The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Eventective (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I have been looking for ways to secure more gigs for my mentalism show. Does anyone have experience with Eventective, where they charge you for each lead? Not sure if I am going down a good path or not?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
All you can do is try. You have to stick with advertising that's the key.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yes, they charge for each lead Rpierce. Its $2.50. Mostly I discovered wedding planners looking for venues on there but I try to vary my marketing so its one of many options out there.

Have you tried Gigmasters?
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Totally worthless for me. I sprung for the big package too.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Sorry to hear that Bunky. I have booked one gig from them but at the same time the client contacted me via another internet listing so nothing from them solo as of yet.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
In general, the leads I've received have been variable. Often I get a lead because the client has expressed some interest in "entertainment" (but not specifically magic) I ignore those leads. I haven't booked a show through them yet but I'm still going through my free leads. If you search the Café, an Eventective rep was offering a bunch of free leads for Café members to try the service out. It might be worth seeing if that deal is still on the table.
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I've found a few blogs calling it a scam and lots of disappointed people.

gigmasters is probably next for me
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
I take the pay as you go listing with eventective. The $2.50 per lead mentioned. If you don't want to respond to a lead because it is not an event you would normally do, then you don't pay anything.

I get a viable lead from them about once or twice a year. In fact, I got one just yesterday for a college gig.

I would not buy a package from them, but I would not buy a package from any of the "gig" or "party" talent sites. However, for a free listing, you haven't got much to lose.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I still trying to get gigs from them. All I can do is try and hope. At least when I call a potential client, they did not hang up on me. Smile
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
The road to success is paved with many failures.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I received several leads from them over the past month or so and at first the leads seemed genuine, so I paid the $2.50 but could never reach the client (no phone given, just email. Then I noticed what seemed to be a patter of talk, where the client is suggesting that budget is no limit and that they want the best show , the best catering and the best everything to ensure the "WOW" factor. Have a look at the text sent to me below. It really is starting to smell like scam, but I cannot be sure. It's as if Eventective writes the text and sends it to the magician, just to get their $2.50 $2.50 is not a lot, but $2.50 t+ $2.50 + $2.50 x 1,000 ...well, it is still not a lot, but it is something.

Has anyone actually booked a show through Eventective.

If I am wrong, and they are legit, then I apologize.

At this point, I look forward to heating from a fellow Café member that knows first-hand that this company and their lead system is legit through actually booking a show (or shows), not more conjectures like my own, based on intuition, or second-guessing.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

PS: Below is a text that I coied and psted as an example. Note the part that says: "...needs to be stand out, memorable, unique and have a WOW factor, food must be second to none."

OK, I admit, wanting the best show possible is a reasonable request from someone iwth a 25K budget (though, it's not like a $250K budget! :0 But the wording is, to me, almost cliche and rings of spam, especially since I recall receiving a similar Eventective lead/quote request not long ago that used the exact same words : Wow factor" and "second to none". Also, this prospect says somehting about "...working for a phara company. " when we know they meant to write "pharma". And "venues" is mis-spelled too. OK, just small typos, but it is in their industry and you would think they would proof before sending (ok, maybe not. aAfter all my very own posting is riddled with typos too! :0

Still...
---------

Total Event Budget: $25000
Planner's Comments: Looking to showcase the unique charm of Montreal, showcase the European connection, arts, culture - host a closing party for 65-70 conference attendees aged 35-45 60/40 female male, working for a phara company. Looking to host a cocktail, dinner, or food station social, entertaining party - possible theme considerations would be Cabaret, VIP, Cirque - atmosphere and venuse needs to be stand out, memorable, unique and have a WOW factor, food must be second to none. Looking to secure entertainment for the evening and group activities for other times during the conference.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We discussed it here previously. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
The owner of the business replies because of the bad word of mouth.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for this old but relevant link Dynamike. Just re-confirms what I thought. Eventective is a waste of time and money. Organic SEO is still the best way to go... and of course word ofo mouth and opro-active marketing to qualified prospects. At least this works for us. Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
It has been a few years since I have booked any shows from Eventective. It seems that the only leads I have gotten lately have been for venues like weddings, and they are asking a year in advance and only for "Entertainment," so everything is very much in the early formative stage. On top of that, the only contact given is an email and no phone number. I avoid these like the plague, as you will never hear back from them, so you end up well outside the refund window.

Bob Phillips

P.S. I am finding the same thing with Thumbtack, but they charge $5.50 per each lead.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Thumbtack has never sent me a lead that has ever returned any of my calls. They are mostly price shoppers from 150 miles away from my house. I'm about to throw in the towel in on them.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think Eventective is not what it use to be. The scam can come from anywhere, I got one the other day (I am sure others also got it) from Gig Masters.

This is the email I got from this crook, they even listed a phone number!

Thanks so much for the response, here is more details about the event, it is an award night party for our staffs and for our customers, It will hold on the 25th of January 2013 starting from 9 pm till 3 am, and you are to perform for 2 hours, I will like to know how much your charges will be. It will hold in New Jersey.Estimate of 300 guest will attend the award night and you can perform magic for some individuals but the most important is to perform it for everyone on the stage.

Concerning the flight and hotel you are to lodge in, we have our booking agent that will handle that and book your flight to and fro for you, so please kindly calculate your charges and let me know.Please get back to me with your charges alone cos the flight ticket will be booked for you from here.

Thanks I await your response soonest. I look forward for a great performance from you.

Cheers
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
The above is easy to know its a scam. I played it out. I called him at the time of emails (3 am over in Nigeria) and he said he could not answer cause it would wake his family.

No spaces after period and the word "COS" are sure giveaways.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Eventective sent me a lead today and I paid the $2.50 fee to view the contact details.

However, I was very disappointed to find out (after my credit card was charged) that they did not provide a phone number, and the email address was FAKE.

I have contacted them and requested a refund, out of principle. Even though it's just $2.50, I hate being scammed. ...I haven't received a reply yet.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Were you able to get a refund?

Sam
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
They refund you money when a lead is not good. Fish around on the site...you can do it yourself. They are good about the refunds but I have only one gig from them in 3 years.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
In order to get a refund, you have to join now for a pricey fee per year. I use to get refunds regularly from them and quit after they wanted more money from me. I see so much of the money grab the last few years from on line booking sites.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Eventective (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL