The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Giving up your day job? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Received an email on Sunday directing me to a link on his website “due to the high number of requests”.

http://www.mountainmagicperform.com/untitled1.html

The site itself wasn’t what I’d call high quality, but it could just be starting up. The material linked to will disappoint many. The info is good and shows some sound thought, there’s just very little of it. It could actually be posted here on the Café as a single post. Some will probably find it useful.

Perhaps there’s more coming, but so far I’m not terribly impressed.

(Hate doing a pan on someone both new to Café and apparently trying to be helpful, but this is my honest reaction. I hope there’s more!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
davepb
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of davepb
Hi all

As in the last post above by DWRackley. The notes are only a small part of my actual lecture that I have given at conventions. The actual hand out contained many of the actual questionaires and lots more. As I no longer have those compleate notes, they were tossed out with the many other files when I sold up and went traveling. I have made up the abridge notes. The intention was to give fellow magicians a starting point, to give them a few ideas on getting advanced bookings. (My best year using the system, I gave 403 performances,that was at times giving up to three performances a day) The lecture was a hour long talk. What I have posted is to try to give people a few ideas and a starting point. As I said, I am happy to answer questions that it will bring up, and go into more details on points that directly interest them, and the section of magic they perform. boyddp@hotmail.com

As for the quality of my web site, hey guys! I'm 77 and don't profess to being a Tech Head and it's a bit late now to become one. It is a work in progress. I'm on a steep learning curve and it will never be a Wiz Bang site, Of course if DWRackley is offering to build me a free Pro site, I will willingly accept his kind offer.

The responce was miles above what I expected, taking far more time than I had to spare, as a result I have posted them om my web site (As poor as it is) You can go to http://www.mountainmagicperform.com then click on the Lecture Notes button.

Dave
Magic Mountain'sMr. magic
davepb
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of davepb
Since my post I have been asked many questions, I have answered these to the best of my ability privately. Some are possibly of interest to others in simlar situations. I will post some of these over the comming months. To protect the privacy of the questioners I will give a abreviated version of their question. Then my answer.

Question

I have just gone through a break up of my marridge, I now have custody of my 7 year old child and had to move interstate. instead of looking for a new job, I wish to try my hand at magic. I am looking at performing an Anti Bullying show at schools. Do you have any advice?

Answer

You have had a rough trot, I myself when experiencing these set backs, and like most I have experienced mine. For example being comfortably off, a Million plus going down to a few thousand by a bad investment. But what I can't change I dismiss. I firmly believe in the old saying, Use your problems as a stepping stone, not as a stumbling block. Easy to say, but hard to do.

Your idea of the anti bullying magic show is a good one, you might consider including boys/girls groups in this, Scouts, and the like, also the holiday camps you have in the U.S. they are always looking for entertainment, if it is motivational that would be a bonus. The advantage of this would be they are during school holidays, so it would be no problem taking you son with you.

Over here in Australia our libraries put on things for kids during the school holidays, if yours do the same, this would be another outlet.

Many churches have youth organisations attached to them, also Sunday schools, worth approaching, again they operate of an evening or weekends. To me, your biggest problem as far as full time performing is concerned, is having a seven year old as a sole parent that would be a problem touring. Not knowing what your show contains, but assuming it is aimed at the primary school aged group, it would well be worth considering having shows (Different Magic) suitable for different age groups from kindergarten through to University ages. Bullying is not limited to any age group, this would open up the number of venues open to you. Shopping centres here also book entertainment during the school holidays. Give this a thought as ways of working without having to tour too far from home.

If you wish to give me an insight into your show and magic used, I may be able to suggest other magic that would fit into the show.

Just one example the professors nightmare/equal unequal ropes. You could show the three ropes saying something like. "We are all different, not just in size, big, little or in between. Inside we are all the same (Equalise) we all laugh, cry and can be hurt by cruel or unthinking words. or worse still bullying, just because they are different to us. Think next time before picking on some one, just because they are not the same as you, as you are saying this, you return the ropes back to small, medium and large. Just an example of using well known, easy magic and theming it to your message.

Just a though,

Regards
Dave Boyd
Magic Mountain's Mr. Magic. boyddp@hotmail.com
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
Just sent an e-mail. Thanks again so much for offering to share your experiences.

Rik
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
For me I wouldn't want to go full time magician.
I enjoy my main job also.being a part time magician
takes a lot of time too.i believe for me doing it
full time would turn it from fun to work.and I do like a
steady paycheck coming in knowing there will be at least
the same amount of money coming in every week.plus benifits
payed holidays vaction time 401k and most important insurance.
unless you can make it big.you will have to do a lot of shows
every week to bring in what you need to have a comfortable living.
todd
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
My initial complaint wasn’t about the material; it’s good stuff. I’d love see more of it!

I’m working on becoming “more time”. Too much else going on to drop it all. Magic has been in the background for thirty years, and now I have time to develop it.

When I can net $200 in one night, close to home, for about 3 hour’s work, AND it’s something that I really enjoy, man, I’m there! Not traveling at all, and every show is in the same venue. I have no interest in going to people’s home, or visiting their schools. I’d consider corporate gigs (done that YEARS ago Smile ) because a banquet hall wouldn’t be too different from what’s happening now (private restaurant room).

I think what I’d like is a second (or third or fourth) restaurant for nights when I don’t have something else going on.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Giving up your day job? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL