The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Do you consider David Blaine a bizarrist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The stuff he does, does border on being bizarre...

I personally think he qualifies...

Do you?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I do think that he is bizarre alright. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
I don't mean to put a lable on bizarrist, but story-telling is a very important part of their art. So this being said my oppinion would be that David Copperfield is more of a bizarrist than David Blain. If there was more build up and a story that added meaning to D.B. pulling his heart out of his chest, I would consider it.
Or the short answer: no.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I agree with zeroG, the storytelling approach is an important factor in bizarre magic. Definitively, not.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Unlike ZeroG, I don't think that all bizarre magick is verbally oriented storytelling magic. In my mind, it is character-based performance that seeks not to generally amuse, but to hit people on an emotional level. And this, I believe Blaine often accomplishes.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Definitely a bizarrist, in my opinion... In that people are coming to the conclusion that he can genuinely perform the effects he does.

In my opinion,

Liam
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Interesting question, Pakar, and I think the answer lies depends on how you define the term 'bizarrist'.

Although I generally work at the story-telling end of the spectrum, I agree with Neil that 'character based performances, that seek not to generally amuse, but to hit people on an emotional level' must also be considered bizarre magic. I also recognise, along with montz, that much bizarre magic seems unnervingly real; that at its heart can lurk a delicious, disturbing ambiguity.

So yep. I do think of Blaine as a bizarrist. And, unlike some magicians, I enjoy his work very much.

However, I don't think the snappy TV format that he works in particularly suits bizarre magic, but then dwindling audience attention spans are the bane of all bizarrists. And, I'd like to see him expand the range of his material, and, occasionally, be a bit more innovative.

But do I wish I had just a fraction of the following: his weird charisma; his powerfully unnerving presence; his keen eye for publicity stunts?

You betcha!

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ah... I see... Thanks for your opinions everyone...

Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Some of what he does is for sure bizarre in my opinion.

Anabelle Smile
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
I'll have to agree with montz on this. The first time I saw David Blaine he certainly had me questioning what I had seen.
..::damienfell::..
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I think Blaine is a magician who does not know what he wants to be. One minute he is doing "String From Stomach" the next he is doing some "Endurance Test", and the next minute he is doing "Cig Through Quarter" and "pick a card and I will find it effects". Acting like a stoned freak and doing card tricks does not make you a bizarrist. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
dpe666 wrote...

"Acting like a stoned freak and doing card tricks does not make you a bizarrist."

Well, if THAT doesn't qualify as being "bizarre" then I don't know what does! Smile

Well... to each his own...

Smile
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Dpe666 I think it took David a while to 'find' himself. He did the regular 'pick a card' effects on his first special as well as the 'cig-thru-coin'. I think he did the string from stomach on his second special and by the last two specials the card tricks had nearly dissapeared. I think in Vertigo he didn't do any card or coin stuff.

When David first came out I wasn't a big fan, but after hearing so many 'lay-people' talk about him as if he was supernatural, and have my friends ask me if he did real magic I began to change my mind. I hadn't heard people talk about magic in such awed tones since Geller's early days. Also after meeting him a few times and chatting with him I feel he is a nice guy who genuinley loves magic.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
I think he is figuring out an identity. He is 'bizarre' in my book--freaky at the most..but not BIZARRE in magic. I think his choice of "tricks" or stunts can be considered a whole new category. Perhaps "crazy stunt magician" or who knows.

Anyway--I don't think he is in the same category as BIZARRE magic. Smile

Ellen
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I am not a big fan of the terms we use to describe the various types of magic done today. Bizarre, Mentalism, Mental Magic, Stage Magic, Illusions, Parlor Magic,etc... They all have the same roots and all showcase things that are outside the known laws of physics.

The one thing that really seperates how the effects are percieved, are the performers who display them.

We as magicians,(mentalists, bizarrists, etc.) seperate the effects into categories and convey those categories to our audiences. It is us who set boundaries as to what effect fits into what category. And it is us who make it a point to keep those categories seperate.

I think that part of David's appeal is that he is able to mix the categories and blurr the lines of what we would call 'magic and mentalism'.

I think what Hackmonkey said about laypeople thinking he was supernatural only emphasizes this point. He does not define himself as a magician, mentalist, bizarrist, and as a result, does not define what category his effects fit into. Thus giving him an enviable position to pick and choose from ALL of them.

Something to think about.

Chad
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I must say, the diamond up the nose and out the eye trick was quite well done. I do this trick with watermelon seeds, airsoft gun bullets, and other small things, but I don't know how he did it with a borrowed diamond.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I have to agree with you there Chad... Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, he describes HIMSELF as a PERFORMANCE ARTIST.

That qualifies as bizarre, but I'm not sure it fits into the generally accepted definition that we, as magicians, have of a bizarrist.

But I remember someone doing a really strange routine with a fish and three hands at an Invocational many years ago. It was bizarre, but not occult in orientation - and it was a SILENT act, done to music, IIRC.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I don't know if Blaine quite qualifies as a bizarrist.

But I would certainly say that his fans are bizarre!
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2003-09-15 16:42, Caleb Strange wrote:
Interesting question, Pakar, and I think the answer lies depends on how you define the term 'bizarrist'.
Although I generally work at the story-telling end of the spectrum, I agree with Neil that 'character based performances, that seek not to generally amuse, but to hit people on an emotional level' must also be considered bizarre magic. I also recognise, along with montz, that much bizarre magic seems unnervingly real; that at its heart can lurk a delicious, disturbing ambiguity.
So yep. I do think of Blaine as a bizarrist. And, unlike some magicians, I enjoy his work very much.
However, I don't think the snappy TV format that he works in particularly suits bizarre magic, but then dwindling audience attention spans are the bane of all bizarrists. And, I'd like to see him expand the range of his material, and, occasionally, be a bit more innovative.

But do I wish I had just a fraction of the following: his weird charisma; his powerfully unnerving presence; his keen eye for publicity stunts?

You betcha!

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

Caleb
You are spot on
Forum members can quite rightly argue if he is 'Bizarre' or not.
His audiences know he is
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Do you consider David Blaine a bizarrist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL