We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Me performing sub trunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Yeah, now you guys have got me thinking and that's NEVER a good thing. Introduce Houdini's original assistant... trying to get the walker to fit into the trunk... putting him in a giant pill bottle cause everyone knows they're impossible for us old folks to open... threatening to do the Chinese Prune Juice Torture Cell... or a sub-coffin... going on with the show as he does a 30 minute escape...

Sorry, Luke, looks like we hijacked your thread!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfLuke
I love the ideas! =) This could be really funny especially because there aren't that many comedy illusions. You could use an assistants revenge type curtain with a hospital curtain design. =) So many ideas. It would be nice to make a change from a normal sub trunk routine. Keep the idea alive! =)
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Dear Luke
You did a wonderful job. At your age I couldn't have done better.

Don't worry about the speed of the switch, that will come with time. At this point smooth and focused movement is more important. Work with your assistant to try and establish a proximity awareness, in other words learn how each other moves so that you can anticipate each others movement.

Consider your choreography carefully, you are telling a story to the audience with the language of movement and not words. You could also smile a little more. I have that problem too.

With Respect
Jonathan Pendragon
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

WOW! Thanks! I Love your performance of it, I actually showed olivia a video of you performance so she could get an idea of what we were doing!.=) Thanks for the advice I will use it for sure. Would your dvd help me with some of the things mentioned above? Thanks again! =)
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Luke,

The Pendragons DVD's are highly recommended! (you will learn a lot from the Maestro)
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I'm impressed, Luke, your mind is already churning out good ideas for other projects. Look at everything you see with a "How would I put my own stamp on that?" eye and you're going to give Jonathan a run for his money some day! As for myself, well, look for people complaining about a comedy sub trunk show soon! I wrote a first draft last night that's going to make magic purists come after me with torches and pitchforks Smile
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
KungFuMagic
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Well, I cannot compete with thye sage advice so far.

I can offer a simple, basic consideration. Be cautious with your lighting and position of trunk. At time marker :14 and again around :16 I got a brief flash of something that made me think about it. I don't know if it's because I know how the effect goes . . . but something to be mindful of since you don't have ultra tight carpentry. The black curtain will be great camoflage . . . just might be worth paying attention to the light positions and moving the parts quickly so it flows right past anything the audience might notice.
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thank you, I will buy the pendragon dvd for sure. I like the idea of a comedy illusion too. (I was pretty excited when I saw Jonathan Pendragon) =)
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Hi Luke,
There's sooooo much info on the internet in re to the Pendragons, that sometimes a researcher might miss this. In the 50th edition of the Guinness Book of World Records the Pendragons were named the fastest transformation illusionists in the world. And somewhere I read that their switch was so fast that it couldn't be captured on a 35mm camera. WOW! Bottom line, you're off to a great start and the advice you received should be taken very literally.
God Bless,
Bill
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Smile that's cool! I'm working on the routine but I don't see any major changes by the time of the competition (next week) but I will for sure put the advice to use. Smile
M&M Magic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of M&M Magic
Hey Luke! Great job dude! I am fifteen and my brother is fourteen! We have been performing for over 5 years and we also do the sub trunk! Yours is very nice keep up the good work! Practice everyday and you will gradually get quicker with the transition! Best of luck!

Bobby Smile
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thanks, our switch has gotten faster since the video and as I rewatch it I think it looks slow but that's because I wanted to drop the curtain at the transition in the music. What do you think is more important to the audience if I cant have both, the curtain dropping at the transition of the music or the switch a second faster? I would think the transition because in the eyes of an audience member they would like it just the same if the switch was a second faster or slower. By comparing videos it seems its only the magician who cares if the speed is slower than normal by a second. I'm not saying you should wait ten seconds if that's how far away the transition is, just that if it's close enough should you wait. I'd love to hear your opinion on which is more important. Smile Thanks!
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Luke,
It would be nice to see another rehearshal video so we could see the changes you made and comment again...can you post?

I say go with the music and match the climatic drop to the transition in your music. Sure, make the switch a second faster if you can...but work on the overall timing so that the drop still comes at the right place in the music. If you study the Pendragon's video, you will see how their routine is so very carefully choreographed. They obviously know where and when they are supposed to be for each and every beat of their music!

So...that being said...If you have shaved off a second in your switch...Then you now have a second to use in the lead up to the transition and drop. Make wise use of the second to increase the drama or showmanship of the preparations. Reinforce your story ... make sure the audience really understands that the red ribbon thingey is the key to the locks that have you secured in the trunk for instance. Or, emphasize some other important lead up moment.

Make the whole routine dance!
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Thanks, I was unclear with my question. I could have dropped the curtain a second earlier but I didn't so that when I did drop it, it would happen at the transition of the music. Was that a good choice or not? Smile
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hi Luke,
No...I got your question...Sorry, I probably could have been more clear with my feedback!!!

My original vote was for going with the music. However, I went back and viewed your video again (with the sound turned up). The music is nice, but the "cue" at that point of the performance is not that big...so I would go with dropping the curtain just as fast as you can to get the most of your effect. Show all the speed you have...its very impressive.

If your music transition or cue happens to come a second later, you can make use of that by timing your jump off the trunk lid to the music or by doing some other kind of "Tada!" to evoke applause.
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

I completely agree! As I was think I obviously did not have an audience in the video and in a real performance the clapping and cheering would be the change when I drop the curtain. I never really thought of that because I have not performed it live yet and that's the only way to gain the knowledge you need to become a better performer. Thank you. Smile
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Here is my candle act, it is a little bit dark but you can still see the candles. Let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3bS3M3g1......3ntRPGyk
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

Im going to my competition in about an hour! Smile
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
530 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
I would put some foam in your prop box so you don't hear anything when you put the silk in at the end - your silk makes a sound lol

And look a bit more to the audience during the act & smile. (tease them with your magic)

Another little detail, you put the silk on your shoulder only to take it back to produce the 3th candle. better is to put the silk over the edge of your prop box, show both candles each in one hand (giving a reason to put the silk there) take both candles back in one hand, take the silk from the box & produce the 3th candle or find a reason to put it on your shoulders.maybe if you do the same but turn first to your left, then to your wring to show the 2 candles it would make it more interesting and less suspicious.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your competition!
TheMagicOfLuke
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
201 Posts

I won a county competition to compete in the state one, but there was no catergory for magicians so I performed and they gave me an ”Honorary Mention" certificate. I geuss I'm going to some magic competitions now. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Me performing sub trunk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL