The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Carrying too large objects in your side pockets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sander
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sander
Hello,

Since I like to make things easy for myself, when I'm doing magic I'm just wearing a nice jacket where I keep my stuff in. Problem is that some object are too big for my side pockets. You can see them from a distance and the pockets are getting out of shape (don't know how to call it but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying).

These objects include a billiard ball (that I produce from a wallet and gets great reactions) en my cup and balls routine with loads.

How should I solve this, just make up a routine with smaller cups ? and skip the billiard ball trick ? Or is there some way I carry it on my body or clothing from the inside? I hate to carry suitcases or bags.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You could use holders or droppers that attach to your belt or hang on your person, rather than using a jacket pocket. A type of shoulder holster may work. Your jacket will drape better. Here are some ideas: http://www.hcmagic.com/products.html I use small cups when strolling and larger ones for standup shows.

Bob King had a solution. He used a portfolio, with a velcro clasp. When he opened it, it had a close-up pad on one side, the other side folded under it and the velcro flap hung over the table edge, housing a pocket where the stuff was kept.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I sewed side pockets along both side seams in several jackets. I also have belt-clip holders that make me look like Batman (except no one sees them)

see if you can find a copy of "It's Easier then you think" Buckingham (sp)
ASCII
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of ASCII
I like to use a sleeveload with my billiard ball production.
I keep the ball in my inside breast pocket (which hides the bulge well)then when I'm ready I load it into my sleeve.
What I normally use this for is a version of Apollo Robbins 8 ball trick (cant remember the name of it)
but instead of holding out the 8ball the whole time, I keep it in my sleeve so I can cleanly show the cards,
then at the right moment I can lower my arm and load the 8ball under the the packet of cards in my hand then do the production as normal.

I also use a ball holder in my jacket
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22825 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-12-31 07:03, Sander wrote:
Hello,

Since I like to make things easy for myself, when I'm doing magic I'm just wearing a nice jacket where I keep my stuff in. Problem is that some object are too big for my side pockets. You can see them from a distance and the pockets are getting out of shape (don't know how to call it but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying).

These objects include a billiard ball (that I produce from a wallet and gets great reactions) en my cup and balls routine with loads.

How should I solve this, just make up a routine with smaller cups ? and skip the billiard ball trick ? Or is there some way I carry it on my body or clothing from the inside? I hate to carry suitcases or bags.

Contact Bob Sanders here on the Café, he has a very nice holder/dropper, he calls an egg dropper, but it can be used for balls as well and is adustable.
Sander
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sander
Thanks for the reactions, a fellow magician came up with the idea of having a tailor work on the side pockets: he should make them so, that the pockets wear the content on the inside of the jacket rather than the outside, making some kind of bag of it. Jay, that is probably also what you meant in your comment?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yes, the pockets are strategically placed and are small enough so I don't fish around. The openings are along the side hem. When using them my arms hang down naturally. People who follow my hand, down to the side, never catch-on because the other hand distracts them while I dump something so they momentarily are misdirected and that's when the real work happens. Did I mention that my jackets are long. You probably need long jackets to use this type of pocket..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Carrying too large objects in your side pockets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL