The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Giving up your day job? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
davepb
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of davepb
So, you've bought some magic, read the books, watched the videos, your family all say your amazing,in fact the next Copperfield. Done a few birthday parties and a couple of freeb's for some local charities? This would be a great way to earn your living. Kids are easy to entertain.

Stop right there! Kids are not easy to perform for, they can be the toughest audience, they will eat you alive if they spot even the smallest mistake. On the other hand, they can give you the greatest buzz of your life. As with all of your shows you should practise, practise, practise, the other thing is learning to keep control. Kids can soon take over. There are normaly at least one pain in the butt that can set the rest off. You can't get into a slanging match with him, or he has won. All he wants is attention, so, give him some. Bring him up on stage give him his two minutes of fame. Tell him how good he was, how he would make a good magician when he got a bit older. After that he will be on your side, in fact he will probably keep the rest in line.

If you are a card man or into coin magic forget about kids shows. Your market will be set by the type of magic you perform.

Becoming a full time magician you need to understand, you can't make a living on two or three birthday parties over the weekend.

Where can you perform on weekdays? Try Pre-Schools, Schools, Shopping Centres to name a few.

But the worry of where next weeks or next months money for the rent is coming from, can quickly kill the most enthusiastic performer.

Having just retired age 77, after near a life time as a full time magician. for 25 of those years under contract for all school holidays,to "Magic Mountain fun park" in New South Wales Australia. Outside that, performing over most of Australia, also overseas, places like Club Med, a couple of TV shows etc etc. Over these years I developed a system that saw me booked 12 months in advance with a waiting list of places wanting to get bookings. No, I'm not some super magician, in fact, I'm just a middle of the road performer, I did nothing you can't probably do, as far as the magic is concerned. But I have learned to give them what they want.

Over the years I have lectured at magic conventions about my booking methods. As a way to give back a little to magic, I will send free of charge, a copy of my lecture notes on this subject. Just email me at boyddp@hotmail.com Due to costs I cannot mail hard copies. They will be sent over the net, you can then print them off yourself. Feel free to hand on copies to other magical friends. I wave copy right, providing no fees are charged when reprinting them.

Dave Boyd
Magic Mountain's Mr Magic. Australia.
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
146 Posts

Profile of Lavey
Wrote you a mail. Thanks!
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Ditto.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
163 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Dave

When I started reading your post I was ready for the "I was successful and for only (insert price here) you can get my miracle system". So it was a wonderful surprise to read that you were freely offering your advice, not hawking a new product. Just to avoid criticism you may want to reassure folks that you're not just gathering up email addresses for a spam campaign.

Thanks!
Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
E-mail sent

Magically

Aus
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Just sent an e-mail. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Like Sam I was waiting for the ....for a mere 49.95....I sent you an email thank you so much.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I actually thought this was going to be a discussion about making
a jump to attempting magic full time. Then as I started reading
the passage above I started thinking that it was post of warnning
about making such a jump. As I read further, I started saying,
"ah, I see his angle...".

But it is a generous gesture and offering. Thanks and I can't
wait to read the notes.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
That's really cool. I'll send you an email. Although, I highly doubt I'd quick my job to be a full time magician since I don't think I'd make as much money (a mortage in the city is expensive), but I am curious. If anything, I could use some extra cash on weekends doing something I love.
Keith Brock
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Keith Brock
Thank you for this chance!
MGCF
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of MGCF
It sounds like you have some very valuable insight into what it takes to become a full time magician. Thank you for offering your notes free. Like many I thought this would be an advert with a price.
Mipple
View Profile
New user
London, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mipple
That's extremely generous of you. I'm looking forward to reading what you've got to say on the subject.

Mark
*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
I echo the others thanking you and apreciating your generosity. What a lovely gesture.

E-mail sent Smile

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
EXTREMENINJA1
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of EXTREMENINJA1
Sent an email by magic Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Working for children is hard and it's not hard. The thing is that it has a lot to do with the performer. Some guys are just NOT good with children of any age. Some are. The trick is not so much getting busted, but what you DO with the situation. They can only eat you alive if you let them.

You can't argue with two different types of audience members: Drunks and children. They say they caught you? Ok, just agree. It's all about control, focus, attention, etc. Children like movement, color, situation, noise. Are you a slooooooow performer? Don't work for children. You HAVE to be in control of the PACE of the show without LOSING your audience because you are in a panic.

Best,
Brad Burt
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Thanks for the offer. This is great
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Has someone received these notes yet? Are they worthwhile?
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
I got an e-mail saying that he is in Sydney at the moment and will send the notes once he returns home.

Magically

Aus
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Nice offer, when someone gets their copy could you please post here.

Even though I've been preforming professionally for 12 years am always interested in what experienced performers have to say.
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Pedranti Magic
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Profile of Pedranti Magic
I sent you an e-mail. Thank you so much Dave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Giving up your day job? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL