We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Found this in the paper.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Got Home today from being in Wisconsin...and saw this in the Dec. 25th Edition of The St. Petersburg Times...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/gi....../1207646
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Thanks, Jim. A real nice story about a real nice guy. I enjoy talking to Ward whenever we bump into each other. He is truly a real old school showman and is always nice to the young guys like me.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-04 16:18, Jim Hand wrote:
Thanks, Jim. A real nice story about a real nice guy. I enjoy talking to Ward whenever we bump into each other. He is truly a real old school showman and is always nice to the young guys like me.

He is also very cordial to the Punks like me...
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
One of the reasons I took the gig with Circus Sarasota was to see Ward Hall.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I wish the media would do more stories like this. Love the pic with the banners. Jim, did you paint those banners?

Glenn
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
No, they are not mine. They look like they might be Johnny Meah's work. At least the pictorials. Someone else might have done the lettering...Nice work whoever did it...

In the past I've done a lot of work for Ward and Chris . In recent years I've had to cut back on my workload..I probably turn down enough work to keep someone busy full time
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2918 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Yes, those "banners" are Meah's. It looks like the panels he did on the trucks from old World of Wonder set up. It was the first of Ward's farewell tours. For a few seasons they had the banner line painted on the trucks and parked them end to end to create the show front. It was somewhat like what Ringling used when they were under canvas and carried a sideshow.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Great article! And, a wake-up call to society (talking about side-show fat men):

"I wouldn't give you 50 cents a week for a fat man today because you can go to any buffet restaurant and in two hours see more fat people who would have qualified to appear at a sideshow than you actually would see at a real sideshow." Ain't it the truth!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Indeed they are on one of the PuP trailers...Ward said he would never frame a Solid front Sideshow again as They confused folks w/ a Funhouse or Dark Ride...I have been studying RBBB's old wagon front for years...and if the Economy ever turns around I would like to build 2 of them on a slightly smaller scale (12' long to fold out to 30' each)w/ the CBCB pronounced shadow box effect.. and to be able to haul them on 1 trailer w/ other stuff...I believe the RBBB style would not be as confusing...Either way the Economic forcast keeps it a pipe dream...
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hoxie parked two trailers along one side of the midway. The banners were hung on the trailers. The bally stage and ticket boxes were between the trailers, in the front door. The years I was there, Mongo the gorilla was the main feature. His trailer was parked inside the tent, easily pointed to, from the bally.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

All 3 of the ACME Circus Corp. (CBCB, King, Sells & Gray) Shows parked 2 trailers w/ the Banners painted on them, I also liked that they set up a Marquee and strung a net banner between the trailers..The time I was on Hoxie one of the trailers hauled the Bulls w/a bunkhouse for the Bullmen on the 5th wheel...and other trailer was for the Hoof stock as well as the S.S. equipment..
Evel Knievel

joe faro
View Profile
Regular user
Salida Colorado
156 Posts

Profile of joe faro
Jim Z, can you post a picture of the wagons you like?
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Evel Knievel

jay kirwan
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
107 Posts

Profile of jay kirwan
When I started out in circus, the accomodation for

single guys was in the showfront wagons similar

to those in Jims photo, which was great until a

a windy night when all of the fold out panel support

arms would rattle all night ensuring nobody got any

sleep for all the wrong reasons!!

Was probably the only downside of 2 day stands as on

the one nighters the panels were always dropped once

the show got underway.
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
Hey Jay, You were lucky .I stayed in a sleeper (accomodations is way to nice a word ) in the front of a generator semi for several weeks...
While the noise was beyond bad , it wasn't the worst part. Anyone who has been in, or even touched ,a generator while it's
running will tell you how much they vibrate.
Kevin Gerrone
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gerrone
Jim Hand,
I love your lettering as I think you are the best at it! I unfortunetly havent had that chance to see many of your banner work. How can I see some of the banners you did for Ward and Chris, would love to see any banners you have done on canvas!!!
Jim Hand
View Profile
Regular user
Ocala,Fl.
137 Posts

Profile of Jim Hand
I have only done one banner for Ward and Christ and it was on canvas.... It was the doorway banner for the sideshow they had on TOBY TYLER CIRCUS ( Dick Garden ,owner). There is a very nice picture of Ward and Petey doing a bally infront of it in the TTC program,if you can find one. Afriend found one at the Circus World gift shop last year.It'a double page spread in the centerfold. I also did all the lettering on Toby Tyler .

I have done tons of work for Ward but mostly interior signs ,ticket boxes, etc. Bill Browning and Johnny Meah have done most of his banners,almost ALWAYS on canvas. I did the CIRCUS USA for Ward when he and Christ managed it for Allen C.Hill.

I was always so busy lettering ,sometimes into late night to get a job done so it could leave that I didn't take a lot of pictures. I was sometimes "booked" 6-8 weeks with paint work. I was always glad when it was time to take the circus out. I could relax a bit. I painted the ENTIRE Great American Circus in 72 hrs. ( night and day, non-stop ) one year.We had a lot rain that year and I got so far behind I was telling people to try and find someone else if they could but Allen wanted me to do it. I used to do a lot of over-nighters on the boardwalk.
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

The Banner Jim Hand painted on Canvas for Ward & C.M. for Toby Tyler Circus... ((1985 ish)

http://api.ning.com/files/5tVFwF-nJqvfkD......Hand.jpg

The one he painted for the BCS on heavy vynl...(2008)

http://api.ning.com/files/9Ahi5f91yJeXv0......9375.jpg
Evel Knievel

Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You could ask for better, but why? Jim...superb!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Found this in the paper.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL