I once got the most gratifying reaction out of "I place the penny over the dime, give them a little squeeze, and the dime vanishes entirely!" In any other setting, it would have been among the most dull deliveries possible. On Christmas morning, the one day when everyone believes in magic, with a present that I had just unwrapped, it was positively enthralling!

Andru
smudgedj
View Profile
New user
Cochabamba, Bolivia
82 Posts

Profile of smudgedj
You never know though, my mother managed to buy me Body Magic by John Fisher and a few years later Pure Effect by Derren Brown. She just went in the magic shop and asked what he recommended that year!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2687 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Thousands of people in the World spent Christmas Day without water, food, warmth or shelter - and you are whinging about receiving magic as a present?

Seriously mate (and I'll put it down to your youth) be grateful FOR WHAT YOU RECEIVE......when so many others don't even have the basics in life that the majority take for granted.

If you still feel disappointed at having received something that you either dislike or could do without, may I suggest something? Sell whatever you have received on Ebay, and donate the money to a local homeless person's shelter or a charity.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
Synatics
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Synatics
It's nothing about being grateful. I am very grateful. It's that I feel bad because I can't use what I've been given which makes me feel bad. It's like getting given guilt for christmas. Has no-one else has that feeling? Really?

Merc Man Don't even bring up people who don't have water and food for Christmas that's ridiculous.. I can't help that I have food and water to survive and I am grateful for that too. It's taking the point too far.

I think the flamers haven't really understood what exactly I mean. It's not the gift givers that I'm annoyed with and I'm grateful for the effort..

What does everyone do when they get given an effect they just can't use but doesn't want to offend the person that gave it too them?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 12:47, Synatics wrote:

What does everyone do when they get given an effect they just can't use but doesn't want to offend the person that gave it too them?

Say thank you as sincerely as you can, and then keep your mouth shut.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2687 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 12:47, Synatics wrote:
I think the flamers haven't really understood what exactly I mean. It's not the gift givers that I'm annoyed with and I'm grateful for the effort..

So when people give you advice (that you obviously don't want to hear) they get termed 'flamers'. Nice.

I think the post above really says what to do..........in a nutshell.
Barry Allen

FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 10:16, Duaut wrote:
You are being ungrateful coming here whining and bit*hing like that.
You sound like a 13yr old crybaby with that post.

How is the tone of the above remotely necessary?
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Synatics
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Synatics
Quote:

Merc man - is that not flaming? It isn't advice that's for sure.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2687 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 07:33, Synatics wrote:
Quote:

Merc man - is that not flaming? It isn't advice that's for sure.

No to be honest - I wouldn't say that it is flaming.

Moreover, it could be deemed to be advice. Advice around not being so ungrateful; whilst possibly thinking twice about coming on a Magic Forum and coming across as a spoiled, ungrateful brat! Smile
Barry Allen

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27150 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 03:26, Synatics wrote:
Okay, anyone else have it that people try to buy them tricks?

It's ALWAYS something you wont use in your routine any they thought it 'looked good' when the guy at the magic store showed them -.-

I hate commercial magic people that sell bad tricks to clueless punters Smile

Think of it as them showing you what they think you'd like or perhaps what they found impressive. What they say about the items may be more valuable to you than the items.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Synatics
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Synatics
Quote:
On 2011-12-28 14:16, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 03:26, Synatics wrote:
Okay, anyone else have it that people try to buy them tricks?

It's ALWAYS something you wont use in your routine any they thought it 'looked good' when the guy at the magic store showed them -.-

I hate commercial magic people that sell bad tricks to clueless punters Smile

Think of it as them showing you what they think you'd like or perhaps what they found impressive. What they say about the items may be more valuable to you than the items.

That is very true. Thanks

Merc man, you're comments are ridiculous. Take the pledge.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 09:00, Synatics wrote:
I'm not annoyed at the people who gave me the gifts. I just feel bad because they tried and I can't really use what they got me.

Hey here is some real advice!
1. Do you have any magi friends you can trade with who might like it?
2. Was it from an actual magic shop? Do you know which one and are they cool.
3. Some places will do a trade-in if they know you well.
4. Sell it on the Café like everyone else does.
5. Hey you didn't pay for it so give it to someone who might be able to use it! No loss and you make a new friend.

As for everyone else, it's the internet. Get used to @h0les bumming your trip. No one is allowed to have an opinion on any open forum apparently. The rest of you, leave the kid alone. Geez.
Official Thread Killer
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I am thankful that the mentors in my life never chose to "leave me alone".
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I am thankful that my mentors never called me an ungrateful crybaby. How is that constructive?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 19:56, longhaired1 wrote:
I am thankful that the mentors in my life never chose to "leave me alone".

You should be. A falling out with a mentor is truly depressing.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 01:47, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I am thankful that my mentors never called me an ungrateful crybaby. How is that constructive?

It's constructive if you are being an ungrateful crybaby.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 14:26, longhaired1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-10 01:47, Andrew Zuber wrote:

It's constructive if you are being an ungrateful crybaby.

Exactly.

I'm not really sure how to define a mentor if the mentor doesn't pass on some kind of wisdom to you. But this is something for another thread in another forum.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ok, let's go with the title of the thread: Worst thing about being a young magician at Xmas.

For me, it was getting my first Zombie ball, something I really wanted, and then dropping it on a hardwood floor the first time I practiced with it. Didn't matter, as I was young enough to eventually bounce back (unlike the ball). I floated that dented ball for years.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
One can pass on wisdom without name calling. That's how my mentor operates with me and I'm grateful (and wiser) every day because of it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 02:18, Andrew Zuber wrote:
One can pass on wisdom without name calling. That's how my mentor operates with me and I'm grateful (and wiser) every day because of it.

The unmitigated snot-nosedness of the original post begged for nothing less than a verbal spanking from the assembled respondents. It's up to the recepient of the spanking to now work himself up to a level where he is deserving of the passing on of wisdom. The response was, in my opinion, appropriate given the nature of the original post.

I think we can agree that the foot stomping, "I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue" dilemna outlined in the original post can be very much characterized as a "First World Problem".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Worst thing about being a young magician at Xmas! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL