The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paperballs Over the Head (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
A great place for this is at a bar, because you can use crumpled napkins, and even if the spectator looks behind them, the napkins are hidden behind the bar!!!! Smile
Shafique
View Profile
New user
London
57 Posts

Profile of Shafique
Greg Wilson's routine with paper napkins from On the Spot videos is a fun impromptu version and shows how strongly it plays.

He doesn't even try to explain the routine - just says 'you can see how it is done'.

By contrast Slydini's description in the Magic of Slydini ( I haven't got the annotated version.... yet) is detailed. However the routine only came to life for me when I finally got to see Slydini perform on an old tape of his appearance on the Dick Cavet show.

Cheers,
Shafique
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm rather surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Steve Bedwell's routine "In Over Your Head": a combination of "paper balls" and cut-and-restored-rope. I saw him perform it at the Magic Castle and it's hilarious. He had been advised to leave it out of his Castle routine because people would steal it. Please look up his booklet of the same title and buy it; you'll be very happy you did and Steve will get the compensation he deserves.

If you know the routine, you'll appreciate the best patter line, delivered after the "assistent" is given a handful of rope clippings to toss over his shoulder: "Some people call this superstition; I call it 'concealing the evidence'."
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
87 Posts

Profile of dave s
I learned paper balls over the head from another performer who has performed it for years. I am always looking to improve it though.
Has anyone seen the Tony Clark video, and if so, how would you compare it to the Slydini write up......

thanks for your input.

- dave s.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2003-09-20 13:26, S2000magician wrote:
I'm rather surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Steve Bedwell's routine "In Over Your Head"...

I have one word for that routine...BRILLIANT!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2756 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was only able to do it once. I was talking to my wife about seeing Blackstone Jr. doing something and said; "Here, you're going to see what I'm doing because I'm not as good as Blackstone." and did the vanish with a napkin.

She was stunned, she had [no] idea where the napkin went!

But I've never had the nerve to do it in a public setting.
Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Smile ya... this is an amazing brillant and fun effect to do with a fun crowd. But throwing coffee cups??? LOL.... hmm... no sound?? <grin>....

Hmm, what are some other effects like this that really gets fun crowds involved?
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Alex,
I have and perform Powers Of Darkness by Mike Caveney. It is done with large coat hangers, of all things. The audience is in on the effect, but the volunteer has no idea how it's happening. It has the advantage of not being able to be tried by the audience when they get home. I like it quite a lot. But like PBOTH it takes good audience/volunteer management. Check it out.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Is this effect in "MagiComedy"?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
This effect is very funny, I like when Copperfield do it with the eggs, the funny face of the girl kills me

luis
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
In The Best of Syldini... and More he starts with the selection of the spectator. I know that the first time I performed the effect it was just based on having seen Slydini's performance on Dick Cavett. (This was in the days before VCRs so I only saw it once.) When I performed it I completely fooled my helper. In later performances I did not have as much success. I know now that it was because my first helper fit the Slydini profile to a T.

Call it beginners luck.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I use ropes over the head almost every weekend. I've expanded on the original routine a bit. However, one thing that I've learned about any "over the head" routine, is that you can not do this with any children at all watching. If this is in my set for a show and I notice any children in the audience, I immediately switch to something else. No matter what kind of warning I give, the kids just can't keep it to themselves.
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
178 Posts

Profile of juan
Does anybody worry about not treat the spectator as a victim ? If everybody is laughing of him during the routine, wouldn't it became embarassed ?
What could be a good end to change this situation ?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

To answer your first question, I've quite careful about who I choose to do this effect. You're right about the treatment of the victim.

Careful body language before during and after the effect can add greatly to how your "assistant" feels he/she was treated.

I often do everything I can before they sit down to assure them that they have "nothing to worry about", etc.

Afterwards, I'm pat their shoulder, shake their hand, ask for a round of applause.

You are very right to be careful and considerate.

I'm too lazy to answer the second question. It too is a good one. I just need to get back to work.

Frank
runt_jorden
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of runt_jorden
I have the Tony Clark video and really like the trick and get great reactions performing It. I just wonder what you guys do as a follow up IF the spectator look behind his schoulder before you are finish? In my routine I have some gags to cover but I know Tony Clark mention a silk "sucker" routine he does with the spectator. But he does not go into detail on this trick on the dvd, has anyone seen It?
runt_jorden
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of runt_jorden
Has anyone seen Tony Clarks sucker silk routine if the spectator look behind his schoulder?

What do you guys do if the look behind the schoulder?
R. Dunn
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of R. Dunn
Gregory Wilson does a wild version using anything he can get his hands on to throw over their heads!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Good question. What would you do? What comes to mind?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I was at a party one time and a famous race driver, A.J. Foyt, was sitting in front of an open window (4th floor of a hotel) and I tossed all kinds of stuff over his head and out the window!

Another time, in the Army a Sergeant ORDERED me to fool him. We were on the little porch of the barracks and about 100 guys were standing watching. Ther was a coke bottle handy and I just tossed it over his head into the crowd.

He was baffled and P'd off. Next day I spent on KP peeling potatoes.. But it was worth it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Is there any versions on the market or available in print that incorporate a finale?

It's easy to get that plane in the air, but once it's flown around for a while, how do you land it successfully?

It's one of the chief reasons I think Copperfield's version is so good using the chicken as the kicker.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paperballs Over the Head (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL