The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Latko's Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
CHEKMATE
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Very creative and well routined. But I wish he didn't make the ball stick to the light pull. It might give some observers food for thought.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Clever and as different as it was it didn't entertain me. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 21:23, Pete Biro wrote:
Clever and as different as it was it didn't entertain me.

I think that many routines suffer when there is no "patter" to guide the spectator along...
I appreciate the skill and like the creative routine; but, without a story it is hard to love....

YMMV,

-Allen M.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Yeah, I'm going to have to differ with you on this one Kent. I thought that entire routine was a mess.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Yeah,

Those silly guys at FISM, what were they thinking when they awarded him a prize?
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Very creative and lots of skill but I agree with Allen M.

David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 22:13, kentfgunn wrote:
Yeah,

Those silly guys at FISM, what were they thinking when they awarded him a prize?

I'm not a mind reader so I couldn't tell you. But what I saw, after one viewing (that's all I could take), was at least 4 or 5 mistakes. Not to mention bad, horrible loads, below the table switches that were telegraphed. I could go on and on.

There's no excuse for not correcting the pawns coming out tipped over and then fumbling with them to try and stand them up, instead of trying to right them with the hand holding the cup. While the other "free" hand, sitting there acting as a screen for the next pawn, inexcusably does nothing other than screen the load.

Carve them out of balsa wood and weight them on the base so no matter how sloppy the load, they still right themselves. A routine gimmicked to the hilt, yet that simple fix somehow was missed?

What the heck was that menu anyway? Unmotivated as far as I could tell.

A mess from the get go.

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 1:45am
Well I'm feeling guilty for being so harsh now. Still, I really don't know what the judges were thinking. Perhaps his night at Le Grand Plus wasn't a good one. We've all had those.
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Very creative ideas but too long and too repetitive. It's the type of act I can see FISM judges would like. He needs to work a bit on his loads.

BJ
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Personally I thought it was very creative and was proud to see an artist performing close-up magic that can hold its own on a big stage for a large audience.

Maybe some of you should give some thought to what goes into creating something totally original, putting it all together and then performing it in front of a large full auditorium.

It doesn't take a lot of work or creativity to sit and watch something numerous times on You Tube and then criticize and nitpick it apart.

Thank you for posting it Kent the creativity was inspiring!

Steve Carlson
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Hi Steve,

I might agree with you if this were some upstart on youtube. Instead we're talking about prime time TV and that FISM whatchamacallit. (Mr. Hallema might have had something to do with it, that would explain a lot.)

Also, I'm not sure if he held his own onstage with a close-up routine. Mind you I only saw the clip once, but I don't remember a plethora of audience reaction shots. What I did see was two camera screens that flanked his table, in order to help sell the magic to such a large crowd, I assume. Not sure if his personality "carried" that night with that audience.

Finally, I wasn't nitpicking. There were, and are, numerous major problems with the routine as it was performed that night.

I suppose it would be better to move this discussion to that part of this forum that concerns secrets. But, as I've never been there before, I feel that's unlikely.

Posted: Jan 1, 2012 11:26pm
Oh and one more thing,

One of the finest magicians alive on the planet today (if not the finest) is Eric Mead. He could work the Super Bowl at half time on a moments notice. I don't know how many awards(?) he has, but I don't think one from FISM is among them.

Capisco?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Eric:

Capisco? means "Do I understand?" not "Do you understand?" Capisco means "I understand," except when followed by a question mark. I think the word you were looking for is "Capisce?"

I saw Latko do this routine at the combined IBM-SAM convention in 2008. He didn't have as much trouble with the loads as he did at FISM.

I don't appreciate his use of the DeCamps principle for the last load, though. Eric DeCamps hasn't released that yet.

I don't understand your reference to Flip Hallema, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I posted this because I found the routine original, to my unknowing eyes. I don't even know what the DeCamps principle is. Someday maybe Bill will explain it to me, (with Mr. DeCamps permission, of course).

I've never cared particularly for loads that are done when the performer is seated. I believe Vernon stood to do the final loads. (smart guy!)

I don't have the chops to perform the cups and balls silently. I have to jabber when I perform. The Latko routine had a theme and was very involved. For me, I prefer a shorter, less involved sequence. I still enjoyed watching the Latko's routine very much. I'll never take any prizes at FISM. I try not to compare what I do to other magicians. I've a particular fondness for the cups and balls and love to watch others do the trick as they conceive it.

I can commiserate with his having some small problems during the routine. He soldiered on and got through it all. With the length of that routine, it was no small feat.

To all that perform this venerable classic in an any way they choose I tip my hat.
Kent

PS. Didn't get the random use of Italian myself. I had tons of Latin as a kid and hung out with Italian kids in the neighborhood. I've only heard a form of that verb used in Italian, and only as an interrogative/imperative.
Bill, with minor web searching, I think this is right, in Italian.

o capisco (I understand)
tu capisci (you understand)
lui capisce (he, she, it understands)

When used as an imperative, the pronoun is left understood, and the last vowel is left off. I think those who write movie dialog might have let us all astray.

Si?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2011-12-27 23:09, Eric Evans wrote:

What the heck was that menu anyway? Unmotivated as far as I could tell.

It's hard to tell on YouTube, but it was an instruction booklet on how to do the Cups and Balls. Using that ties in the cup routine with what looked to me like aluminum Morrissey cups ( a class of cup that would need an instruction booklet for beginners) but it doesn't explain the weird change to chess pieces.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bazar de Magia.

The routine didn't make any sense in 2008, either.

@Kent
Quote:
o capisco (I understand)
tu capisci (you understand)
lui capisce (he, she, it understands)

io capisco. In polite form, the third person is used in place of the familiar second person form tu. And of course, Eric would not be anything but polite.

Verstehen Sie?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1636 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Je ne comprends rien.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Man, that was a tedious routine to watch. I couldn't get through it all, without the overwhelming urge to close the browser tab.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
On the other hand, I found a trick that Latko does that I do like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI2bGtFKLWU
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-01-02 14:16, Eric Evans wrote:
On the other hand, I found a trick that Latko does that I do like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI2bGtFKLWU

I wonder if he learned it from the same guy that Jeff McBride learned it from. Latko seems much too young to be the guy McBride learned it from.

That is a nice routine, but I still prefer to watch McBride perform it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Latko's Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL