The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Religious Wrong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
629 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
My recent return to magic resulted in me digging through boxes that have been moved three times without being opened. One of the things I found from the late 80s were the plans for my dream production show. Before detailing them, I need to explain a few things: First, I was still pursuing a dream of scenic design and these plans were for the second act of a full blown, large cast, full set stage show. Second, my screen name here were the magic words from my club act with the audience chanting "That's just wrong!!!" and, for the most part, things were. I've never been a kid's magician and never had a budget for my 'dream show' but it was sure fun drafting up the plans.

The production was, in brief, the Passion of Christ (yes, that's just wrong!). 40 lashes, crown of thorns, a heavy cross that three audience members couldn't lift, soldiers gambling for the robe, a torn and restored robe, spikes through the hands and feet, vanishing from the cross, appearing in an empty tomb, a levitation... everything but a tiger. The funny thing was, I had a ball designing the show but knew someone else would have to be the star. I've always been heavy and nobody wants to see a fat savior in a speedo.

Fun to revisit. You may revile me now! Smile
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
That's just wrong.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ricardini24
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Ricardini24
Wrong....are you kidding? That was the hook, the unique selling point, imagine yourself on a Vegas billboard in said speedo, granted anybody with an ounce of religious belief about them might not have been as enthusiastic but, hey, you can't please everyone.

In all seriousness though thanks for sharing, that is a great story (and no shabby idea either).

Richie.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
Perhaps you can wipe icecream onto the face of the Amish while you're at it. You can feel brave and while feeling safe that there won't be violent retaliation.
Jason Johnson
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
50 Posts

Profile of Jason Johnson
As a Christian, I applaud any means necessary to show the gospel (good news) of Christ, as long as this is not a satire. No speedos please. No one wants to see a magician in a speedo period.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I was in Godspell. The director put the setting in a modern day coffee shop.
As I recall in Jesus Christ Superstar (play or movie) They put the actor playing Jesus in a Superman T-Shirt.

Aside...when I was in Godspell, I had to teach the actor playing Jesus the correct pronounciation of the Hebrew prayers.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2012-03-20 19:04, Harris wrote:
As I recall in Jesus Christ Superstar (play or movie) They put the actor playing Jesus in a Superman T-Shirt.

Harris

I think it was Godspell where Jesus wore the Superman shirt...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Don't know if this would play well in Vegas (sin town) but it would definitely play well in Branson, Mo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Religious Wrong (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL