The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Me performing sub trunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
Heres my performance of the subtrunk. Please feel free to criticize me, it helps greatly, thank you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p1nU-MjAiI
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Luke...
Very, Very Nice! You and Olivia are doing a very good job and performing very smoothly. I especially liked the transition at the climatic moment of your re-appearance when the curtain drops...very smooth, very natural.

OK..now for the criticism that you want! Because I understand you are to be performing this in competition and you would like to be very professional and to shine!!

--Luke, it's not just you performing! You are in the sub-trunk and "off stage" in about 18 seconds. You are out of sight of the audience for a major portion of the routine and you do not reappear until a minute later. The performance lasts only about two minutes. So, remember...It is "Our" performance...not "My" performance...<wink!> Your assistant is playing a major role here and she is on-stage nearly as long as you are. (Go Olivia!)

--That being said, try to match the energy that you provide and the energy that Olivia provides to the show so that the pace and feel of the performance remains consistent throughout. One of you should not out shine the other...you should totally complement each other.

--Luke, you have time at the beginning of the Illusion to really make a big entrance and open the act. Introduce your assistant, point out all of the props to the audience, etc. Build major drama before you actually begin performing the illusion. Not sure if you will be performing silent or using patter. If you will be performing silent, it would be nice to see you pantomine a "patter" to show the trunk is solid, the rope is real, the hasps are secure, there are three (count 'em, 3!) serious locks and one very special key! Before you enter the trunk, you could gesture to Olivia, thump your chest once, gesture a pointed finger to the air, gesture to the inside of the cabinet, return your hand to your chest and bow head momentarily....and then ... go! (meaning: And now My Assistant Olivia will place Me, The Great Luke!, inside this cabinet..at great personal peril!)

--Put the key away somewhere...tied up in a velvet bag perhaps and hang it off to the side on a stand or hand it to an audience member to hold.

--Olivia, take some time at each of the locks to stop, pose, smile at the audience, and with a big gesture show the lock up high, pause, place the lock, pose again and then move onto the next lock. After all three locks are secure, jump on the trunk, stand tall and strike a pose, THEN...reach down grab the curtain and bring it up.

--Luke, make sure the curtain is pre-set well ahead of time for Olivia and will not be dificult for her to bring up onto the trunk. She had to struggle with it a bit. You may want to provide her a step to get up on the trunk easier.

--After your reveal, you do a nice job of acknowledging the audience and allowing them time to appreciate the magic moment and for applause...very good! Make it just a little bigger and stretch it a little longer! SMILE! Once the applause is coming down, gesture to them "But Wait!" and then procede to reveal the substitution of your Assistant!

--I like your routine as you go through the unlocking of the trunk...However, return to the same spot on center after each and every lock. Show it forward..then as you maintain eye contact with the audience move the lock to your side...then drop it. You are dropping the lock in front of your body and the audience cannot see it fall clearly. Move more quickly through the three hasps after the locks are removed to keep the pace up--you lost a little momentum there.

--Nice moves on the reveal of Olivia! But once she appears...give a second "Tada!" to the audience. Then help your assistant out of the box...take bows together in front... and then make sure to thank her for her performance before taking a final bow...(Mime: Ladies and Gentlemen...a big hand for my assistant Olivia! [you face front... extend left hand, look left..extend right hand, look right...and gesture to your assistant! you could even applaud a second or too) Then take her hand...and together..step front..both arms up! bow! both arms up! bow!

You have a very nice sub-trunk routine! I hope you find my little fine points helpful...Best of Luck in your competition and Thank you for sharing.

Warmest Regards...
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thanks very much, I'm glad for the thoughts. I do have a four minute time limit and I'm doing a candle act before so time is limited. But your suggestions will be used in a normal show. I will make sure to show this to Olivia. Thanks again.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Luke- I too will say nice job so far!

might I make a few suggestions. especially as you need to move faster.

there are several things you can do to gain more time and allow yow to show case you and your assitant.

lets start with what you can do to shave some time off and allow you to focus on more important things

first - hang the locks on the clasp prior to starting the routine this way she does not have to keep walking over and bending down to pick up a lock- this alone will shave off 7-9 seconds! it will also make it more smooth. (dont have the clasp under the locks) so that she can just open the trunk and then after she puts you in and lowers the lid the locks are right there in position. hope you understand

second- after the switch and you are unlocking the trunk as you unlock each lock flip the clasp at that point instead of walking back around lifting each one after you unlock them all. this again will save you several seconds.

as for the performance it self good job and here are a few tips to work on
one-you getting in try to get in by lifing your left leg forward and up and over (verses leaning over and showing your butt to every one) in other words satand sideways lift your left leg in to the box and then your right leg it will look a lot more professional and should be easier for you as well.

two- I really think you assitant is cute and plays well and she needs to play up that cuteness and look at the audience more.

three- get her a stool to stand on so that she can easily get on the trunk.

I don't think she had trouble with the curtain however it did appear that you have it made from PVC pipe and it can change sizes. just make sure it is all the way open on the floor prior to doing the illusion so that she can lift it easier.

I whole heartily agree that you need to help her out of the box - untie her first and then help her out. either help lift her out or put the stool there and help her or kneel down and let her get out and use your bended kneed to stand on as she exist the box.

take the bow together as this is some thing "WE" did not just you.

again good job and you will do great.

that's all I have for now and I don't want to over load you. keep practicing that is the best advice I can give you - as the more you do it the better you will get and the more things you will discover on your own.

magically yours

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thanks Sam I like your ideas, I am working on the curtain though it was sewn too short for the pipe to extend to full length. Thank you. =)
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Your welcome luke,

feel free to search my website or youtube for my presentation of the subtrunk to get some ideas and it will help you understand some of what I said as this is info right from my routine too.

good luck
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

I watched your performance I got a better idea of what you meant with the locks. Thanks.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Luke:

Love it! I made and performed the subtrunk when I was about 16. Haven't done it since...but you have inspired me (now that I am 47!) do do it again!

THANKS to you and Olivia!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
I thought it was awesome. I was afraid you were gonna bump your head on that ceiling Smile
I think if you're closing a four minute comp. with it, you've got it about right.
Mike
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Glad to hear it! I have been working on illusions and I love it. I hope to make it big sometime. Thank you!
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Yeah the trunk is larger than most and my head hits the roof a lot but its made of sponge like material so I'm ok. The competition is for all talents but I had to win a county fair contest to get to the state one so I'm excited for it. Thank you! =)
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 20:28, Mike Maturen wrote:
Love it! I made and performed the subtrunk when I was about 16. Haven't done it since...but you have inspired me (now that I am 47!) do do it again!

Wow, Mike, we're the same age and did the sub trunk at the same time! 30 years of cheesecake and pizza takes the trunk off the propgram unless folks want to see the world's slowest metamorphisis accompanied by the less than musical crackling of joints, grunts and huffing and puffing. It's a younger man's game and Luke can have it. Great video, Luke, and great advice all!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOL!

Quote:
On 2012-01-10 13:19, that'sJustWrong! wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-09 20:28, Mike Maturen wrote:

Wow, Mike, we're the same age and did the sub trunk at the same time! 30 years of cheesecake and pizza takes the trunk off the propgram unless folks want to see the world's slowest metamorphisis accompanied by the less than musical crackling of joints, grunts and huffing and puffing. It's a younger man's game and Luke can have it. Great video, Luke, and great advice all!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I am 42 as of January 7th and I still perform the sub trunk 100 times or more a year! I don't plan to stop any time soon.

Luke glad you watched my video to get a better idea of the locks I really think it will shave off some time and clean it up a bit.

let us know how you do in the compitition!!!

sam
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Well, Sam, I suppose I could build a new one. It would need to be 3" plywood to support my weight, of course, and a chair lift or cattle hoist of some sort to get in and out of it would be helpful. We can add some othhopaedic cushions to lay on inside and the handcuffs can't be as hard to open as child-proof pill bottles. Sigh. Good luck, Luke, I still have my money on ya!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how I do in the competition. I will probably put my candle act on youtube sometime. Thanks again. =)
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
That's just wrong........ I like your attitude, do what you gotta do so you can do it...LOL. I totally understand. My poor wife is the one with the scraped shins from trying to be fast, and me always getting in the way to give her what we call a clear shot...LOl.
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Is beautiful to see youngs magicians that will be the future of Magic one day!

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
That'sjustwrong--- YOU KNOW- this could be a very funny routine...hmmmm

sorry to hear that it is not in your plans to do so but keep up thet good work and have fun what ever you do,.

yes my assitant has banged up her shins, elbows, however there was that one day while putting the lid on that she nearly knocked me out! LOL

sam
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thank you. =) I've never seen a comedy sub trunk performance, that could be a good idea. =)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Me performing sub trunk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL