The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HBO's Carnival (your thoughts) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Did anyone see this last night? Just wanted to start a thread and get your feelings about the series.

I enjoyed it. I especially liked the opening title sequence. Very Terry Gilliam with a modern touch.
I don't know if the series is going to be another Sopranos but I'll give it a few weeks.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I too enjoyed it and have high hopes for it. Very nice setup with great possibilities. I will be watching it again next week.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
I'm not familiar with Carnival but it sounds pretty interesting. Can you elaborate on it?
..::damienfell::..
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Here is a link for more info:

http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image

They even have custom Tarot Cards! Talk about ca$hing in!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Man, I wish I had HBO. I'll have to wait a year or so before they release the whole season on DVD.

*sigh*
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I liked it a lot. The set up was interesting with the minister and jack and the dreams...like what is to come? or was?
Also--what do you think was when he healed the girl, all that browness the earth and plants became?
Weird.
Anyway--anything carnival/sideshow-like--I'm there!

Ellen
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Thanks zeroG
..::damienfell::..
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I thought this was a GREAT show! Although it won't have mass appeal like the Supranos. People can only handle so much odd or bizzarre things. I pray it gets a 'cult' following so it doesn't get cancelled.

Chad
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
That's the whole point though--no matter who people are--many have a curiosity for the weird, bizarre and unknown. It's TABOO--but people WANT to know.
Look at 6 feet under--VERY popular--and it's about a funeral home--not many people like seeing them or hearing stories about them. Freaks and human oddities are another. Let's see how this one goes!

Ellen
Mina
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Mina
Quote:
On 2003-09-17 11:17, Firedice27 wrote:
Man, I wish I had HBO. I'll have to wait a year or so before they release the whole season on DVD.

*sigh*

Firedice27...I have some good news! If you are like me and you do not get HBO... Carnivale can be viewed on TMN (The Movie Network) On Tuesday nights... I m not sure of the time though...I ll check it out and get back to you if you are intersted Smile
Quote:
On 2003-09-18 13:44, Chad Sanborn wrote:
I thought this was a GREAT show! Although it won't have mass appeal like the Supranos. People can only handle so much odd or bizzarre things. I pray it gets a 'cult' following so it doesn't get cancelled.

Chad

Well speak for yourself Mr Smile I can handle a whole lotta freakyness and bizarre! But maybe that's just me Smile

Speaking of things freaky and bizzare...If you are lucky enough to live in Toronto On Oct 22 Carnival Diablo will be perfoming. For those of you who enjoy The strange and wonderful like I do...It is a must see. For more Info check out http://www.carnivaldiablo.com

I hope everyone enjoys The Carnivale

Mina
OMG Did someone say Richard Sanders!?
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Here’s my first impression of “Carnivale.” I am probably the least qualified person to be a critic, but I think, if they keep it at the same level, it’s a winner! I was surprised at the intensity, and the feeling of reality at the beginning, and was led into the story almost hypnotically. The period was close enough to my own to let me relate to it. When a story grows slowly, usually it loses me, but the underplayed events kept me hooked. The old carnivals always seemed to have a dark underside, real or imagined, and the story uses that to it’s best advantage. I had the advantage of having a perfectly edited copy, sent to me by a friend, (I don’t have HBO) and I am grateful.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Well I just can't win! I don't have TMN either!

But thanks for the link to Carnival Diablo, Mina. This looks incredible! We need something like this in Chicago.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I watched this show last night at a friend's house (I don't have HBO either) and I thought it was very interesting and weird. I would love to see more and I agree I don't think it'll be super famous. I hope to watch it again soon.

Anabelle Smile
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
I have not missed a broadcast yet. My dad who I never met (divorced before I was born), was a lifetime Carny
and my mom, well she had to move on to a normal life.

So what I'm picking up or figuring out is, the young guy they picked up has good powers (healing) and the Rev, is the evil one? But the show is doing a good job of taking you along for the ride and slowly showing you what is going on.

I believe the young guy's dad, is the management the
midget talks about, and originally had the powers that were passed on to his son, if you caught the part where the son was told his mother was dead (as far as the Carnies knew).

Ed
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2003-09-22 10:57, ELS wrote:
So what I'm picking up or figuring out is, the young guy they picked up has good powers (healing) and the Rev, is the evil one?

I believe the young guy's dad, is the management the
midget talks about, and originally had the powers that were passed on to his son, if you caught the part where the son was told his mother was dead (as far as the Carnies knew).
Ed

They said his dad was the "gentleman geek" so I do not believe he is management. I do think the two soldiers are the previous generation's "light" and "dark."

As for who is "good" and who isn't, it is interesting to see (and see more later) the "price" of Ben's gift.

s
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Let's get philosophical!
Actually I thought he buried his mom at the beginning. Do you mean that new pic was his mom before she died? Also--how did Appolonia get up and walk without him touching her?
Where did that mysterious trailor come from (baggage car?)
And--the boss (does he live in samson's trailer?)
Also "he's a roux?" What's a roux?

I love this show--but it's so deeply woven. It will be great (it is now!)

I agree about the 2 soldiers--light and dark.

Also--here's a question for carny folk who know or have an opinion. Aren't these actors a little too "hollywood" for hard-workin distraught carnies and "freaks"?
http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/cast/index.shtml

Ellen
Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I don't see the actors as being too hollywood. They (mostly) look as we did in the forties and fifties. That's one of the things I like about the show.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
I watched it last night. Ahhhhhhh I don't know. I think when a series has that many things that don't make sense, then you're going to loose your audience. It's like nothing makes sense so far. There's nothing big to focus on, just a lot of little stupid things that make you say "huh"? Try to describe what happened to a friend who hasn't seen it. You can't because nothing's logical. I think I've probably watched my last show. Smile Smile Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
HAve you ever read Catch 22? Literally nothing comes together until the last page! It was a classic! You have a right to demand simplicity, but I think life is more..
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
See, and me, I prefer all the dark undertones, the layered story and the confusing twists. It's what will keep me tuning in. I think enough information has been given to begin forming beliefs (although I don't necessarily believe those beliefs will be proven accurate...)

I, actually, didn't think that Apollonia's walking was a result of his healing powers...I don't really know how to explain how I percieve that particular incident. I am expecting, however, that at some point he does try and use those powers with her (I mean, why else is she dogging her daughter about getting him back in the trailer?)
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HBO's Carnival (your thoughts) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL