The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Magicians - Series 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
119 Posts

Profile of timlic
So, another series of "The Magicians" has started on BBC One.

Host, Lenny Henry has been replaced by Darren McCullen (?) and Chris Korn and Luis De Matos have gone, with the brilliant Pete Firman and Jason Latimer. Barry and Stuart continue on from series 1.

I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, but it's hurtful. The Magicians themselves are some of the best in our art, but I feel the 'celebs' ruin the show.

Also, why they don't get a presenter who actually is involved in magic somehow is questionable.

It's a shame as Penn & Teller's Fool Us is great Saturday night viewing. This, in my opinion, is poor.

Over to you...
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1286 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Agree its poor.

It feels clunky and doesn't work live -- and an hour and a half is too long.

I'd ditch the celebs , the phone vote and the forfeit and just concentrate on decent tricks.

P & T Fool Us is a million times better

By the way, not disparaging the magicians as I know they are decent and they have proved it on other shows, but this show , with its skilling down to enable zelebs to do the tricks , does them no favours at all.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
946 Posts

Profile of Riley
Dire
*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
Are we not guilty of looking at the show like Magicians?? Don't get me wrong, I agree it wasn't the most entertaining of magic shows I've ever seen (hopefully get better each week) BUT I feel the general public will like it. They know that they aren't gonna see the most amazing magic because it's involving Celebs but it does make good entertainment.

I sat there and knew how some tricks were done, had a good idea about others whilst some (mainly illusions) I had no clue how they were done. You have to remember that laymen will not KNOW how they are done and will only have a guess how they are done, most will baffle them.

I would much rather watch P&T fool us or a Dynamo/David Blaine special etc. as there is more chance I will "be fooled"!!....'The Magicians' is aimed at the general public and as such I thought it was a pretty decent opening show.

I'm just glad to see magic return to primetime TV and is a welcome break from the usual reality rubbish I have to endure the majority of the year.

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
timlic
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham
119 Posts

Profile of timlic
AA,

I agree with most of what you say. It's the production of the show that gripes me.

The effects and magicians I cannot fault, but the 'celebs' factor of the show I don't understand. Also, as for being live, I personally think that's a mistake. As Ray says, it's 'clunky'
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1286 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
AA,

Yep, not inclined to disagree with you at all.

But I think the big problem is that some idjit has decided it would be clever to have a magic show that incorporates all the elements of the Talent Show formula, like X Factor, Dancing on Ice and Celebrity Come Dancing.

The only thing we haven't got is a judging panel.

For me all this is a bad idea...when you just let a master craftsman get on with their job without being weighed down by all this talent show guff, you'll get a much better show.
*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
Timlic,

Yep, agree with both of you that it shouldn't be live. Didn't flow smooth as a show, "clunky" describes it just nicely Smile

Ray,

You're right, although the celebrities are here to stay they should definitely ditch the voting lines and if there has to be a "loser" then the good old fashioned studio audience should decide.

Much room for improvement but MUCH better than the aforementioned reality shows...!! Smile

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
I strongly support the idea of pointless boy band members being shoved in zorbs with water and detergent and then rolled down large hills for the public's amusement. Excellent. Zorb some sense into them.

I like that it's live, it adds immediacy and danger and that's well worth the clunkiness in my view. It'll be better once everyone settles into it and tries to forget that they're performing tricky, angle-sensitive sleight of hand live in front of 6 million people. Smile
illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
120 Posts

Profile of illusion123
Bring back Lenny Henry.I thought the presenter of this show looked nervous and fluffed a few of his lines. I think this show needs a experienced well known presenter, and the duration of the show is too long. These are my initial thoughts on the show. I must admit I kept on falling asleep throughout the show and did not find it that thrilling. I will watch it again and the presenter might grow in confidence and I might grow to like it.

Chris Wild a.k.a Kris Krendo - Magician
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
A certain magician has been slating Barry and Stuart on Facebook for poor execution of their tricks.

Maybe he forgets that he was responsible for exposing psychological magic as BS and raising awareness of gimmicked decks via the P&T show.

People in glass houses etc...
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » The Magicians - Series 2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL