The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Jennings auction... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Then ask him if you can return it.

The only bad lot I got from Gabe was a set of cups I bought from him on eBay. They were a set of silver plated, non-hallmarked P&L cups from the Zarrow collection. When they arrived, there was some very unusual damage. This was the ONLY damaged lot I EVER got from them that was damaged due to packaging.

I photographed it and showed him the damage. He was appalled. I returned them and he repaired them. They are in excellent condition now. I don't think anyone could tell which cup had been damaged.

I would suggest that you photograph the lota from all sides, as well as the top and the bottom, and indicate exactly where the damage is. Then send him the photos.

BTW, the other damaged lot I purchased from Potter and Potter was a set of cups that were used by Harlan Tarbell. They were the big flowerpots with the load chamber. I knew when I bought them that they were cracked. It didn't matter, because they were the only set of their kind. So I knew what I was getting when I got them.

As far as the dating of the lota is concerned, your personal knowledge told you that the date was probably conjectural. That date is basically in the middle of the production run. I knew that the "spun Joe Porper cups" were not by Porper, but by Harry Stanley. I bid on them and got them. I used my own knowledge to override the information in the catalog.

I have NEVER seen ANY auction in which all of the lots were listed with 100% accuracy. Not Martinka, not Bloomsbury, not Swann, not Potter and Potter. The closest have been Kenna Thompson and John Mendoza. And even then, with their expertise, sometimes they make mistakes.

Rather than argue with me over the FACT that you did not take advantage of all of the information that was on the internet about this item -- i.e. the on-line digital catalog, and that you did not let your knowledge of P&L production override what you saw on the listing, I would suggest that you take your complaint directly back to Gabe and see what he does. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Or not.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Might be less likely to help since his name has been dragged through the mud first.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1416 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Geeze Bill why are not focusing on the reality of the situation.

I ASKED nd was TOLD no dents. You keep saying there was a digial catalog . Why do I care? I went to the the auction page. Bill are you telling me there were better details on the bowl and a better photo, and a explaination of the damage that was not on the bidding page? You cant be saying that.

How can you say I did not use all my resources when I contacted someone listed as an EXPERT.
Yes, Lint and Bill I contacted them as soon as I opened up the package. I was told I could return it at my cost. I do not think I should have to pay the shipping of when it was sent to me and my return. I have not gotten a repsonse back as to the shipping.

I questioned the date and they came back stating I was correct, no way to know the date. But did they change the date or put a date range in the auction? NO. this is misleading, picking the oldest date as the circa. Just do not put any date at all.

From what Bill has said, Auction houses are not reliable in their accuracy so I have no idea why he saying I am the one in the wrong. Potter and Potter should be embarassed. They misrepresented a product. They took it one step further and when I used all the resources avaiable, misrepresented the product.
I shared this expereience . Lint, just becuase they take it back does not make their actions justiable. why does taking the bowl back , excuse them saying it was not dented when it was?

Bill, I would agree with yoru statements if I did not ask and have my questions answered tha there were no dents. But since they answered as they did I do not see how this is excpetible behavior. He did said what he said, there is no name dragging, Facts are Facts.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2127 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Power,
you were offered the chance to return the item, and chose to keep the item due to shipping
charges you may incur. Either return the piece and get your $ back or keep it and move on.

You also keep repeating you have been lied to. They made a mistake in the cond. of
the piece you have. But again, you were offered a refund if you sent the piece back.
Are you trying to get something for nothing out of this? There was a mistake made,
plain and simple since they have offered to refund you if you send it back.

There is no reason to drag Gabe's name on an open forum, you also should have started a new
thread and not hijacked this one.

I've dealt with Gabe and other auctioneers over the years. Sounds like they offered you a solution
to the problem, but you are not happy with it.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1416 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I am sorry, I thought this was an auction about the Jennings Auction, That is what the title states.
What do you mean I want something for nothing? I do not want to pay for a bowl I do not want because it has dents when I was told it did not,
Can you explain to me how I am wrong? Yes I am not happy. I should not have to pay to send it back.
I do not think they made a MISTAKE. A mistake is "Oh I missed that one spot. But in this case there are over 5 dents of various sizes two impossible to miss but easy to not photograpsh.
So why should I pay $20, loosing money out of my pocket ,to return something they misreprsented? I am honestly asking why you feel this is fair?
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Send it back for a refund or live with the dents. It will not cost $20 to return it - even with sig confirmation. You are going to get an ulcer over this. It is not worth it. It will not be the first nor last time you get lied to. That's life. If you feel wronged, do no more business with them or get it in writing that all shipping costs, premiums, etc. will be refunded if item does not arrive as described. This is business. Act like a businessman not a crybaby. Why did you come here crying in the first place? A real businessman would have called Gabe to work things out not gone to a forum.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
This all seems to be more about creating as much "drama" as possible rather than getting ones money back.

"buyer beware" has extra relevance at an auction.........and applies to everybody.

Regardless, the seller has offered to refund the money, and the buyer has refused to return the item...........thus prolonging the apparently desired drama.

There doesn't seem to be much more to say, or listen to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Jennings auction... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL