The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bill Abbott (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Bill Abbott advertised Michael Ross (Spots). I just can't wait to get my hands on one.
Michael Ross is one of Canada's top notch entertainer and magician in Canada.
Bill has a knack fo come up with these gems. The (STING) was my best buy last year.
Tricky Ricky
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
It does look interesting although I still get great mileage out of the wonderful Merlin's Spot card routine also from Bill Abbott.
I wish he would hire someone else to help get his projects out though.When it say's 'Coming Soon' on his website it usually means 6 months
to a year away!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
This is Merlin's Spot card routine again! Merlin's Classic workers came out about 6 years ago and contained this and lots more.
Great Value for money.
I think Ricky you should put out something with Bill Abbott!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I like the fact that Bill Abbott takes so long to put out a new product. Usually means quality and attention to detail.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I read the description and it doesn't seem any different than a standard spot card routine. They give you the option of buying just the routine if you already have the spot card, which is what I would do, but that comes out to $65 including a whopping $15 for shipping. Is there anything different in the routine that warrants that high of a price?
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Matthew Johnson has an excellent routine for Whats Next called C'ing Spots..$10 download on his website. You're welcome Matthew! LOL!
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
The routine can be done surrounded and has a pretty good script so in my humble opinion that would make it worth a high price.
But that is if it had not come out before on the Merlin's 'Classic Workers' dvd set some years ago.
At the very least this could have contained a bonus routine from Merlin [Michael Ross] that had not come out before.
I agree with Ricky,he is a fantastic performer and has a lot to give.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I certainly will get Spots.
Just want to say hi to my good friend and wonderful children entertainer Harv. A customer told me last year how they enjoyed his performance and they should know.
Lets get back to Bill Abbott and Merlin (Spots). I can see how I could get lots of mileage out of this one with the kids.
Michael Ross (Merlin)uses the top-it like no one else can, in his hands it all looks like miracles. I watched him using the (Top-It) many times with amazement.
I've watched him busking with people on every side, yet no one sees where the iten disappeared to.
Tricky Ricky
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
The Good, the Bad & Ugly caought my eye more than the spots routine.
Hopefully Bill will bring this one out independently.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Hi Richard,
You are an amazing performer and if one of your clients enjoyed my show that is a huge compliment!! Thank you for sharing that and thanks for bringing SPOTS to our attention. I'll have to look into it!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-01-30 16:47, emyers99 wrote:
I read the description and it doesn't seem any different than a standard spot card routine. They give you the option of buying just the routine if you already have the spot card, which is what I would do, but that comes out to $65 including a whopping $15 for shipping. Is there anything different in the routine that warrants that high of a price?

I'm wandering the same thing. Pretty pricey for just a routine that sounds like the standard routine. Now, I could be wrong, maybe there's something extra special with this, but I just can't see what that could be. Anybody?
Check out Bafflingbob.com
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
When you see the props that comes with the routine, you will be satisfied with the price.
I think it's rather cheap for the routine and prop that is supplied.
I've just ordered mine. I won't leave home without it once I get it.
Tricky Ricky
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
You can get the card for $40 at Hocus.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 17:12, emyers99 wrote:
You can get the card for $40 at Hocus.

The card is only the tool. It's how you use the card that is important.
The routine is the thing that's what you pay for.
Tricky Ricky
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Agreed. that's why I'm curious what is so good/different about this routine that it warrants a $65 price for just the routine...especially given that this is a standard item that comes in a lot of beginner magic sets these days. Seems a selling point is that it can apparently be performed surrounded, but that would only be relevant for about 0.1% of all performers.
Merlinhands
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Merlinhands
The method and the routines are the reason. Silent or spoken this "bit" has big impact. This method is a "real solution" or genuine method for a trick that doesn't have one. It has stood me well for over 30 years. The Neilsen card is the best card ever made for this trick. This is not a "standard routine". If you don't know the difference between this method and the routine and others then its not for you. I've been doing Slydini's "Balls over the Head" for over 30 years and I bought Tony Clark's video on this and I love it. Yes, you can get the basic method from Stars of Magic or even the Tarbell course but its not the same as all the details and refinements that can only be provided after years of experience. So, if you want the best card and the best routine for what I call the SPOT card then this is for you.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Okay Guys,

I have to ask. People here regularly complain about the price of only getting a "routine," and not enough physical props for their money.

How much is a routine worth to you that has been time-tested over several decades and in front of thousands of people? Do you have any idea how long it takes to come up with just one joke or gag that works every time, with every audience, let alone a whole routine? How about the time & expense to shoot a DVD, edit a DVD, market a DVD, fulfill orders for a DVD, etc. Remember, we don't produce things in bulk like Proctor & Gamble! The magic community, at least those buying professional props, is relatively small.

I'm grateful that Bill releases these routines. Bill and I have made money on The Sting, but neither of us are going to pay for our kids' college education from what we make releasing an effect. So, I'm just asking. What would you want to pay for these time-tested routines? I would like to see dollar amounts. What is your time worth?

Just curious.

Warm regards,
Lou
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Lou,

I was waiting for someone to bring up this old argument. I spend a ton on magic every year and have no issue paying for time tested killer routines. I do it all the time. All I'm trying to figure out is what makes this routine special... because it's not clear from any of the ad copy. I'm obviously not asking for a run down of the routine itself, I'm just looking for whether the advantages of this routine make it worth the investment.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Do you mean for a routine or for refinement of a routine? I think a routine is worth much, but refinement of a routine is worth maybe, depending on how much, about 10 to 50 % of a routine. I think you are overvaluing your work on The Sting. It is basically a couple of lines and and a move that you have added, then you put it an wallet, which is more of a complication than an addition to the effect. You can get basically the same effect with many other routines. In the end it is of course depending how much people are willing to pay.
There have always been guys that are trying to hype their work, forgetting that they are standing on the shoulders of other people.
"There is no reality, only perception."
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Stellan,

Thank you for sharing your perspective that I am "over-valuing my work on the Sting." Many other professionals would strongly disagree with you, but each person is entitled to his opinion. I certainly respect your right to your opinion.

I'm sorry to disagree with you - I was not talking about The Sting in the above post. I am just trying to get performers to understand things from the creator's point of view. People don't have to agree - but it's an awful thin pancake that doesn't have 2 sides! Smile My intention is not to argue or belittle anyone's opinion. I'm just sharing the other side.

Many professional performers/creators, including Scott Alexander, Cody Fisher and Bill Abbott - take standard items and turn them into solid performance pieces. Denny Haney turned the sword basket into a beautiful and entertaining piece, and Scott Alexander made Denny's routine his own (outstanding job Scott!). In most cases there is nothing "new" - other than subtleties, bits, jokes and routining that can only be honed after years and years of trial and error. Some people, (myself included), value these additions tremendously. I gratefully pay good money to these performers who are willing to share their gems with us. I am rewarded many times over by the fees I receive in the shows that I perform.

As performers, we do exactly the same thing as some are complaining about. We charge what we think is a fair fee for our shows, but we hear things like the following: "You charge $5,000 or $500 (or whatever you happen to charge) for a 60 minute show?" "You make $500 (or whatever) an hour? That means you make $20,000 a week!" People don't realize the time or financial investments that performers have made in creating, developing & refining our shows.

Before Bill Abbott ever marketed The Sting, several years earlier he heard that I had a stage version of Ring Flight and was interested in buying performance rights. We had never met, but had heard of each other through the Magic Café. I sent him a video performance (that was still when people were using VHS!) and told him to pay whatever he thought that it was worth to him, including nothing if he didn't want to use it in his show. He sent me a cheque for $200 - for a VHS copy of my routine. Bill obviously saw it as more than "a few lines and a wallet thrown in." He appreciated the years that we spent perfecting the jokes, timing, premise and audience management. My routine is not for everyone - however many professionals have now incorporated it as a staple into their shows.

There is the constant battle within a professional performer to decide whether or not to release performance pieces that have taken years to refine. Some do it because others are already stealing their material and want credit for it. Some do it for recognition from their performing peers. Some do it for some financial gain. Some just want to add to the art of magic. Most of us do it for a mixture of all of those reasons.

Of course we want to make sure that we are receiving value for what we are paying good money for. I would encourage people to support people they trust. Bill Abbott, Cody Fisher, Scott Alexander, Bill Kohler and others have a track records of releasing professional material that works in real-life performance situations. If they show too much of a routine in a promo, they have given away the meat of what people are buying.

I hope that SPOTS does extremely well. The spot card is a versatile gem and I have used it for years. There have been times that I purchased someone else's routine and one joke or move alone was worth the asking price.

Bill and I have talked about releasing my 15-minute comedy guillotine routine that I have been doing as a standard in my show for nearly 30 years. Basically it is nothing more than an original premise, original jokes (no standard magician's jokes), routining and audience management. Is this something of value to the magic community? If it is inexpensive, everyone will be doing it. It also wouldn't be worth Bill flying across country to shoot it, edit it, design the artwork, etc.

I would like to hear from others. This is a learning experience for me!

With warm regards & appreciation for those who do like my work,
Lou
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bill Abbott (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL