The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HBO's Carnival (your thoughts) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mina
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Mina
All I can say is I cant wait to see the next episode!!!!

Mina
OMG Did someone say Richard Sanders!?
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
376 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2003-09-23 00:11, sanscan wrote:
HAve you ever read Catch 22? Literally nothing comes together until the last page! It was a classic! You have a right to demand simplicity, but I think life is more..
Slim

Not simplicity, just something that's sensible! Smile
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
Quote:
On 2003-09-22 16:54, Ellen wrote:
Let's get philosophical!
Actually I thought he buried his mom at the beginning. Do you mean that new pic was his mom before she died? Also--how did Appolonia get up and walk without him touching her?
Where did that mysterious trailor come from (baggage car?)
And--the boss (does he live in samson's trailer?)
Also "he's a roux?" What's a roux?

I love this show--but it's so deeply woven. It will be great (it is now!)

I agree about the 2 soldiers--light and dark.

Also--here's a question for carny folk who know or have an opinion. Aren't these actors a little too "hollywood" for hard-workin distraught carnies and "freaks"?
http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/cast/index.shtml

Ellen
Smile

Hi Ellen,
If I'm guessing right (as I spent 10 yrs pro-wrestling with it's own way of lingo), I see a roux as being someone not knowing the business or is new. We'd say or yell Ka-Feh when someone walked in the dressing room that was a mark. Ka-Feh meaning careful / shut up.

The kid did bury his mother, but how did the management know to show up when the kid was digging the hole? The photo was an old photo of the mother that the kid found in the baggage car, the baggage car was like 'a ghost' type of thing that only the kid, was ment to see, it used to be his fathers (the clothing, the photo etc..).

Appolonia knows of this kids powers, if you remember she walked toward him all crippled up (if she could make or will things to fly in the trailer, willing her self to walk, to be cured by him shold be easy), once she touched him, she fell limp in his arms (no longer stiff and crippled).

I still say we will find the boss being the kids father, and the father had the powers also and that's why the kids mother was still alive (remember the kid was told that the woman died and was the geeks wife). More then likely the father healed her but put her were no one would know or find out.

Also I feel that's why the kid is allowed to stay on and management wants him to, for the fact management is his father (who was the geek and dissapeared, and yet it seems only a select few know who management / boss is or seen him).

But it would not surprise me if it's (the boos), a head in a bottle. As we did see the baby in the bottle 'open it's eyes', as the kid walked out the door. Smile

And in reality - carnival people enjoy the life, to them it's enjoyable (facts from my mother), for you and me we would be hard-workin distraught carnies. Plus freaks were taken pretty good care of back then and respected by management who gave them respect, it was society that treated them as freaks, so the freaks cashed in on it.

Ed Smile
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I'll take your word Slim, about them looking genuine since you know. Maybe I mean not what they are wearing--and the set-(being period 30's)-I guess they didn't seem "worn" enough maybe for traveling and just doing what they do. Even the dirt on them looks clean.

So--Ed, you mean the pickled punk might be the "boss"?

I really enjoy this show.

Ellen
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Ellen, 1934 was a bit early for me, I started with the shows about 1949, but I can tell you that then, a place to do laundry and take some sort of a bath was the first priority on a lot. (It might just be a spigot in some places) While the life was rough, it was a life where no one really thought we were working, it was just life. You might like to read the stories here...
http://www.knddesign.com/sc/home.html
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
From what I've read, for the 'freaks' it was really the only way to make money. Either that or be hidden away.
Anyhow, I personaly like a story to be layered with twists. The little things will add up and in the end, may well surprise us. If it was spelled out, like to many stories are, it would lose a lot. Do people really want the story dumbed down so you don't have to think about it? Smile

Jennieprice
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Thanks for the link slim--I will read your stories--I see you have quite a few under the good old days...

Can't wait!

Ellen
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I'm not the only one with stories there, either... I just wish more of the old stories would come to light. There are several there, written better than mine... Just for data, my mother was a palm-reader in the days of "Carnivale.
Slim Smile
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I still have to see the first one. (no HBO Smile )

Hey Mina, can I come over and watch it at your house? (I get none of the good channels)
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
A small correction. The term isn't roux, it's "rube."

http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/WYAN4220/myc.......htm#P-S

A disrepectful term for townies, the locals.

I'm also enjoying the show and particularly for the presence of Michael Anderson who brings a great "center" to the show.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
It's getting good!!! Anybody see last night's?
I knew it was his dad--or so we think. Also--that explains with the wheat turning brown after he healed the girl.

Can't wait for the next.

Ellen
Mina
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Mina
Hey James!!

You wanna come over at watch Carnivale at my place....Hummm I don t know....Let me think about it a second...................................
Ahh what the heck, sure come over, You bring the corn dogs and candy apples and I'll make sure we have the channel in clear and the Cotton Candy!!!! Bring on The Carnivale

The Countessa

Smile
OMG Did someone say Richard Sanders!?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » HBO's Carnival (your thoughts) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL