The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Misc. Dove Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Haagen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Brian Haagen
I have had my doves for two weeks now, and I have a few questions that I would like to ask of you dove workers that I am almost confident have experienced similar things. A few of them might seem REALLY dumb, but please bear with me! lol.
Feeding your doves:
I was told with feeding your doves to keep a dish in the cage, and just always keep it replenished and let them eat at their own will.
I have read over many threads here and I commonly am hearing of "when you feed the doves" and hand feeding. What do you guys recommend as for dealing with these doves?
Poop:
In the doves droppings, there is red stuff. I am guessing that this is a part of their cycle? Am i correct or is this something to worry about?
Getting them checked:
As a new dove owner, I really don't know exactly what a "healthy dove" looks like. Would you guys recommend me taking the six of them to a vet to get checked over?
Ankle Braclets:
About 1/2 of the doves I got have metal bands around their legs, and they are quite secure. I have my own more attractive bands (Dave Womach's) that I would like to put on them instead. To get these metal clips off is it likely that I am going to have to go to a vet to get them removed?
Flying into windows:
I am working in a shed that is lit only from the windows. The first time I brought a dove out it went crazy into the window. I Fixed that immediatley and put garbage bags around it. Is there a gradual way that you guys would reccomend for me so that they will get used to the windows? So that they don't have to be consistently covered up?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Most dove workers feed there doves once a day for a few hours. This way they cannot overindulge. Personally I find that if I feed them the proper quantity that they have to eat it fast before it gets eaten by the others so personally I leave the food bowl in the cage without having overly plump birds.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
You really shouldent' leave the food in the cage all the time. When you do feed them give it to them in a shallow round bowl in the bottom corner of the cage. Doves are bottom feeders and this is a natural way for them to get their food.

I never put ankle bracelets on my birds, unless they are the official ones made of metal by the fish and wild life, you have to be careful what you get. Doves will pick at them and if paint or any other chemicals of any kind that are used in the process of making them may do harm to the bird. I've also heard that as the birds grow these can cause problems with the bird's legs. I've heard many horror stories and seen this happening. If you work with your doves enough-which you should-you will get to know their personalities and be able to tell them appart without a problem and without ankel bracelets.
Be careful about them flying into windows, that's not good. Use a dark colored bed sheet to cover them up-the windows that is-...be careful of ceiling fans too, outch!

Sperris
http://www.extremedovemagic.com
http://www.dansperry.com
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5171 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Brian: I use leg bands on all my birds. You can get some good, safe, soft plastic ones at http://www.foyspigionsupplies.com. They come in a variety of sizes and colors and the color doesn't come off. I always get the larger sizes so the doves legs can grow and they go on and off quite easily so you can always give them a larger size if necessary.

Are you still stilling discolorization in their droppings? If you are, you may want to consult a vet. Look for one that handles or specializes in avian. Not all vets can work on birds. It may just have been the trauma of their new surroundings.
Basic tips are to look for clear bright eyes and alertness. A sluggish bird that just sits on the perch all the time, may need some attention. Watch for mites, lice etc. Hold the bird on it's back and spread the wings. If you see little black dots, you need to get them taken care of. Other than that, just watch your birds each day for unusual behavior. That is a good sign something is wrong.
Where the magic begins
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The Womach guy sells 6 leg bands for 7 bucks.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Brian,

If you decide to go with some leg bands, I've got some on my site, made from plastic. I haven't ever had any problems with them hurting the doves. http://www.MagicalBirds.com

Good luck!

Dave
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I do use numbered plastic leg bands on my breeding birds. Both members of a pair have the same number. The color relates to the dove's age. The leg (left or right) hopefully tells sex. I'm frequently wrong.

Things can go wrong with bands. Sometimes they get moved high up the leg and cause a problem. The other problem is that they have gotten hung in fine screen wire. That said, I've never lost a bird from either of those problems. I really think getting the right mates back together is more important. A third problem is that they can get dirty. Frankly, I have found that doves love to play in water and sand and will stay as clean as you will allow them to be. They are sort of like children. Once you get them cleaned back up, you'll decide to keep them.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Misc. Dove Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL