The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How many TT do you have? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
I have a question... do you carry more than 1 TT around? Is most routine/effect use only 1 TT right? Because I'm thinking of buying TT and some books/vid about it.

Bong
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1037 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
get the kevin james videos on the thumb tip. there the best information around. am i correct? i think one should be ok, even if you need a eclipse tip you can still do regular work with that and your eclipse work. if you are using the tip to vanish a lit cigarette then i would suggest a metal tip and a regular tip. but if not one would be just perfect.

can anyone list good resources for everything about the tip? stealing, ditching, effects, productions, vanishes, cut and restored, multiplications? any good manuscripts books, videos you know of.

is that ok i ask bong? i am sure it will help you out also.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Thanks for the info Trix. But I've never heard of an eclipse tip. what extra effect does it do?
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I have 3 TT, 1 hard TT and 2 D'lites.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Three, one for each thumb (you should see me do a thumb palm).
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Was really loving my TT until too much exposure (magic shops, TV etc). Seems everyone knows about the TT now.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6754 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Sapolice is right...too much exposure.

No more "silk in hand" vanishes for me. Sad. That was one of my favorites for more than 20 years. Now, even kids shout, "Show us your THUMB!"

However I still use one. I have six...Vernet made a short one and a long one (for 18" Japan silk), and are the standard. Then, I have two others that are the wrong color, only finding that out too late to exchange them...

My favorite? The one that came in the Deluxe D'Lite package (2 x D'Lites, a VHS tape, and a plain TT). I managed to talk a freind into giving me his, so I have two now. He didn't use a TT except to perform D'Lite, so I now have a spare.

That's the best one I have, and I don't use it to vanish anything...actually making something appear from a silk is pretty risky, but if done quickly enough, and segue directly into something else, you can still get good response.

Me?

Switching out billets, dollar bill switches (imperceptible), anything where you don't obviously "stick your thumb in" to steal it, seems to work for me. I still get a great use out of pulls, ala DeKolta, and even the Raven can vanish a silk, or what-have-you, as long as you "set it up" that way.

But that old, "point your fingers and thumb at the audience", silk vanish no longer works for me. Smile

I used to do it right in front of their noses, and it KILLED them! Once in a while, you can tell who you can pull that on. An elderly lady was just recently very amused, when I did just that. Silk into hand, GONE, both hands empty, slo-motion, and lo! It's back! She said, "...and he's in a short-sleeve shirt...gosh, he must have pockets in the skin of his hands..." Smile

How close to the truth she was...

I love the TT!

Doug
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1801 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
If the thumb tip has really been so exposed in USA, why don´t you change your thump tips to middle finger tips. Vernet makes them and you can fool even magicians with them because magicians are not so avare of them. They expect the thumb and laymen wouldn´t have a clue.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
No matter how much the TT is exposed, I'll continue to perform an effect I created using the TT and silks. In my view, if you perform the effect well, you're not at risk.

Here's a real-life experience I had. I performed the effect at a gig, it got a great reaction, and someone came up to me afterwards and told me that a friend of his performs something similiar but uses a fake thumb, and he has no idea how I did it. I found that really humorous, especially since I was still wearing the TT when he told me this.

If you're still paranoid about using a TT, consider using a sixth finger as mentioned above or a Sanada gimmick.

Larry D.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I had exactly the same experience. I smiled and thanked him, but inside I could barely suppress my laughter. I think that most people push the silk in with their first and/or second fingers, and then do one final push with the thumb, which gives the game away to anybody, conjuror or layman, who knows that TTs exist. But I use the Kick Steal, and I guess that that's what fooled him.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
How would you rate the video...

"25 Tricks with a thumbtip"
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I have two vernet soft tips for a double bill switch routine by Dan Garret... that's about all I use them for unless I want to do impromptue T&R something-small-enough-to-fit-in-a-thumb-tip.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I generally carry 1. The "Thumbs Up" brand is nice because it can colapse completely so it hides very easily when not in use. Also the vinyl ones often found with d'lites are good. D'lite also makes "flip tip" check that out it's pretty cool!!
Zaubern Smile
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I just have 1 TT.
I believe that having only 1 TT is enough and it will last you a lifetime (If treated well).
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
I don't think the exposure will hurt us much if we don't make it obvious. If you do the classis silk vanish then maybe but bill switches, ring vanishes etc etc are fine.

It's not like they actually SEE the tip, but they recognise the cheesy thumb-poke move that Dave describes.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2003-09-17 21:08, ChessMess wrote:
How would you rate the video...

"25 Tricks with a thumbtip"

I recommend the Patrick Page video on the thumb tip (and sponge balls for that matter).

He takes the Slydidni steal one step further which is a great idea to fool those that think they're "in the know".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Check out Ammar's book. It has some thumbtip material. Baically, most people won't expect it until you close your fist and start stuffin'. That move just screams Thumbtip. Try to think of other ways to put stuff in it, as scrunching it into your fist is very unnatural.
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
Speaking as someone who until *very* recently was a layman, I had never heard of a thumbtip. In fact, when I started reading threads and adverts on magic websites and saw the word 'thumbtip', I still didn't know what it was for. It was only when I saw one magic dealer's site that had a picture of a plastic hollowed out thumb with a purple silk hanging out of it that I finally twigged what it was.

Don't assume mass exposure means people will know. I saw several Penn and Teller specials where they started the show with what they called the national magic trick. They had the whole audience stuffing a silk into their hands, rubbing 'a little whiffle dust' over the clenched fist and saying 'its gone'. I still didn't see any thumb tips. Completely baffled me, hadn't a clue what had happened to the silk. Even watched in slow motion to look if they were shoving it up their sleeves or throwing it hard onto the floor.

I only figured out what they were doing when I was thinking about how to make the tt stick out less than a sore thumb (tadaa - been trying to crowbar that pun in for ages Smile Smile Smile )
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I don't put the TT in my fist and then stuff a silk into it, I stuff at the same moment I put my TT in my fist (seems more natural). Also, I steal the TT right away and continue a couple of more pokes with my index finger (throws the wiseguys off). Over exposure has not hurt me one bit and I use my TT's quite often. I have a collection of 8, all plastic and rubber with one being dark color for people with darker skin. When I used to vanish a lit cigarette, I used the Vernet (plastic) one with no problem. I have never used a metal one.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
colmac
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of colmac
I always create a “cone” to put the TT in. My favorite is to use a dollar bill. I wrap the bill around my TT in order to form a cone. Once the cone is formed I pull it off my thumb taking the TT with it. I can then put a silk or what ever into the “cone” i.e. TT. Then I place my thumb back into the cone, but not to deeply, to assist the unwrapping of the cone. As I unwrap the cone very slowly I can push the TT on futher to my thumb. At once everyone wants to inspect the dollar bill. During that time while all eyes are on the bill this gives me time to ditch the TT if I feel the necessity to do so. The patter is along the line of a “horn of plenty”.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How many TT do you have? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL