The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Salt Pour Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
I've been working on the Benson salt pour, and thinking about the eternal problem of ditching the gimmick.

How about this? Pour the "magic dust" into a dove pan. Finish the pour, make Benson's "open hand" gesture, go into left pocket for flash paper, and right pocket for a lighter. Light the paper in the pan, put down the lid, and transform the dust into something. (Or just ditch behind the lid while reaching for it?)

What do you think? Too obvious a ditch? I think it gives a reason to be pouring in the first place - to effect a transformation.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't think your idea is good because you want to take away from the climax of the Long Salt Pour. Doing so will kill the audience reaction as to what they have just witnessed.

I think you should purchase the Levent gimmick and the DVD that comes with it, this will give several ideas.

Also the long salt pour is best done with a container that is low, about knee height.

I suggest you get this dump box and line it with a trash can liner to collect the salt.
http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/products....../page/2/ scroll to last item on the page.

Uday use to make a cardboard one, but I do not think it is available any longer. This one is made out of metal and is much better.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Heres an idea I came up with that I am very reluctant to give up on an open forum. Have a handkerchief of contrasting color hanging over the front of the receptacle your using to catch the salt, preferably something like the one wmhegbli recommended. Once you reach the end of your pour finish with Benson's empty hand flourish and on the down stroke under cover of picking up the handkerchief drop the gimmick into the box, wipe hands clean to finish. I hope it's obvious that the box should be opaque and padded so as to avoid any "talking."

If I may say so myself, this ditch of the gimmick is absolutely brilliant. By simulating the hand to be empty and picking up an already visible object the ditch will go by completely unnoticed.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
It goes unnoticed because the audience is not aware of a gimmick in the first place. If you really did pour eternal salt from your hand, you won't be holding anything. That's why I think your idea is pretty good. Like The Great Hegblini said, as long as you don't add another effect to it to take away from the long pour that's the main gripe.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tsolo, I can understand you do not understand the power of this effect on a lay audience. I can only tell you my experience, and it was awesome. The audience broke out in spontaneous applause twice during the routine and then at the finish I received a stand ovation.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2011-12-29 19:47, mtpascoe wrote:
It goes unnoticed because the audience is not aware of a gimmick in the first place.

There's another good point.
tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
Hegblini, you're right. Shouldn't cancel out one effect with another (a much more common one at that). And thank you for giving me something to look forward to - audience reaction. I have never seen this effect performed live, and it's great to hear that it gets such a strong response.

As for the Levent package: I am following his analysis in "Benson by Starlight". Wonderful stuff. But I am not going to invest in his gimmick, because I have minuscule hands (I wear child-size gloves). I've created my own gimmick that I am very happy about - fits the dimensions of my hands, and pours for an eternity.

Mac_Stone: Thanks for sharing your idea. Someone who used to do this effect told me he would ditch into the container on the downstroke, though in a different way. Relied on the speed and continuity of the motion. But the hank is a nice touch! (Don't worry - I remain in pursuit of my own solution.)
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
If you must ditch just do so as you reach for a napkin to wipe your hand off with.
Official Thread Killer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Salt Pour Idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL